Generic name: uridine triacetate 951mg in 1g
Dosage form: oral granules
Medically reviewed on February 14, 2018.
- Adults: 10 grams (1 packet) orally every 6 hours for 20 doses, without regard to meals.
Pediatric: 6.2 grams/m2 of body surface area (not to exceed 10 grams per dose) orally every 6 hours for 20 doses, without regard to meals. The VISTOGARD dose to be administered at 6.2 grams/m2 is presented in Table 1. Measure the dose using either a scale accurate to at least 0.1 gram, or a graduated teaspoon accurate to ¼ teaspoon. Discard any unused portion of granules. Do not use granules left in the open packet for subsequent dosing.
Table 1 VISTOGARD Pediatric Dose Based on Body Surface Area (m2) Patient Body Surface Area
Table 1 VISTOGARD 6.2 grams/m2/dose* Dose in Grams Dose in Graduated Teaspoons 0.34 to 0.44 2.1 to 2.7 1 0.45 to 0.55 2.8 to 3.4 1 ¼ 0.56 to 0.66 3.5 to 4.1 1 ½ 0.67 to 0.77 4.2 to 4.8 1 ¾ 0.78 to 0.88 4.9 to 5.4 2 0.89 to 0.99 5.5 to 6.1 2 ¼ 1.00 to 1.10 6.2 to 6.8 2 ½ 1.11 to 1.21 6.9 to 7.5 2 ¾ 1.22 to 1.32 7.6 to 8.1 3 1.33 to 1.43 8.2 to 8.8 3 ¼ 1.44 and above † 10.0 1 full packet †
- Administer VISTOGARD as soon as possible after an overdose or early-onset toxicity within 96 hours following the end of fluorouracil or capecitabine administration.
- Administer full course of VISTOGARD (20 doses) as directed.
Preparation and Administration
- Mix each VISTOGARD dose with 3 to 4 ounces of soft foods such as applesauce, pudding or yogurt and ingest within 30 minutes. Do not chew the VISTOGARD granules. Drink at least 4 ounces of water.
- If a patient vomits within 2 hours of taking a dose of VISTOGARD, initiate another complete dose as soon as possible after the vomiting episode. Administer the next dose at the regularly scheduled time.
- If a patient misses a dose at the scheduled time, administer that dose of VISTOGARD as soon as possible. Administer the next dose at the regularly scheduled time.
- Administer VISTOGARD via a nasogastric tube (NG tube) or gastrostomy tube (G-Tube) when necessary (eg, severe mucositis or coma). Follow the instructions below for each dose administration:
- Prepare approximately 4 fluid ounces (about 100 mL) of a food starch-based thickening product in water and stir briskly until the thickener has dissolved.
- Crush the contents of one full 10 gram packet of VISTOGARD granules to a fine powder.
- Add the crushed VISTOGARD granules to 4 ounces (about 100 mL) of the reconstituted food starch-based thickening product. For pediatric patients receiving less than 10 grams, prepare the mixture at a ratio of no greater than 1 gram per 10 mL of reconstituted food starch-based thickening product and mix thoroughly.
- After administration of the mixture using the NG tube or G-Tube, flush the tube with water.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Vistogard (uridine)
- Vistogard Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: miscellaneous uncategorized agents
Other brands: Xuriden