Thiola EC Tablets Dosage
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on March 15, 2021.
Generic name: TIOPRONIN 100mg
Dosage form: tablet, delayed release
2.1 Recommended Dosage
Pediatrics: The recommended initial dosage in pediatric patients weighing 20 kg and greater is 15 mg/kg/day. Avoid dosages greater than 50 mg/kg per day in pediatric patients [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1), Use in Specific Populations (8.4)].
2.2 Preparation and Administration Instructions
For patients who cannot swallow the tablet whole, THIOLA EC can be crushed and mixed with applesauce. Administration of THIOLA EC with other liquids or foods has not been studied and is not recommended.
- Crush the THIOLA EC tablet in a clean pill crusher or mortar and pestle. Always crush one tablet at a time.
- Measure approximately one tablespoon of applesauce and transfer it into a container with the crushed THIOLA EC tablet.
- Mix the crushed THIOLA EC tablet in the applesauce until the powder is well dispersed.
- Administer the entire THIOLA EC-applesauce mixture to the patient’s mouth immediately. (However, if this is not possible, the mixture can be stored in a refrigerator for up to 2 hours after adding the crushed tablet to the applesauce. Discard any mixture that has not been given within 2 hours.)
- To assure that any leftover applesauce mixture from the container is recovered, add tap water to the same container, mix, and have the patient drink the water.
Assess for proteinuria before treatment and every 3 to 6 months during treatment [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
More about Thiola EC (tiopronin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Imprints, Shape & Color Data
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: miscellaneous genitourinary tract agents
- FDA Approval History
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.