DDAVP Nasal Spray Dosage
Generic name: Desmopressin Acetate 0.1ug in 1mL
Dosage form: nasal spray
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 8, 2020.
Important Administration Instructions
Administer DDAVP Nasal Spray by intranasal use only. Instruct patients about appropriate fluid restriction during DDAVP Nasal Spray treatment [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
Must prime the spray pump prior to the first use. Instruct patients to:
- Prime pump by pressing down on pump four times (if the spray pump is not used for one week, re-prime the pump by pressing down on the pump once).
- Discard DDAVP Nasal Spray after 50 sprays since the amount delivered thereafter may be substantially less than the recommended dosage.
The use of DDAVP Nasal Spray is not indicated for patients who require less than 10 mcg doses or doses that are not multiples of 10 mcg because the spray pump can only deliver doses of 10 mcg [see Indications and Usage (1)]. If other doses are required, use another desmopressin acetate product.
Individualize the dosage of DDAVP Nasal Spray for each patient with particular attention in pediatric and elderly patients and adjust according to the diurnal pattern of response to limit nocturia and to ensure fluid intake with respect to urine output is not excessive [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)]. Monitor continued response to DDAVP Nasal Spray by urine volume and osmolality to ensure adequate diuresis to limit the risk of hyponatremia, and include measurements of serum sodium and plasma osmolality as needed.
The recommended dosage in adults is 10 mcg once daily into one nostril up to 40 mcg once daily (or 40 mcg divided into two or three daily doses). If administered more than once a day, adjust for an adequate diurnal rhythm of urine output.
- For pediatric patients requiring doses less than 10 mcg, DDAVP Nasal Spray is not indicated.
- For pediatric patients 4 years of age and older, the recommended starting dosage of DDAVP Nasal Spray is 10 mcg once daily into one nostril. The dose can be titrated up to 30 mcg once daily (or 30 mcg divided into two daily doses, typically with 20 mcg given in the morning and 10 mcg given at nighttime). If administered more than once a day, adjust for an adequate diurnal rhythm of urine output.
Because administration of desmopressin acetate can been associated with decreased responsiveness with prolonged use, consider increasing the dosage of DDAVP Nasal Spray if patients demonstrate decreased response over a long period of time.
Switching Between Desmopressin Acetate Formulations
When switching from the desmopressin acetate injection to DDAVP Nasal Spray, administer 10 times the amount of desmopressin acetate, rounding down to the nearest 10 mcg.
When switching from the desmopressin acetate tablets to DDAVP Nasal Spray individual dose titration is required because intranasal desmopressin is approximately 10 to 40 fold more potent than oral (tablet) desmopressin.
Frequently asked questions
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about DDAVP Nasal (desmopressin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- 3 Reviews
- Drug class: antidiuretic hormones
- FDA Alerts (2)