Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 16, 2020.
Generic name: interferon beta-1a 30ug in 0.5mL; ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL
0.7mL in 1mL
Dosage form: injection, solution
AVONEX is administered intramuscularly.
The recommended dose is 30 micrograms once a week. To reduce the incidence and severity of flu-like symptoms that may occur when initiating AVONEX therapy at a dose of 30 micrograms, AVONEX may be started at a dose of 7.5 micrograms and the dose may be increased by 7.5 micrograms each week for the next three weeks until the recommended dose of 30 micrograms is achieved (see Table 1). An AVOSTARTGRIP™ kit containing 3 titration devices can be used for titration and is to be used only with AVONEX Prefilled Syringes.
1 Dosed once a week, intramuscularly
|AVONEX Dose1||Recommended Dose|
|Week 1||7.5 micrograms||1/4 dose|
|Week 2||15 micrograms||1/2 dose|
|Week 3||22.5 micrograms||3/4 dose|
|Week 4+||30 micrograms||full dose|
Important Administration Instructions (All Dosage Forms)
AVONEX dosage forms (prefilled syringe and prefilled autoinjector) are single-dose. See Patient's Instructions for Use for complete administration instructions.
The first AVONEX injection should be performed under the supervision of an appropriately qualified healthcare professional. If patients or caregivers are to administer AVONEX, train them in the proper intramuscular injection technique and assess their ability to inject intramuscularly to ensure the proper administration of AVONEX.
Advise patients and caregivers to:
- Rotate injection sites with each administration to minimize the likelihood of injection site reactions, including necrosis or localized infection [see Warnings and Precautions (5.4)]
- NOT inject into an area of the body where the skin is irritated, reddened, bruised, infected or scarred in any way
- Check the injection site after 2 hours for redness, swelling, or tenderness
- Contact their healthcare provider if they have a skin reaction and it does not clear up in a few days
Parenteral drug products should be inspected visually for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration, whenever solution and container permit.
A 25 gauge, 1” needle for intramuscular injection with AVONEX prefilled syringe may be substituted for the 23 gauge, 1 ¼” needle by the healthcare provider, if deemed appropriate. A 25 gauge, 5/8” needle specific to the prefilled autoinjector is supplied with the AVONEX PEN® Administration Dose Pack. DO NOT use any other needle with the autoinjector.
Use safe disposal procedures for needles and syringes. DO NOT re-use needles, prefilled syringes, or autoinjectors. Following the administration of each titrated dose, discard any remaining product.
Frequently asked questions
- How does Avonex work for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)?
- How and where do you inject Rebif?
- How long can Avonex be unrefrigerated?
- What is Rebif used for and how does it work?
- Does Rebif suppress the immune system?
- How do you use the Avonex pen injector?
More about Avonex (interferon beta-1a)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.