User Reviews for Ursodiol to treat Primary Biliary Cholangitis

Also known as: Actigall, Urso, Urso Forte, Reltone

Ursodiol has an average rating of 9.5 out of 10 from a total of 13 ratings for the treatment of Primary Biliary Cholangitis . 100% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Ursodiol Rating Summary

9.5/10 average rating

Compare all 9 medications used in the treatment of Primary Biliary Cholangitis .

Reviews for Ursodiol

Lucy · Taken for 10 years or more August 29, 2019

“I was diagnosed with stage 2 PBC (primary biliary cholangitis) eighteen years ago. I promptly went on Actigall and was switched to Ursodiol about a year later. My recent tests show me to still be in stage 2. This drug seems to have stopped the progress of the disease with very few side effects. I take two pills per day. If I forget to take my morning dose, I am dead tired by midday--a great reminder to take it on time.”

Bev · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2019

“Have only been on ursodiol for about two months so I am still in the early stages of any side affects. I have noticed what appears to be some hair loss, dry skin and maybe some swelling around lower part of ankle on right foot. I was originally put on 300 mg tablets. Humana would not pay for it. I did some research and found they would pay for the 250 mg or 500 mg. No one seems to know why they will not pay for the 300 mg. I talked to my doctor and she put me on three 250 mg. tablets a day. My insurance is covering that minus my copay. Waiting to have additional blood work to see if drug is working on my elevated lab levels. For those like me prescribed ursodiol make sure you checked closely with their insurance on dosage coverage they will pay. I only found out about the dosage difference in payments by doing some research. I pray this is my wonder drug.”

JLS · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2019

“I was diagnosed with PBC (Primary Biliary Cholangitits) in November 2019. My ALP was up to 390 and ALT and AST were elevated as well. After three months on Urso (300 mg - three tablets a day), my liver enzymes have improved significantly. My ALP is now down to 209 and my ALT and AST are in normal levels. Urso is a lifesaver!”

Shorty · Taken for 10 years or more June 10, 2020

“Had routine bloodwork and found that liver enzymes were elevated. Did all kinds tests even liver biopsy and couldn't find anything. Specialist wanted to try ursodial 500mg two times day. Within months numbers came back to normal. He wanted to cut back to 500mg once a day and I did but enzymes started riding again. I've taken meds now for 14 years. No side effects that I've noticed. Only thing I can figure is I must need it. Can be pricey but have to have it. Lifesaver for me. .”

Anonymous July 29, 2008

Urso (ursodiol): “I was dx PBC-Stage 2 Feb 08 and started URSO. I was sent to Baylor a few weeks later and their tests indicated I had a negative AMA! They asked me to stop taking URSO to see if weight loss alone improves the condition. I was off URSO for 4 months and lost 25 lbs. My AMA count is higher now than ever, so I am going back on URSO this morning. It is very obvious to me that the URSO put my antibodies to sleep while I was on the drug. That is why my doctor put me back on it today.”

jelam4763 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 12, 2016

“I am researching the reason for the steep increase in Ursodiol. I have Medicare Part D prescription coverage. Last year a 90 day supply of Ursodiol (300mg x 4/day) cost $218.xx for 3 months. That was with Health Spring insurance. This year I have Silverscript (CVS); they have increased the price to $839.xx for the same quantity) which is $280/mo. That is a 300% increase. Apparently, suppliers - Blue Cross and CVS - have increased the price just because they can. It is indicated on my receipt that the cost of the retail cost of the drug is $2,135 so Silverscript says it is saving me $432/month. Silverscript moved the drug from a Tier 4 last year to a Tier 5 this year. Can anyone give me an honest answer why? BC did the same thing.”

PBC · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 31, 2018

“I have been taking this medication for 3 years now. When we figured out what was wrong, I was already at a stage 2 liver disease. ( only 4 stages before transplant needed ). My liver enzymes have been perfect. What a great medication for the Primary Billiary cirrhosis ...I have a few more years... I have no insurance right now and can not afford the medication, so 2 months without it. Cost without insurance is $400 for 1 month.”

berdie March 5, 2009

Urso Forte (ursodiol): “I find Urso has helped me a lot. I do have loose bowels with it sometimes. I also found out if I skip a dose and take two Urso's at once, that's when I have a bowel movement problems. I quit doing that. I do know it's prolonging my life, for this I am thankful.”

livlog June 25, 2008

Urso (ursodiol): “I've been taking four Ursodiol tablets a day for many years. My liver enzymes have stayed normal. Biopsy showed Stage 1.”

Anonymous August 10, 2009

Urso (ursodiol): “I've been taking urso for 6 years. My blood levels are now in check. Original biopsy showed stage 4-5 liver damage. Found when I had gall bladder removal surgery.”

kooper · Taken for 10 years or more May 30, 2020

“I find this drug very expensive. Are there any options? I started taking ursodiol 34 years ago.”

Positive experience · Taken for 10 years or more September 10, 2015

“Positive results, but what about the TREMENDOUS price increase over the past year and a half?”

Transplant November 27, 2008

“The medication seems to work, but it also seems to cause bothersome itching. However, you have to do it to get the GGT levels down.”

Wee wee September 10, 2017

“The meds have help me feel better and clear my skin discoloration and itching.”

Learn more about Primary Biliary Cholangitis