User Reviews for Ursodiol

Also known as: Actigall, Urso, Urso Forte, Reltone

Ursodiol has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 22 ratings on Drugs.com. 75% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Primary Biliary Cholangitis
9.1
Gallbladder Disease
5.5
Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease  Off-label
Summary of Ursodiol reviews 8.2 22 reviews

Reviews for Ursodiol

Lucy · Taken for 10 years or more August 29, 2019

For Primary Biliary Cholangitis: “I was diagnosed with stage 2 PBC (primary biliary cholangitis) eighteen years ago. I promptly went on Actigall and was switched to Ursodiol about a year later. My recent tests show me to still be in stage 2. This drug seems to have stopped the progress of the disease with very few side effects. I take two pills per day. If I forget to take my morning dose, I am dead tired by midday--a great reminder to take it on time.”

Bev · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2019

For Primary Biliary Cholangitis: “Have only been on ursodiol for about two months so I am still in the early stages of any side affects. I have noticed what appears to be some hair loss, dry skin and maybe some swelling around lower part of ankle on right foot. I was originally put on 300 mg tablets. Humana would not pay for it. I did some research and found they would pay for the 250 mg or 500 mg. No one seems to know why they will not pay for the 300 mg. I talked to my doctor and she put me on three 250 mg. tablets a day. My insurance is covering that minus my copay. Waiting to have additional blood work to see if drug is working on my elevated lab levels. For those like me prescribed ursodiol make sure you checked closely with their insurance on dosage coverage they will pay. I only found out about the dosage difference in payments by doing some research. I pray this is my wonder drug.”

Big John · Taken for 10 years or more March 1, 2021

For Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: “I was diagnosed with fatty liver almost 15 years ago. The doctor first put me on Actigall, then after 5 or 6 years he put me on Ursodiol. He has since retired and my new doctors say taking this medicine is useless and not benefiting me at all and will not prescribe it for me. I don't understand why they basically cut me off, and have not recommended a replacement medicine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.”

Shorty · Taken for 10 years or more June 10, 2020

For Primary Biliary Cholangitis: “Had routine bloodwork and found that liver enzymes were elevated. Did all kinds tests even liver biopsy and couldn't find anything. Specialist wanted to try ursodial 500mg two times day. Within months numbers came back to normal. He wanted to cut back to 500mg once a day and I did but enzymes started riding again. I've taken meds now for 14 years. No side effects that I've noticed. Only thing I can figure is I must need it. Can be pricey but have to have it. Lifesaver for me. .”

JLS · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2019

For Primary Biliary Cholangitis: “I was diagnosed with PBC (Primary Biliary Cholangitits) in November 2019. My ALP was up to 390 and ALT and AST were elevated as well. After three months on Urso (300 mg - three tablets a day), my liver enzymes have improved significantly. My ALP is now down to 209 and my ALT and AST are in normal levels. Urso is a lifesaver!”

Honeybee404 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 16, 2017

For Gallbladder Disease: “For 30 days I have been using ursodiol.. I have gallstones that has caused my gallbladder to become inflamed with chronic pain. I decided to use this drug because I don't want to have my gallbladder taken out.. I've changed my diet because only a few things to eat agree with me now.. My Dr suggested that I have the gallbladder removed because of the amount of weightloss. Honestly. I feel some relief since I've been taking the medication. My dosage 250mg pill three times per day with meals but I was only taking 2 because I couldn't eat a lot. Since I've been having some relief I've noticed I can eat a little more but still no fatty sugary bad stuff.. I'm gonna continue my prescription and see if i get more relief..”

Anonymous July 29, 2008

Urso (ursodiol) for Primary Biliary Cholangitis: “I was dx PBC-Stage 2 Feb 08 and started URSO. I was sent to Baylor a few weeks later and their tests indicated I had a negative AMA! They asked me to stop taking URSO to see if weight loss alone improves the condition. I was off URSO for 4 months and lost 25 lbs. My AMA count is higher now than ever, so I am going back on URSO this morning. It is very obvious to me that the URSO put my antibodies to sleep while I was on the drug. That is why my doctor put me back on it today.”

kitchennazi · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 11, 2015

For Gallbladder Disease: “I have taken Ursodiol since 2006. I had my gall bladder removed in 1988 but for some reason I started developing gall stones in my bile ducts. I had three surgeries to remove gall stones before I started taking Ursodiol. I have had no surgeries since 2006. My problem is the drug, which is a generic has skyrocketed in price. I use to pay $10.00, I now have to pay $180.00 for a 1 month supply. I quit taking the drug, I can't afford it. Does anyone know of any discounts that are available for this drug? I have insurance, the pharmacist said the reason the drug has gotten so high in price is because of Obamacare.”

jelam4763 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 12, 2016

For Primary Biliary Cholangitis: “I am researching the reason for the steep increase in Ursodiol. I have Medicare Part D prescription coverage. Last year a 90 day supply of Ursodiol (300mg x 4/day) cost $218.xx for 3 months. That was with Health Spring insurance. This year I have Silverscript (CVS); they have increased the price to $839.xx for the same quantity) which is $280/mo. That is a 300% increase. Apparently, suppliers - Blue Cross and CVS - have increased the price just because they can. It is indicated on my receipt that the cost of the retail cost of the drug is $2,135 so Silverscript says it is saving me $432/month. Silverscript moved the drug from a Tier 4 last year to a Tier 5 this year. Can anyone give me an honest answer why? BC did the same thing.”

PBC · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 31, 2018

For Primary Biliary Cholangitis: “I have been taking this medication for 3 years now. When we figured out what was wrong, I was already at a stage 2 liver disease. ( only 4 stages before transplant needed ). My liver enzymes have been perfect. What a great medication for the Primary Billiary cirrhosis ...I have a few more years... I have no insurance right now and can not afford the medication, so 2 months without it. Cost without insurance is $400 for 1 month.”

berdie March 5, 2009

Urso Forte (ursodiol) for Primary Biliary Cholangitis: “I find Urso has helped me a lot. I do have loose bowels with it sometimes. I also found out if I skip a dose and take two Urso's at once, that's when I have a bowel movement problems. I quit doing that. I do know it's prolonging my life, for this I am thankful.”

Nina · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 27, 2018

For Gallbladder Disease: “My daughter is 10 yrs old and currently taking ursodiol. She had gallstones and gastro doc said to take it twice a day. However, didn't specify why. I was given a referral to see another gastro surgeon and didn't explain why! My baby continues to complain of sharp mild like pain in her lower, upper, right and back pain. Help me please! I need answers!!”

kalawikimaui February 22, 2009

For Gallbladder Disease: “Ursodiol has been keeping my Gall Bladder in check (excepton 01/01/2008). My prescription had run out 4 days prior but I still indulged in greasy pork chops. 3 hours later I was in the ER and nearly died. I had no pulse or blood pressure. Was touch-and-go for awhile. Worst New Years Day ever. Never to forget refills again.”

Anonymous January 31, 2012

For Gallbladder Disease: “When I started the medication I had some loose stool, then 11 days after taking it I started to have horrible pain in my hands. Then my biceps and wrists were hurting so bad. I stopped taking the medicine today so I will let you know what happens.”

livlog June 25, 2008

Urso (ursodiol) for Primary Biliary Cholangitis: “I've been taking four Ursodiol tablets a day for many years. My liver enzymes have stayed normal. Biopsy showed Stage 1.”

Anonymous August 10, 2009

Urso (ursodiol) for Primary Biliary Cholangitis: “I've been taking urso for 6 years. My blood levels are now in check. Original biopsy showed stage 4-5 liver damage. Found when I had gall bladder removal surgery.”

kooper · Taken for 10 years or more May 30, 2020

For Primary Biliary Cholangitis: “I find this drug very expensive. Are there any options? I started taking ursodiol 34 years ago.”

Wee wee September 10, 2017

For Primary Biliary Cholangitis: “The meds have help me feel better and clear my skin discoloration and itching.”

Positive experience · Taken for 10 years or more September 10, 2015

For Primary Biliary Cholangitis: “Positive results, but what about the TREMENDOUS price increase over the past year and a half?”

Transplant November 27, 2008

For Primary Biliary Cholangitis: “The medication seems to work, but it also seems to cause bothersome itching. However, you have to do it to get the GGT levels down.”

Evelyn · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 2, 2021

For Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: “Some people take Taurine, Bile Acids, and Digestive Enzymes as a natural alternative to Ursodiol.”

jprag · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 16, 2021

For Primary Biliary Cholangitis: “Husband was taking Ursodiol for Primary Biliary Cholangitis PBC for two months until hands were swelling and unbearable itching.”