User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stieva-A, Stieva-A Forte, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Learn more about Tretinoin.

Tretinoin Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 431 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Tretinoin to treat Acne

"28 year old female. Suffer from cystic acne. I get big painful cysts under the skin. Around my jaw line and all over my chin. I would get two or three in the same place at a time. Also my skin is very oily. Most likely caused by hormones and stress. Absolutely no over the counter medicines worked. I have been using tretin. 025 GEL not cream for about 2 weeks now and have not had 1 new cyst or pimple. My skin is peeling a little but it looks so much better already. I highly recommend the gel for cystic acne with super oily skin like mine. Also my skin is not sensitive so I use it every night with no problems."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2016

"I have had acne since puberty. I haven't ever given much thought to going to a derm because acne is just "a part of growing up". Well 23 now and I didn't really see it leaving my face anytime soon. Doc gave me 0.025% once a day at night. I use a simple CeraVe foaming wash 2x daily (once in morning, once in evening). At night after I wash my face I use a CeraVe night moisturizer and I wait about 20-30 mins for my face to totally dry before applying my "pea sized" amount of trentinoin to my entire face. I would not describe my breakouts as bad. Probably a 6. But it's always there. It's never left me. I am on my second week so far. No noticeable changes so far. Nothing positive or negative to report. I will keep updating."

an0n__ (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2016

"I've struggled with acne for about 4 years, and I've been using retin a for about 4 months now. At first I was unsure about it because I have such sensitive skin and at it would burn my face and my skin would peel. But my advice to people that have acne and scars is to start with the 0.05% you may not see the results at first but don't give up! I promise it works. I recently asked my doctor to give me a stronger dose 0.1% and although it burns my face a little I wake up in the morning and my scars looking lighter and my face feels smoother. I look back at my before pictures and already see a really big difference. Highly recommend!"

Anonymous September 16, 2016

"To avoid serious dryness and peeling I started off using this product (.025) every 3rd day for the first two weeks. I have oily skin prone to blackheads and medium sized pimples in my T zone. I never experienced the "purge", however, my skin certainly didn't get better for around 4 months and after adding clindamyacin. Now I rarely experience breakouts (except occasional hormonal) and have an overall better complexion. I would suggest washing your face before with cetaphil because it is so gentle and moisturizing every morning."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2016

"I used tretin 0.025% every night for 30 mins for almost 8 weeks.i hardly had 5-6 pimples on my cheeks n a few brown spots but then the cream made me have severe breakout and infection which made my cheek swell with the abscess. I consulted another doctor and was advised to stop the product and I am on oral antibiotic for the infection. My cheeks r normal. My pimples are healing on their own .Its been a week I left the cream and my skin shows great improvement.no new breakouts at all.please don't struggle with the cream n keep pushing through a point where you have totally ruined your skin n can do nothing about it."

Shivanikhadabadi (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2016

"I'm on my first week of using this. I don't have bad acne, I just wanted the blackheads on my nose to go away. The first week has been awful. My skin is so dry, red, burning, and now I have so many pimples. I never have pimples. My dermatologist said this would make my skin worse but I'm starting to wonder if this is worth it. My skin is disgusting. The other reviews say to keep using it and it will get better. I'll keep updating."

mquake (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2016

Atralin (tretinoin): "Absolutely amazing product!!!!!! My face looked like a 14 year old boy's does when he is going through puberty. I began putting Atralin on nightly along with taking an PRObiotic (instead of taking an ANTIbiotic which is soooo bad for your gut) and my face did appear to be worse during the first week and a half but then all of a sudden it began clearing up sooo quickly!!!! I've been using it a little less than a month and still get a few pimples but it is so much better. Can't wait to see how it works within the next 3 months! I already see fine lines and acne scars improving!!!! AMAZING!"

Royallyjulie September 1, 2016

"My teen is on the tenth week of this medicine. It has ruined his skin. He went from a few zits to a face full of very large zits that cover his whole face. He looks horrible. I can't get him to the dermatologist for another three weeks. He is very distraught and now has scars. I don't know why this type of product is on the market. I keep telling him to wait, wait, wait because that's what I keep reading but it seems like every day there are more zits. I'm starting to wonder if the wait, wait wonderful results stories are written by paid reviewers from the company that makes the drug. I don't know if he should push through or abandon this product at the point."

Themomofateenfalafel (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2016

"I don't normally write reviews but like another reviewer said, these were absolutely necessary for me to read so that I would stick with this medication. I've had bad acne since I was a teenager, now I'm 20 and getting married in November. I'd tried basically everything else under the sun to get rid of them. I started using Stieva-A 0.1% at night and that first week was absolute hell. My acne was painful, itchy, inflamed, and way worse. After about 2 weeks, my pimples were the same as usual but I would peel so much every morning, and moisturiser didn't help. Now it's been 1 month and I'm starting to see results! My skin hasn't been this clear in years! The peeling is less each day, and the pimples I do get usually disappear after 1-3 days"

Mel-H-96 August 30, 2016

"RETIN-A 0.025 cream/female- New update...currently on my 8th week now and results aren't so well. Lately my acne on my forehead has been appearing again but now they are small and come in large numbers. My cheeks are still pretty smooth but acne has been appearing on my left cheek. My cheeks are very red right now because of the acne scaring. I guess this week is another purging week so that sucks anyways will keep updating.."

An.nym.us (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2016

"I was put on this cream for some hormonal acne around my chin and forehead area. I tried this cream first a few years ago, with absolutely no result. I went to another dermatologist who prescribed it again. I decided to give it another try but I had the same result. I read other reviews that said to be patient and keep going with it, so I have tried this cream for several years with no result at all. I had no side effects except for some dryness, but it also didn't affect my acne at all."

Skiley August 25, 2016

"When my dermatologist first gave me the cream and I began using it my acne cleared up and I had great skin, but once I kept using it on my break outs I noticed them becoming worse and worse. My skin became so dry, red/ puffy, and peely that there was nothing to do, I felt helpless, I couldn't even apply my moisturizer because it made my skin burn. But my derm assured me it was part of the process, come to find out I was actually getting minor chemical burns which currently cover my entire chin/ under my nose area. In the beginning I thought this cream was my savor and my ticket to clear skin but now my skin is worse then ever and I regret ever using it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

"HAVE PATIENCE!! I am not one to write reviews but I feel like I needed to as reading these are the only thing that encouraged me to stay on this cream. I am 28 and one day out of the blue, developed cystic acne around my chin and jaw line. The dermatologist suggested it was due to hormones and stress. She prescribed me trentenoin 0.025%. I started using it every night, but the dryness and peeling became too much, so I switched to every other night. The first 2 months were absolute hell. My face broke out more than ever in places it never did before. Every morning I woke up, I would have 1-2 new cysts. I am on week 10 and am finally starting to see an improvement. It gets better, just stay patient!!"

Sarahann13 August 22, 2016

"Okay,it's only the 2nd day that I've used this acne cream, but I am telling you it is the best!! Since using it twice, my acne and blemishes are already disappearing and I'm seeing results! After reading several reviews before initially using the medicine, I knew that this was a very drying cream so I have been using my regular moisturizers and I've added a great product to give my face just a little extra moisture: Rosehip Oil w/ Vitamin E.I wash my face gently with a foaming cleanser and then use my face serum.Then I will add one or two drops of the Rosehip oil to my moisturizer and apply it.I have not had any dry spots or peeling so far and hopefully continuing this routine will prevent any in the future. Extremely happy with this stuff!"

Megzzo August 18, 2016

"I developed cystic acne, I'm guessing as a result of hormones, stress, and genetics. My doctor and I changed what we were using during the second visit, since we were doing some trial and error (figuring out what works). Since my skin is not sensitive, we went from a combination of doxycycline, tretinoin, and clyndimicine (idk how to spell it) to a combination of tretinoin of higher strength, erythromycin/BP gel, and minocycline. My skin has cleared up in a matter of 2 months with the occasional pimples and some acne scarring. As far as the tretinoin goes, my derm said that it was supposed to clear up my whiteheads and blackheads, but it has only made my pores seemingly smaller, not cleared them up."

Sabrina L (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2016

"I HIGHLY recommend this medication. I am 15 and have had mild to severe acne since I was around 12. I have been using this for 2 years off and on. About 4 months ago I started using it religiously and saw a dramatic difference. The only problem is it makes your skin dry and or flaky during the first period using the medication, which is why I gave it 9 stars. But nothing compares to the result. I only get very small pimples and I also has decreased my acne scars dramatically with use. Overall if you are having problems with acne (especially with confidence issues resulting in acne) then I HIGHLY recommended this medication! I use .05."

zoemargoswerd August 15, 2016

"Used this religiously every night for a week. My acne is mostly concentrated on my cheeks and a bit on my forehead, so anyway my forehead completely cleared and there's definitely an improvement on my cheeks! So glad. I wish I knew before hand. Tried so many things I shouldn't have."

Mich. (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2016

Retin-A (tretinoin): "I've been using Retin-A for about a week now. If you have oily skin or experience breakouts every morning like me, I would definitely recommend this. I use the .01% dosage recommended by my doctor. They told me I may experience peeling of the skin. My skin has peeled in some spots, but it's not very noticeable. I removed the peeled skin by using baking soda and water(great exfoliant!) Skin varies by person. I've given up on every acne regimen and decided to see my doctor. I swear by this stuff. All my acne scars are fading and my skin has become significantly smoother."

CarlyP August 9, 2016

"I had really bad acne and I would get made fun of but when my doctor gave me tretinoin gel 0.025 my face to this day is so much better my confidence is better I like looking at my self in the mirror I feel better this is such an amazing medicating!"

New me ! (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

Retin-A (tretinoin): "I have posted early before about my 1st & 2nd week using Retin A 0.025 cream. My 3rd week was much better than my second week, some of my acne stared to calm down and my face felt less bumpy. During this week I started to use the cream 4 times a week because my cheeks were hurting. My 4th week was the most improvement. I started to use the cream every night again since my face had stop hurting. During the 4th week most of my pimples disappeared and my skin felt smoother, I still had some pimples popping up but not as much. Now my cheeks are pretty smooth with a couple pimples but my cheeks are really red from the scars that were left behind from the pimples. I'm hoping they will slowly fade later. Will keep updating!"

An.nym.us (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2016

An0nym0us (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2016

An0nym0us (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2016

"4weeks of using tretin0.025%:( it has been hell of a journey.. I have had severe break outs ,peeling and dryness .In the 3rd week I got dark pigmentation all around my lips n a further above the lips area.Completely disfigured my face:'( probably feels like I permanently spoilt my face. So confused as to continue or discontinue as I haven't seen any results and it has js worsened everything#depressed"

Shivani.khadabadi July 31, 2016

"A miracle-worker. Even on my laziest nights I make sure to put this on. After almost 9 months of using, my skin is glowing, radiant, and smooth. My pores have never felt cleaner, and I only get breakouts very rarely. It's also incredibly reduced the appearance of my scars, which i though were incurable."

cardsfan411 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 26, 2016

"I have been using the 0.01% cream for about two months now. I will say it cleared my acne up a lot! It does not help with closing pores though, my pores are still extremely visible. Also, I have a huge neck rash from this medicine that won't seem to go away."

NunyaBigghg July 21, 2016