User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stieva-A, Stieva-A Forte, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Learn more about Tretinoin.

Tretinoin Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 402 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Tretinoin to treat Acne

Atralin (tretinoin): "I have struggled with Acne since puberty. I started using Atralin in my 40's. This has been the only product to ever get my acne under control. So nice to be free from worry. Go to the beach, work out, wear no make up sometimes! I wish this was around when I was younger and perhaps would of avoided so much scaring. For me my scars are really all over except my face so I did luck out with that. Also it makes skin smoother and skin look younger. Cost has gone now which is a plus ,used to be very expensive when it first came out. If I stop it acne always comes back. So I have to use it every night. I combine it with another acne lotion from my dermatologist. I have light sensitive skin and it does not irritate it like other products."

Laney1 September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I never leave reviews but I'm going to leave one for tretinoin. My routine was BP face wash in the morning and a layer of tretinoin all over my face after washing it with a mild soap+moisturizer. My routine was prescribed by my doctor. Ok, let me start by sayin, my purge period was horrible. I didn't even want to leave the house. It was the worst it had ever been in my life. Even when I was 19 and deployed to Afghanistan and couldn't wash my face I had better skin. I didn't want to leave the house. It effected my self confidence. And I was looking online for everyone's experience because I was convinced I was the outlier that tretinoin would not apply to. it took me 4 months to see results. But it worked. Keep pushing through it."

Tret doubter September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Aczone 7.5 gel at night, wait 20 min then apply a light oil free gel moisturiser, then tretinoin gel 0.5% worked for me, being doing this for a year and acne is gone. Had some peeling and redness for first 4 months but so worth it now, and great for wrinkles too!"

Anonymous August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had to battle acne since the age of 13, I am now 46 and I still have acne issues every so often. I was prescribed Tretinoin .05% 10 years ago and have been a faithful user all these years, I can honestly say that Tretinoin has been a life savior for my skin! Not only does it help with the acne but it has stalled wrinkles!!! I've had so many compliments and no one believes my real age lol that's a huge plus!!! You must stick to it tho and don't give up! It took me a whole 8 months before I saw a difference in my acne! I wish I was able to post a pic so everyone could see how amazing it works!"

PinkBunny46 August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been having cystic acne for the past 3 years. When I feel a cyst coming up I apply a thin very thin amount daily once. Wait at least 30 minutes after showering. After a few days I'll use hydrocortisone cream at night then back to routine. Physians formula makeup plus this routine has cut healing time. Every now and then I'll get a small one apply cream and a Cold compresses to the area help to before applying the cream. Only use as needed."

30girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Amazing. I am experiencing only mild peeling and the benefits are phenomenal. Skin is virtually poreless and very smooth. Pores are clean. Speeding up healing of acne marks. Love it."

FlamingoPink August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I've been using this medicine for over a year now. I had really severe acne so I went to a dermatologist that prescribed antibiotics and retacnyl to apply 3 times per week. After I stopped the antibiotics my acne came back, it wasn't as bad as it was before but it was bad so I went back to my dermatologist and he prescribed a higher dose of antibiotics with applying this cream 4 times per week. Its been 2 months since I've stopped the antibiotics and I love the results, my acne is now where I want it to be but I know that if I stop this cream it will break me out.Some people say it takes a lot of time to show results so I'm here waiting"

ghinwa (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to have terrible acne all throughout high school that was I very insecure and self-conscious about. After getting on Tretinoin cream my acne cleared up tremendously. It did take about 6 months to clear up and made my face very dry and sensitive but it was all worth it I hardly ever get acne now and my face is so clear now. It does take time but wow it works!"

Lynn1322 July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had bad acne in 7th grade. Even after a few days, I was noticing differences. After a month, my skin looked a lot better. Now, almost three years later, my skin is the best it's ever been."

Celeste Grantham July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Retin-A (tretinoin): "I was on accutane (isotretinoin) from December 2015 to July 2016. I had severe acne all over my face, chest, back, and shoulders. Post-accutane my skin was clear as water and I got so many compliments on my skin. My skin was clear and I never got one pimple until mid April 2017 I noticed pimples reappearing on my skin. I got in touch with my derm and she prescribed me tretinoin 0.025% and a face wash- sodium sulfacetamide with salycic acid. I am now on 0.05% and I have been on the gel for a little over 8 weeks. I have seen significant improvement since I started and I did experience about a month and a half of initial breakout. I highly recommend this gel and don't give up! It takes time and my skin is still clearing up. Patience!!!!!"

Alexandra mae (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Retin-A (tretinoin): "I have always had acne from in my early teens but just a few pimples now an again. I am now 23, I have relocated to the north coast where I started experiencing terrible breakout it started with rash then small pimples then a disaster. In 2016 I went to my dermatologist who prescribed retin A 0.05% 2 days after using the product I started having unbearable burning when using anything on my face be it water, cleanser or moisturize it just burned like crazy and my acne got worst to the point where people asking me what was wrong with my face, so about two weeks in I stopped using the product. Five days ago which is almost one year after I decided to give it another try and so far there is no burning and no new breakouts"

Jamaican girl (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have acne since I was 12 years old, now Im 22 years old; I have tried every OTC product, I tried Proactive, Acne.org, natural home remedies, antibiotics, Murad, Clinique, etc, etc etc. About 2 months ago my PCP prescribed me with Tretioin Cream 0.5% and I have been using it every day since then. I have to say that this lotion is a life saver, my face looks so much better and I can finally go out without makeup, even my family and friends see the results, I'm very happy to finally find something that really works for me. The only sad thing about this cream is that it can dry up your skin very bad, and sometimes moisturizers make my acne worst, but honestly I prefer a dried face than a face full of ugly, nasty, read pimples."

Amor2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication is okay. It only works if I also use benzoyl peroxide. I have to use it religiously. I still get cystic acne occasionally. It makes my skin feel oily. It's okay. It takes many years to get rid of scarring from the acne. I have tried many drug combinations and in my experience they all work equally well or bad depending on how consistently you use the drug. Retin A is no miracle."

Acne4life June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stieva-A (tretinoin): "I've been using the Stieva- a 0.25mg for 4 weeks, in the first 2 weeks my acne cleared up for about 2 days but now it's come back again and I'm left with those awful red dots and pigmentation. I recently just got the higher dosage of the cream so I'm praying it works!!!"

Courtsxo (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It dries up acne faster than any medication I have used before but you have to use cream to moisturize your skin cause it's start to peel where the acne is ! Quick and effective"

Bambi712 May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on tretinoin for about a month, and am definitely seeing results. The only negative was my skin became extremely red all over but it was still smooth. I had an appointment with my dermatologist and he told me to use sensitive face lotion (he recommended vanicream) to put over the tretinoin to help with the redness and even after a few days I'm seeing how amazing it is! All you have to do is keep your skin moisturized and this stuff works like a dream, I go to bed every night excited to wake up and see the results!"

laneykitty May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At age 36, my acne started to come back after a stressful time. It was concentrated on my chin, and was relentless. New cysts every single day. My doctor prescribed Tretinoin cream plus an oral antibiotic (doxycycline). I was so nervous about starting because I read so much about it getting worse before it got better. But to my amazement, after just a few days I started to see drastic improvement. Not a single new pimple, the existing ones healed quickly, and scars are fading fast. I'm shocked (and extremely happy!) at how well this worked for me."

Cole23 May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began breaking out once I started my junior year of high school it affected my self confidence a lot and I am very much into the makeup and all that but after breaking out I rarely wore any of embarrassment I went to my annual physical and the doctor prescribed the tretinoin cream, I avoided it at first but I am about two months in and my terrible acne is going away along with the peeling and dryness, new skin is under the shell and I am in love with it!!"

Zithlali (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine cleared up my acne and got rid of pigmentation from old cystic acne. It did make my skin dry but I moisturized and my skin evened out after it adapted. Only thing I will say is that when I stop using it I have the breakouts again."

Kdubel (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had suffered for ~3 yrs with adult onset acne when I finally decided to see a dermatologist. My acne was gradually getting worse. I was prescribed oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics for the AM and Tretinoin for the PM. The first few months on this product were horrible. My epidermis literally was sloughing off. I would experience a burning sensation with its application and when applying moisturizer, but it was not so intense that I could not tolerate it. I was SO embarrassed to be in public. I googled reviews of the product every night for months just for reassurance that this was the right course of action. I totally doubted its capabilities. The encouraging reviews that stated it would be worth it kept me going. They were so right."

GA (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been using the 0.05 percent (worked my way up from 0.025) for almost 2 years now. I started off with it because my usually very clear skin started developing small spots that just weren't going away. They weren't very visible but I have grown up with people complimenting my skin all the time and to me, the small spots felt like a blow to my self-confidence. My doctor recommended the cream to me. Within 2 weeks of usage , my skin cleared up. There was some peeling but that went away after my skin adjusted to it. Anyway, I continued with the use for almost 2 years now because my skin has never looked this beautiful and glowy as it does now."

Mlak89 April 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started using Tretinoin cream in August 2016 and I would like to say that it really saved my skin. I never really used to get acne but in March 2016 my skin took a turn for the worse. I started to develop acne on my chin and it moved to my cheeks. I had red bumps under the skin that would never come to a head. My dermatologist prescribed tretinoin 0.25% and my skin started to clear up within 2 months of using it. I will say that it does take time but it does get better. I still use it every night before bed. I'm working on clearing up some darker spots on my skin but overall skin is so much better."

Anonymous April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Tretinoin 0.05% almost 2 months ago and my experience has been complicated and confusing. When I first started the cream, my skin immediately got sensitive to it, red splotches on my cheeks and chin (wasn't putting it there) and it dried them out a lot too. But after a couple brutal weeks my forehead and nose cleared up entirely and the redness/dryness calmed down and I was getting really excited. But, unfortunatley, my period came and my skin had a HORRIBLE breakout. My entire forehead was covered in bumps and beside my nose I got little bumps as well. Now, about a month later my skin is clearing up somewhat, but still I'm not sure what's in store for me. I'm hopeful for this product because I've heard many wonderful things!"

Hopeful! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered from chin acne for about 5 years. The spots (I think hormonal) varied from the big under-your-skin ones to white heads and I would literally get a new one every few days. I'd tried loads of different treatments from the docs, including antibiotics, and even went for face peels but nothing helped long term. My brother recommended tretinon and I was dubious at first but decided to give it a try. Bought the gel online (but I think you can get it from your doctors too). First few weeks I saw a huge improvement in the amount of I was getting although my skin did peel a fair bit. I started moisturising on alternate days and two months later the difference is incredible! Had no new spots for a month and even my acne scars are fading!"

Vics15 April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I read all of the reviews - I don't have acne and never had. What I do have is an immune problem that creates cysts. I have been using this cream .1% for almost a week. All the bumps under my left breast are gone. I am hoping with time the burning/peeling/reddness will go away too but I am extremely happy with my results in the week I have been using it."

NHgirl603 April 3, 2017