User Reviews for Tretinoin topical to treat Acne

Also known as: Retin-A, Retin A Micro, Renova, Altreno, Atralin, Avita, Refissa, Obagi, Altinac Retin-A and Renova

Tretinoin topical Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 321 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Tretinoin topical

Ann June 29, 2020

“I applied it at night and 2 weeks only gets worst. Feel like giving up”

Kaykarree · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2020

“So I read the reviews and most were bad but I also read good ones. I decided to give tretinoin a chance and I can honestly say that this tretinoin cream is not for me. I had a severe allergic reaction around my lips and nose . And I have been purging like crazy. When I started this I only had like 3 pimples and smaller ones and hyperpigmentation. I thought maybe the allergic reaction will go away and it has not it burns a lot and I'm seeing my dermatologist on Tuesday and hopefully I get something better but this is just my personal experience it may have not worked for me but it can work for you”

R · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2020

“The first few weeks you feel like giving up. Made my skin look very shiny in a weird way, peeling was hard to cover and the initial purge sucked. That said, like everyone has mentioned on here, it gets better. The purge is cleaning you out, so keep this perspective. I did not feel good about my skin during that time, but so glad I stuck with it. I'm now at week 9 and have 3-4 pimples on my face, skin is super smooth and looks really glowy. Every day keeps getting better. I'm still peeling on and off but its less than it used to be. Just ease in slowly so you don't get crazy red or peely. I did about 2-3 a week to start and now at 4x a week. Love that this gets rid of hyperpigmentation quickly.”

Carly · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2020

“I started tretinoin 0.025 about a week ago for moderate teenage acne. So far, no new breakouts. Face is peeling but not super dry if you know what I mean. I have always had sensitive skin as well so my face is more red and splotchy than usual. I am using every other day after shower and Cerave moisturizer. Seems to be helping so far. Will update each week!”

ryan April 29, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin): “prior to using this cream, I checked reviews. I saw a lot of negatives; people complaining about a face-purge. I was highly discouraged. After a while, I said screw it. I’ve been struggling with acne for a long time now. I’m a 22 year old african male, been struggling with acne since I was 11; that is half of my life. I ignored the negatives and decided to give it a shot. Week 1 and 2 were calm. The purge started on week 3 and it was horrible! I couldn’t leave my house, my face was a mess. I was nearly compelled to quit but I persevered. The purge lasted through till week 8. On the 9th week, I noticed little less break outs. I’m on my 11 week now and man! my face is as smooth as a baby’s. I honestly can’t believe this. This is the best my face has been in more than a decade. I'd highly recommend. The purge period is absolutely hectic and discouraging but do not give up. stick to it I promise. advice: Take pictures to track your progress”

DevGirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 24, 2020

Stieva-A (tretinoin): “Before trying this product I honestly lost all hope, I tried everything. Then my doctor prescribed me Stieva-A and after about a month my skin instantly cleared up, I couldn’t believe it actually worked for me. It’s even helped to slowly fade my acne scars, my face hasn’t felt this smooth in a while, also a bonus is when I apply makeup now, it’s sooooo smooth. I just got a second refill on this product because I love it so much and want to use it for a year and see how much it can help my scars fade. Also a little bit goes along way which is nice !”

Bnoon · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 22, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin): “When I was 5 weeks into using this topical Retin-A I headed to the internet to figure out why my acne was 5 times WORSE than when I started it. I would honesty just look in the mirror and cry, I picked at all my pimples and it made it even worse. The purge is real but If you can make it past it I promise it’s worth it. Do some research on why the purge happens. I am 10 weeks in and all that I have on my face is scaring due to the picking which will go away over time and with the help of other topicals. My advice is to stick with it, do not pick and trust the process!”

PJ April 17, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin): “I have acne-prone skin and started having acne 12-ish. I have done extensively research on effective medication and found Retin-A. I introduced RetinA to my skin, really slowly by applying for 5, 10, 20, 30, 60, 90 and 120min and washing it off before my normal routine for 1week each (2min for 1week, 5min for 1week & go on). Then I started apply it overnight as my last step (moisturizer 30min then RetinA 0.025) from 1night/week to every other night then every night. I am on my 8th week of using RetinA every night as my last step. I am going to use it before moisturizer in week10. Gradually introduce RetinA to my skin made the purging bearable (slowly purging) and subsided those side effects. I still have red scars but much smoother texture, little bumpy. I am still breaking out but expecting. Complexion is improving. Skin is brighten and glowing. Skin is more balance, not oily, not dry. I am on month2 and happy with my skin, not perfect, much better. RetinA is worth your patience.”

Me · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

“I’m 2 weeks in and it’s getting worse and I don’t want to put it on anymore.”

Gery · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2020

“It's been 3 weeks using tretinoin cream and my acne is almost gone, I had a huge pimple size of a quarter and it is almost gone.”

Courtlayne February 19, 2020

Retin A Micro (tretinoin): “I’ve been using Retin A Micro for about 4 months now. In the first week of use I experienced dry flaking skin. If any area was super irritated I put aquafor on it was healed over night. The first 2-5 weeks my skin broke out worse than before I started using, however the pimples were smaller than usual and would clear up quickly. Weeks 6-7 my skin looked like it was finally clearing up with the exception of two stubborn areas. Those areas didn’t improve in this time but didn’t get worse. Weeks 8-10 my the two problem areas cleared up almost completely but unfortunately I was left with hyperpigmentation. I had minor breakouts on my chin. Weeks 10-12 breakouts stopped. No more purging. Skin clear with the exception of blackheads on nose and chin. Weeks 13-16 still have the blackheads although they seem to be dissipating. Skin texture feels AWESOME. Still have the hyperpigmentation on my cheeks. All in all I LOVE this stuff.”

kay5991 · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin): “this was the worst experience of my life. It made my face break out and I had big red dry patches on my face that burned so bad. I still have red scars from those spots that I didn’t have before. do not use this , I suggest accutane I have done that before also”

Maxx · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin): “19 years old , 8 weeks completed today , used Retin A .025 (every night) along with doxy forte tablet (2 times a day), worked like a miracle!!, 1st month was a really tough time but now my face is so much smooth and clean then before , very light marks are still there ,hope they vanish soon,MUST USE and BE PATIENT.”

Payu · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin): “RetinA is just an awesome cream. There is side effect also like peeling of skin and drying of skin, but it recovers with moisturizer. I applied moisturizer on face at day time in night before sleeping I use this cream on pimples in very little amount . I'm applying this from 1 month ago and it's really working on my pimples my pimples get reduced and my dark spot also get lighten. It's taking time so you have to be patient and you have to apply on face where you feel like that pimples are coming also but their no need to worry it recover new pimples also and treated whole face with pimpels it's remove pimples very easily. I love this retin a cream and it's working on my face very nicely.”

Min February 10, 2020

“I am about to hit 2 months since I started using tretinion, I still have acne but it was so, so, so, so much better than before I started using it, maybe I’ll do an update again when I hit three months”

Nicole · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2020

“I have been struggling with some adult acne, nothing to severe but some white heads, mostly blackheads. Decided to try trentinoin after OTC washes, scrubs, you name it did not work. Omg, My whole face broke out in huge painful white heads and my skin started peeling. I only used it twice a week to start and still it was so horrible I had to stop using it. Not sure how people make it through the "purge" phase.”

MerJoy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin): “I am 51 years old and after years of remission had a recurrence of acne. I took Accutane when I was in my late twenties. The oiliness of my skin has not abated with age so I researched possible treatments and decided to try Retin A. Dr prescribed .05% and I started using it. After about a month of use my skin was very irritated and I experienced a worsening of my acne. I continued to use and changed my skincare routine by using cetaphil to wash my face and cerave moisturizer spf 30 in the am and cerave pm at night. Also had to buy a foundation for normal/dry skin. As of now I have no new pimples and scars are gradually fading. More than satisfied with this treatment.”

Nii · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin): “Okay, been on Retin A since early November. Prescribed by my primary care physician prior to seeing a dermatologist. When I first began, I started using the gel two times a week. Making sure to always wash off in the morning and use sunscreen throughout the day. I was afraid of the purging period which THANK GOD, I never had. It almost felt like the medication wasn't working. I had no burning or stinging sensations just minor peeling which was not bad AT ALL. This could be because I am on the lowest dosage (0.025). I upped my usage to three times a week and keep using despite "feeling like anything was working". Fast forward to today, three months later and my skin is sooooooo smooth. I still have fading dark marks but they are significantly lighter. I have ZERO ACTIVE ACNE bumps. Smooth skin and very shiny. I am a 25 y/o African American female and THIS PRODUCT IS GREAT. Patience is KEY!!!!!”

Arti · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 27, 2020

“I am 36 years old. I have been using this cream on and off for more than 10 years. And my skin looks amazing. I don't have any acne and it glows. I am on 0.025 right now and I never break out and my skin never gets dry. 0.05 was a bit too strong for me and my skin would peel. This is a miracle cream and I love the fact that it is so cheap”

ed January 20, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin): “had adult acne, Retin-A cured it”

Honeybee January 19, 2020

“I recently talked to my derm about my acne and got Tretinoin, clyndomiacin and benzoyl peroxide cream and I'm currently a little over two weeks in. And my face is mad! The first week I had huge cystic pimples on my face and super dry red and flaking skin that was so embarrassing and now the big ones are gone but I still have a lot of breakouts and a little dryness in some areas. I'm sure my skin is purging and I just need to stick with it. My acne was pretty bad anyways so I can deal with it getting worse before it gets better. I'm using tretinoin 0.025 at night, topical clydomiacin and benzoyl peroxide in the mornings & witch hazel toner and cerave face moisturizer. It's only been two weeks and I do see some slight changes. Even though the breakouts are really bad right now I used to have little pumps all over my cheeks and chin. Those have gone and my skin is a lot smoother and now I just have the spread out pimples that keep appearing all over my face. I'm hoping I start to see real results soon.”

But Wi Not Fi January 16, 2020

“It just wasn't for me. I've been using tretinoin cream off and on since I was in my early 20s, and I'm 27 now. It is absolutely not enough to help my skin on its own - I need to be on an antibiotic (which helps but isn't sustainable because of antibiotic resistance) or a hormonal drug like Spironolactone (which helps but makes my heart race). Plus, it dries my skin out horribly even when I moisturize AND use gentle cleansers without drying ingredients in them ( I avoid benzoyl peroxide and salycylic acid face washes). I do have sensitive skin though. A couple days ago I stopped using tretinoin and started using azelaic acid instead. Call me crazy but my skin is already improving! Azelaic acid seems to be already helping my skin look clearer without the drying. I've tried many acne products, prescription and over the counter, and none really worked except Accutane, until now. Tretinoin is great for some folks but if you've tried and it didn't work for you, give azelaic acid a try.”

Elle75 January 11, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin): “I have jawline acne, dark patches from pigmentation and uneven skin tone and blemishes from years of cystic acne. I am 44 & Asian. Day 1 to 2 gel stung like crazy, itchy and warm skin, and redness Days 3 to 8 peeling skin, inflamed look after washing face. Stinging, and itchy. Days 8 and 9 skin is very taught. I needed extra petroleum jelly plus my regular moisturizer although my regular moisturizer. Days 9 and 10 skin is sensitive, shiny that I need to use make up. For peeling skin I reapply petroleum jelly at the first signs of dryness or flakiness. I used hydrocortisone on itchy spots. On day 10 I stopped using soap to wash my face as it is drying. I use luke warm water to wash off the petroleum jelly on my face and pat dry my skin. The dryness has reduced today, day 10. I can use the gel without it stinging my skin or being taught and dry. By day 10 my face appears to be clearer in some places, spots are fading. Skin texture is smooth though tender.”

Anon January 8, 2020

“This can be a life-changing product if you have the patience for it to work its wonders. It really does take about 6 to 8 weeks to see the results. This is my second time on tretinonin, as I quit using it because I just never went and got my refill once my skin cleared. But a year later, my skin started changing again and I am on my 8th week now, and seriously, by your 5th week, it does feel like it isn't working. But it is! I really recommend taking pictures, because it really does help you see the progress and how well it is actually working. I also already have dry skin, so this product gave me extreme peeling. That was a big down-side, which is why I gave a 9/10 (also the beginning purge is the worst, but it DOES pass). At the end of the day I would come home and look in the mirror and realize my whole face was peeling off. I did find that the peeling is less of an issue if I moisturize and let it dry for about 20 mins before I apply the tretinonin.”

Maxx · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin): “19 year old male, 2 weeks past started using this along with doxycycline ,1st week was horrible, conditions now are slightly better than before, will stick to it and keep you guys updated.”

Learn more about Acne

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)