User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stieva-A, Stieva-A Forte, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Learn more about Tretinoin.

Tretinoin Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 433 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Tretinoin to treat Acne

"I never write reviews for medicine but this stuff is AMAZING. I'm in recovery from heroin and meth and I had bad skin from acne and picking. Now you can't even tell I ever used to pick at my skin. It also has done wonders for oil control. My skin is normally extremely oily. If I get a pimple it doesn't even leave a mark anymore."

Laurennnn8524 January 14, 2017

"My first review ever. My derm prescribed tretinion cream after 1 year of low-dose oral isotretinoin. Isotretinoin obliterated big acne; worked for me-otherwise I need to take birth control pills forever. Now almost 4 months on tretinoin cream (started with 0.025,now 0.05); I look better in my 30s than my 20s. Acne scars still look bad look under certain light,but it had been frankenstien. Occasional one to two hormonal acne spots -nothing compared to the past. Dots of pigmentation fading. Routine sunscreen(day) and tretinoin cream (night). Wash with plain johnsons bar. Light peeling-use damp cloth when washing. NEVER EVER leave home without sunscreen. Wished I've done these a decade ago."

Elyr January 10, 2017

"When I first used this acne medication, I broke out like crazy. In fact, it made my acne worse. After I saw it getting worse, I debated whether or not to continue with this product. However, other users agreed that this product is one of those product's that fits the saying of, "it makes the acne get worse before it gets better." After almost 3 weeks of using this product daily (once at night, I use finacea in the morning) most of the breakouts have faded and soon will be gone. I do recommend this product however, you may not experience immediate results and I am here to tell you that if your acne worsens when first taking it, STICK with it."

BrokenOut202 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

"Acne, acne scars, blemishes, etc. I've been suffering from acne since I was 16 years old. I used to put on cheap products from Walgreens or CVS. When I turned 22 my acne became worse. I suffered from cystic acne. I went to a dermatologist for low income students and she prescribed Tretinoin (she started with a lower percentage) My acne disappeared in 8 months. I've been using this Tretinoin for 11 months (0.05) and I don't have to wear make up anymore! I also alternate and use Proactiv but ONLY the I wash my face with a cheaper brand from CVS that has Benzoyl Perixide 10% Then, the pore targetting treatment. Last step (moisturize) Moisturize before and after the medication for better results. Be patient :) Don't touch your face!"

MadelineC19 January 5, 2017

"What in the world is in this ? Holy water ? Godlike energy ? Santa's magical christmas stardust ? I don't know but it completely obliterated my acne; honestly "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

"I suffered from adult cystic acne well into my 40s. I did not have many of them but when I did develop them, they were large, under the skin and very painful. I have been on .025% Tretinoin for a few years now and I have little to no breakouts now."

Harls December 29, 2016

"I take the .01% and I'm so glad I can. I still have to take spironolactone for a continuing problem with cystic acne but the combination is ideal. I also love what it's done for a few little brown spots. I've been on it maybe 3 years and I just didn't think it was going to sand down some of my little raised acne scar/specks but I can finally feel the results now. Growing up I felt like a monster with my acne and, eventually, I was fortunate enough to be prescribed Accutane, not once, but twice (thank god)! I had the worst and the lowest self esteem imaginable. Yeah Accutane (big time yeah)!! Yeah Retin A / Tretinoin! It will never erase my scars, I need a real sanding down for that, but it has raised my self esteem."

cauberry (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 22, 2016

Retin-A (tretinoin): "Well, it's all hasn't been fun and games when it comes to my acne. I'm a light skinned African dude of 25 and I have had acne since I was 17. Pretty long time huh? I know. It all started as some pretty rash that got me obsessed. I've used pretty much everything except surgery; and I never went to a physician for it. All over-the-counter topical application and I touch my face pretty much all the time. It's not easy when a handsome guy gets his confidence slowly stripped everyday for almost a decade. Lol It got worse this past month (like my pimples joined up x-men and became mutants!) and I was forced to see a physician. Retin-A to the rescue. Retin-A and Doxycycline capsules. Just 2 weeks in and I can tell I've found the cure for acne!"

Nikolai (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

"This medicine truly is a miracle worker. I've been on it for around 8 months and there is an amazing difference. When I tell people that I used to have severe acne, they are always confused because of how near flawless my skin is now. I HIGHLY recommend using it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 21, 2016

"I started using this cream 0.25 about 2 months ago. It's not fun you will have a huge break out more then one time. I personally experienced the right side of my face (which was the worst side acne wise) break out insane I almost stopped then it started to clear up( don't give up). Now ,my left side is doing the same and it wasn't even that bad. BUT my skin is so much less oily, pores are smaller, and things are starting to clear up. It sucks but my skin sucking for a few months and clearing up vs. sucking forever I'll stick with the cream!! Also remember to use non-comedogenic & oil free makeup/ lotions!!! I can't say much more yet but I will review in a few months on how my experience is going."

Jess Winter November 20, 2016

"the effectiveness of tretinoin may be good, but I, diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2007, got incredibly much worse over the two and a half months of treatment back in 2009. not only did my neurological symptoms worsen, but also have I been having digestive issues ever since and only now I finally am finding relieve in the fodmap diet. and by the way, when I have digestive issues, I also tend to get problems with my skin - I think your skin mirrors your digestive tract. so instead of taking potentially harmful medication, better go for a diet change - my main culprits today still are gluten and dairy products (also lactose free). best of luck and health to everybody out there. all in all I cannot endorse this 'medication' to anyone"

mspatient9 November 18, 2016

"I have had on and off acne since I was a teenager, now 22, my acne became more hormonal on my cheeks. I had tried everything, and decided to go to my doctor for a prescription. I was prescribed Stieva A 0.01%, and I am so happy! I have only been on it for 7 days, but there has been a dramatic change already. Over the first few days I had a breakout with the acne that had been under my skin, after they cleared up, I had a bit of drying (still do) but nothing too bad! I have also noticed that my skin feels a lot less oily, which I love! Will definitely continue, and can't wait to see results after a few months! From what I have read online you are prone to breaking out at first, get through those first few days/weeks, results are worth it!"

tsss2 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

"Just started using this product maybe 3 days ago and today I started to notice the dry and peeling skin around my cheeks, mouth, nose and chin. I will start to use a moisturizer to help with the dryness. But I also notice my skin becoming very smooth in some areas. I've read that's it's supposed to get worse before it gets better, hope it doesn't take too long though. 18 yr old female :)"

miminb November 16, 2016

"I am 23 years and I suffered with severe cyst acne for two years, until finally my dermatologist prescribed tretinoin. I had multiple pimples that would merge into big bumps on my face mainly on both my cheeks and in my jawline. At first I would apply once every other day and gradually every night. After three months there was a dramatic change in my face, all the pimples had faded. What was left was ance scars and marks, I have been using the cream for about a year now and most all my acne scars have faded. Tretinoin is my life saver, before the cream I felt like a monster; I feel like I can show my face to world without shame. I extremely suggest that if you suffer from severe acne don't stop the treatment, I believe in tretinoin."

Lady in pink November 12, 2016

"I began trentanoin a little over a week ago. I was prescribed it by my doctor for breakouts I've got on my behind since I was 13. the first 2days after applying trentanoin to my bottom I saw immediate results. My bottom was getting dry. But the acne and red marks were fading. And I was honestly so excited because I figured that this is it! Something is finally helping! But about the 4th day my jaw and lower face were red itchy burning and dried out and my butt was on fire! It began drying out which turn into scaling with the daily use of it. Felt like my buttcrack was bleached. And it looked like it to! I didn't put it on today after my shower and the intense burning isn't bad at all. I'm going to use it every 3 days from now until my appt."

Hii (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016

"I am an RN, I NEVER write reviews but thought I would clear up some confusion. Tretinoin should be use at first every other or every 2 nd night to start with depending on how red, irritated & dry your skin is and work up to nightly application. Yes, your skin will look worse before it gets better. Stick with it. If you start the product and stop your results will be like starting all over again each time you stop, terrible. Apply only at night, use gentle cleanser or just water in the morning with a good moisturizer. I recommend ceravae it has ceramides essential in maintaining moisture. I've had acne for years I'm 47 and have used tretinoin for 2 years now. My skin has never looked better. Follow the steps, be patient you'll be glad."

Registered nurse November 6, 2016

"My derma prescribed me 0.05% Tretinoin and I've been using it for 2 weeks and my pimples are becoming bigger. There's so many new pimples on my cheeks. Is this normal? Should I continue using it?"

Keiamiyah November 1, 2016

"I have recently finished a 9 month course of Roaccutane one month ago and will be beginning to use this cream (0.5%) to maintain my skin and help with marks left behind from pimples. To all the people that say tretinoin breaks you out, either in pill or cream form, that is its process. You can not use it for 1 week, see pimples and stop, it is not making your skin worse, it is getting anything under neath the surface of your face out to eventually clear it, that is what you want. I had an initial breakout for 3 months, everything pimple and gunk in my face came to the surface and eventually all went away. You need to have patience with your skin. It works, just not over night."

L4M October 30, 2016

"I'm 28 years old and I had pretty good until up until I took hormonal birth control 3 years ago and I am still trying to repair the damage to my skin. I've been using a combination of benzoyl peroxide .25% cream in the morning on cleansed skin and trentinoin .05% cream (not the gel) before bed. My skin is very fair and sensitive but it's finally looking better after 2 weeks. So far I've experienced mild purging by the chin and cheek but they are not the huge cystic pimples I used to get before. I think the peeling and redness is worth clear skin in the end."

rma8999 October 25, 2016

"I used the full Obaji package for four months and gradually stopped using their sunblock and skin correction lotions because the breakouts where 100x worse than before I started the treatment for mild acne. I did keep telling myself that my skin would have more breakouts and then improve but 4 months was a long time to wait. Now I only use the tretinoin cream and it had been great. I only have one or two spots max but overall my skin is clear. I use the oil free moisturiser by murad to protect my skin against UV light and I'm really pleased with the results."

36yr old female (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 23, 2016

"I tried this product for about a week and I had a terrible terrible breakout. I always hear great stories, however I could not get pass the purge. I discontinued after 1 week."

Happily married October 19, 2016

"I wanted to share my experience using retin a as mine was very positive. When I was 30 I was so tired of my adult acne that I've had since my teens so I have had acne for years. I was so sick of feeling bad about my skin so I ordered some retin a in the gel form 0.5% and yes, I purged but that didn't last long. All the red spots and brown spots from sun damage had done a number on my skin. Finally after the second week I could see a true difference. I stuck with using this religiously for 2 years until I could handle my skin alone with peels and Aha's. Now at 37 I have gone back to it for spot treatment of some pimples I get mostly hormonal but now I use it more to keep my skin looking young. its worth it if you stick with it."

MsPsylocke (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 19, 2016

"Dear All, I started using tretinoin 0.25 with a face cleanser and Heliocare 90spf sunblock, although I didnt have acne after the use it got started . like my face is ruined. full of cyst acnes . please advise"

insane1010 October 17, 2016

"I am a 29 year old female and have had acne since my early teen years.I have been using tretinoin 0.05 % cream for 6 weeks now and my skin has only gotten worse. I have way more blackheads in places I never had before, my skin gets disgustingly oily but is peeling all at the same time, and I am developing more cysts than I have ever had. I am more self-conscious of my skin now than I have ever been in the past. I see my dermatologist 2 weeks and am hoping there's another option."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2016

"Hi everyone, I have had oily skin and acne since I hit puberty at 9 years old. I am now 39. It doesn't help that I also have keratosis pilaris, resulting in clogged pores on my face, arms, chest, and back. I am able to keep my body skin pretty smooth by using a 10% glycolic acid lotion daily. The best for my face is Retin A Micro .1%. I see a lot of reviews here where people are ready to give up after a few days, a few weeks, or even a few months. I'm sorry to tell you, but you will NOT see maximum results with Retin A until about 7-10 months of regular use. You will go to hell and back several times during the process, but it's worth it. Suck it up, buttercup. You will also look much younger than your actual age. Bonus."

NerdBurglar September 29, 2016