User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stieva-A, Stieva-A Forte, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Learn more about Tretinoin.

Tretinoin Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 430 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Tretinoin to treat Acne

Retin-A (tretinoin): "Retin a cream is tropical treatment for acne and scars, i use retin a cream 0.05% srom last 3 months that cream suits on my face and now face is glowing"

mydrugpill (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2016

"Okay, firstoff, you aint got patience you keeping that acne ! Like boi, i started breakin out in the beggening of 7th grade then my face started being so greasy and you could easily see my pimples, my doctor recomended the trenitoin cream and so i didnt worry much about my acne at that time so i only applied it like once a week cause i kept forgeting but when i actually applied it each night my face started being so dry and peeling it was embarrasing it lasted for about a week so then , in the middle of 8 grade i still had that same acne so i actually got my lazy butt off everynight to apply it and lets just say it takes about 1-2 months depending on how bad ure acne is to see results, just takes time dont give up"

Acne acne acne (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2016

"I was blessed with good clear skin through puberty until almost hitting 30. Crazy acne breakouts over both jawline with big cystic pimples. Headed to derm and was recommended 0.05%. 2weeks into using it, went through hell-ish period as i was told 'deep hidden pimples' started popping one by one - big and red. Encountered sensitive red skin with minimal peeling. But by 3rd week all starts clearing off. Into my 2nd month now and still using it. Using this cream daily before sleep. Cleansed daily with Vit-A cleanser and topped it off with moisturiser and AHA in both day & night time. Never forget to sunscreen. Key word - patience!"

Norashikin July 8, 2016

"I have been using tretinoin for almost 3 weeks now. First week was alright but after that my face broke out quite bad. I had quite a few new pimples on my face. Ughh those two weeks tested my patience but I knew that it has to get worse before getting better so I kept that positive attitude and moved forward. Now I think my face is getting used to the cream and I am not seeing any new pimples anymore. Hopefully, now the "clearing up phase" will start. Fingers crossed."

DhruviP July 4, 2016

"I have been using 0.025% tretinoin cream every other night along with 1% clindamycin in the mornings and alternating each night w the tretinion for a little over a week and I already am seeing huge results!!! I've had minor peeling and some itchiness but minor and well worth it"

KKM5456 July 1, 2016

Retin-A (tretinoin): "I never ever had an issue with acne in my life until I started working after college (I correlate it with the crazy stress at work). So, I started using 0.25% Retin A about a year ago. A couple months in, I wasn't seeing the results I wanted; still breaking out, skin flaking. I emailed my doctor and asked for the 0.5% strength... big mistake. I used that for about three months and my skin could not tolerate it AT ALL. Regardless, I wasn't about to give up totally on Retin A! So I went back to using the 0.25% and FINALLY got the results I've expected all along. I always get comments now on how clear and "fresh" my skin looks. Retin A (especially with a clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide cream) was a miracle for my skin. No pimples.. ever!"

2016Darling July 1, 2016

"ive been on this tretinoin gel for two months and its has its ups and downs. the first month i saw results my face was clearing but the peeling and burning was not what i expected, the second month my face seemed to go back to how i started, which was not ok. I am still using this gel, hoping the third month will bring better results."

jadaa June 30, 2016

"I have been lucky to have very clear skin all of my life. When I turned 50 I started to get minor breakouts on my forehead and around my mouth. I was already seeing a dermatologist for something else, but she sent me home with a script for 1% tretinoin. I had the angry dry skin that looked like my face was peeling off, that lasted a few months, so I started mixing it with my night serum and that made all the difference. 6 months of use I started using my cleanser and that's when I really began to see results. I'm 53, my pores are tight, my rosacea is non existent, and I have had no breakouts in months. My 45 gram tube has lasted the first year and it's not even empty, but I just refilled again at Costco, best price I've found."

Sue-Z-North-West June 26, 2016

"I started using Tretinoin cream occasionally a few months ago. My skin started getting really bad so i started using it every night (as told by my doctor) and i saw a big difference (other then my skin peeling every other day). It was clearing up finally and i barely had any breakouts until two months later and now its like my skin has become immune to the cream. I am now experiencing horrible acne all over my chin area and upper forehead. Planning to set up a new appointment with my dermatologist to try another prescription. Do not recommend."

Kennybrownski (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2016

"I have been using Tretenoin for almost 3 weeks. My face is getting worse, I really don't know what to do? My derma told me this is only normal. What I need to do now is to calm myself and be patient. God heal me. "

Mr_sabarre June 22, 2016

"I got back acne due the extreme hot weather. On my 1st week, it was so painfull and my skin getting red. Now im going to my 2nd week, my skin got peeled but all the bumps, pain n itchiness are still there. We will see, after reading all the reviews, i put hope more on this product."

Karan.karan June 22, 2016

"So I just recently got done being on accutane for six months. My derm told me to start applying tretinoin cream (0.05%) onto my face every night. I'm three weeks post-accutane/into using the tretinoin and it has been awful. I thought after accutane I wouldn't break out hardly at all. However, that's not even close to the truth. I've gotten at least two cystic bumps/pimples/red marks on my face PER DAY for the last TWO WEEKS. It's beginning to cover my face and it is getting continually worse. I have never broken out this much in my entire life. I use a Cetaphil facewash and moisturizer. I really thought after six months of accutane my skin would finally be clear for the first time ever, but now it's simply worse than ever."

Tired of poor skin (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2016

"Hi, It's been 2 months I'm using this cream at night with Cetogly face wash as suggested by a skin specialist whom I visited for acne. And I would say that the result is satisfactory. Doctor prescribed me some tablets as well along with this cream. I would suggest use it only if suggested by a skin specialist because we all have different skin types and different reasons for acne. Hope u understand that skin is a very sensitive & important physical thing so we shouldn't do any experiment with it :) Thanks"

Babita Sajwan June 19, 2016

"Hi. I had mild acne, which I now know was not that bad. When I first started this medication, my skin became dis colored, sensitive, and it broke out. My relatives told me to stop using it, but I read reviews and figured it would get better. I have now been using it for about two and a half months—nothing has changed. It just made my even brown skin patchy and gave me pimples in formerly clear places. I forgot to use it last night, and I am debating on whether or not I should continue. I miss my old skin more then ever. I wish I had never gotten this medication. I am now more insecure then ever before. What should I do?"

Sev_____ June 14, 2016

"So I've been on the cream for like 3 days now and my doctor told me use it every four hours ..I AM SO MISERABLE !! Like OMG my face is peeling my lips is peeling I can't move my mouth , My face hurts like hell , I just look in the mirror and feel so ugly like I don't know what to do but for some reason I want to stop but I keep on going based on the good reviews ..Hopefully it works out"

Courtttttttttttttt June 12, 2016

"I used this to treat acne from ingrown and infected hair follicles on my toosh. I used this in small amounts for 3 days and wound up with a painful sore area. I stopped and then noticed it had all butt stopped the swelling and no new bumps were found. Since then, I used it sporatically and give my skin a chance to heal and I am amazed at how clear it has become."

Yuppers12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2016

"I'll be honest. It works great to smooth out texture, fade red pigmentation, and gradually diminish scarring. But for my acne, it does absolutely nothing. And I've taken it before and after Accutane for a year, in both gel and cream form at varying dosages. And still nothing. The oily, bumpy sandpaper-like texture on my forehead since my moderate-severe acne days as a teenager hasn't improved at all. No effect on cysts and pimples, just the complexion. To be fair, many medications didn't work on me, not even Accutane. So try if you want, but it just wasn't successful on me and this is my second time reviewing this product. Luckily my acne naturally became mild as I got older so it makes no difference if I stop taking it at this point."

kgirl287 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 9, 2016

"i didn't have a good experience with Tretinoin topical, it made my skin really sensitive and everyday i used to wake up with 4-5 painful acne. After 2.5 months of using this everyday,my face was still looking ugly and red. so one day i decided to stop using it at all, within 2 days i felt the difference and today i am at almost 1month of not using this cream, i have no acne atall, after so many days my skin feels smooth. I am also taking oral Doxycycline 100mg twice a day from last 3 months and that seems to be working. Tretinoin makes skin very sensitive and acne prone. Thats my thought"

prachi87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2016

"By far the most helpful medication for my acne scarring. I use it at night and use aczone during the day and they do wonders. I have cystic acne, so to have tackled these kinds of scars needed some serious patience and care. I recommend this to anyone who struggles with this type of acne. I know how hard it is to get rid of those big red inflamed scars, and this definitely does the trick. You just need a lot of patience because it does take some time but you will see a difference within 1-2 weeks."

Carlyyyyyy June 6, 2016

"Hey, I'm 18 years old and have been struggling with acne since I was 10. When I first started tretinoin, my skin broke out and was peeling for about a week or two. I started seeing a lot of improvement by the end of the first month. I've been on tretinoin for almost two months now and have barely any acne. Only one noticiable pimple next to my nose. I still have a few tiny white bumps along my hairline, but I'm sure they will go away with time. One thing I have to say is DON'T use more than a pea sized amount. If you use more than that, it dries your skin out and it peels even more, especially around the mouth area. I wish you good luck and I hope you achieve the same results as me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2016

"Hi I'm 14 and I've been on many different prescriptions for my acne. It started 2 years ago and got increasingly worse. Now I'm stuck with the scars, and lumps and bumps everywhere! My doctor gave me this and at first it just got worse. After a month I saw an extremely minuscule change. Slowly but surely my acne started to get better. I'm still on it and I see improvements everyday!"

Jani.mc (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

Retin-A (tretinoin): "This product is amazing. I'm 19 years old and after going on the pill my acne became terrible. I got cysts all over my cheeks and chin that left terrible scarring and I continued to break out constantly. My doctor prescribed Retin-A and I was a little apprehensive at first because some people were saying that it made their acne worse. But I was so sick of looking at the scars on my face and I had tried everything to fade them and nothing did. So I started using Retin-A and it worked right away. I've been using it for two weeks and some of my scars are completely gone and others continue to fade. I also haven't broken out at all since I started using it. I wish I had found it sooner because it's truly wonderful."

Anonymous May 25, 2016

Retin-A (tretinoin): "I've dealt with moderate acne since I was roughly 12 years old. I've tried just about every acne treatment out there with no prevail. When I started my Retin-A (0.025) treatment 5 months ago I became really discouraged by my skins immediate discolouration, mostly red, and the flakiness it created. I came close a couple times to giving up, especially when my skin wasn't clearing up and how sore I was some days from the continuous use. But this past month has been the turn around. I feel I am finally out of the so called 'purge' and my skin is becoming clear and smooth like it has been in past for short stints. The best advice I can give any user is to have patience. It's not an overnight fix, but the long term results are worth it."

samkkamuel May 17, 2016

"Hi I am 34 and so happy I saw these comments! I was supposed to continue this product 5 months ago but I clearly did not listen to my Dermatologist and gave up after a week. My chin hurt so bad and I could not get past why it gets worse before getting better! So after my follow up and her asking about it and me saying I threw it out.. She wrote me another script and told me to do it. Now I am back where I started and am hurting like crazy. I hope your all right and I will heal within a few months. Acne is no fun and never had until my 30s."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2016

"I'm 13 years old with lots of acne i do lots of sports and I got back acne very bad I became self conscious . it really sucked I didn't not wear muscle shirts for months because of the emberessing acne on my back...I told my doctor and she told me about trentinoin cream..which I've been using for a few weeks it has been working great.The only thing is Im peeling and itching.bad at times...I see lots of improvement but this is something you have to be patient about..summer is coming. And I don't wanna be covered up all summer lol I recommend the product..just remember stay patient and clam and it willl clear up in no time "

jazzy jay (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2016