User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stieva-A, Stieva-A Forte, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Tretinoin Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 403 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Tretinoin to treat Acne

"I decided to give this treatment an 8/10 because I have only been using it for about 3 weeks and have not yet seen the full results. However, so far this cream has been amazing!!! I can really see the difference on my skin. The first couple of weeks your face will become extremely dry, begin to flake, and even burn a bit but after your skin will get used to it. I apply the creme every other night and usually try to moisturize with Cerave SA Creme (although meant for body). This has helped tremendously with the dry skin. I broke out a little the first week but after that have had no issues. I also see my blackheads going away as well."

Jas (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2018

"I started using this for adult acne. But been on it a little over one month. Noticing a persistent age spot has most definitely started to fade. I did not experience any purging or worsening of acne as I was warned. It does take the oils out of your skin. The places which were on my face when I started have all gone. The extra benefits of clearing up my face is wonderful. The first couple of weeks my skin was really peeling. Now my skin seems to have adjusted. I always use the cream at night then moisturizer + sunscreen every day outside to keep the results I’m getting. Oh and remember don’t put Retin A on your damp face, for some reason it’s so much worse on peeling and itching if you do. I am using a very small amount like the size of a pea. Overall I’m very pleased and plan to continue."

Denise (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

"Honestly, my pimples are getting worse, bigger & more red. My skin burns and itches so baddd! I can’t even handle it. This isn’t doing anything for my face. Someone commented on here saying to just keep going & that it will make your acne worse for the first 3 MONTHS then it gets better. Are you kidding me like I have that long to wait & let my face look hideous with more pimples. I have a wedding in 7 months. I’m just gonna make an appointment for laser duh, should’ve known no acne medication I’ve EVER gotten from a “dermatologist” ever worked for me & I barely have pimples. No doctor can help me, seriously this is a joke. If Kim K. had pimples & went to a doctor I’m sure they would give her a product that actually works. Drs are nothing but scams. It’s like they hate for you to look good cause you’re a pretty girl."

Queen A (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2018

"I have suffered from acne since I was 12 years old. Now a junior in college, I still had bad breakouts from my period and acne scars from over the years. I decided to visit a dermatologist and she recommended Retin-A. At first, my skin peeled from use every other night, but I decided to use it 3 times a week instead and it helped my skin from the burning/peeling and was still able to get my skin cleared up. I use Cetaphil cleanser every day in the morning and night then tone my face with witch hazel (super good on the skin and does not burn) and finish off with Shea Moisture problem skin moisturizer. Vitamin E oil also helps with the minor peeling if you are experiencing from Retin-A. It has been 4 months and my acne scars have cleared up, I do not have any pimples, and made my skin a more even texture. However, I have noticed that it has lightened my face a bit since none of my foundations no longer match my current skin tone."

Gcntrrs2 February 13, 2018

"I am just at the beginning of my journey. My face has been broke out terribly for over 2 months which really affecting my self confidence. I really hope through all the reviews I have read that this will help. I’m 37 and have had acne problems off and on for years. I’m ready for a long term solution."

C-Lou (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2018

"So I never write reviews unless I absolutely love or hate a product.. now Tretinoin .025 is my life saver. I went to the dermatologist because my skin was so bad I didn't want to go anywhere and I was at a point where I didn't want my own husband to look at me. But I started retin A (tretinoin .025) and for the first 3 months my skin got worse and these reviews are what got me through it JUST KEEP GOING I never thought I'd be the one saying this but I have CLEAR skin now .In the beginning it burned to put it on but I stuck with it and used a fan as I put it on. Here is the regimen in order so you can achieve moisturized skin 1.deep cleanse (wash makeup off) (night) 2.cleanse (fragrance free oil free) 3.TONER (don't skip) (witch hazel) 4.tretinoin (night only) 5.the ordinary hyaluronic acid serum (Pat on don't rub) 6.clinique serum moisture surge 7.moisturizer fragrance free oil free I know it's alot but it's worth it."

Confidenceisback (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin): "Hey guys!! I started using retin-a 0.1% two years back but within a month my skin became very dry i stopped using it though there was no other side effects. But after reading comments here I got inspired and got courage to use it again. So I have started to use it again and hoping that it will work for me as well. I'll leave an update my experience soon.."

Tirti January 25, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin): "I have been using Retin-A along with the oral antibiotic Clindamycin for 4 months now. I am 20 and have had severe cystic acne since I was 11. I also had a lot of hyper-pigmentation and scarring, to the point where my face was always bright red and bumpy. In just 4 months my face has completely cleared up and smoothed out, it is visibly brighter. The hyperpigmentation is lightening significantly at this point, a few small pimples or blackheads occasionally but mostly clear! The only other product I use is witch hazel as a toner and an oil free moisturizer."

Cheyenne Noel January 21, 2018

"23 Female ! I have very oily skin . Black heads and whiteheads all over face ! Also big pores ! I start using tretionin 6 dec . Today I have a clean face ! No more blackheads or white heads . Very clean face and min. Pores. First 2 weeks my face was very sensitive . And skin felt like dandruff , redness and a lil bit painful - don't get scared your face will get used with this. I put it every night after I washed my face with neutrogena face wash , applied tretionin all over face Over night ! In the morning washed face and apply la roche possay mosturise with 25SPF . I'm very thankful for this medicine that my derm. Gave to me ! "

MegiMlsmn January 12, 2018

"This medicine has changed my life, truly. Since I have stuck with it, through the “purging” phase and continued usage, my skin has never been better! I feel confident in my skin. I’ve been using it at night with clindamycin phosphate gel with benzoyl peroxide in the morning. My skin is more clear than it has ever been. Thankful!!! Would recommend to anyone."

happychic44 January 10, 2018

"This stuff is really great, I’ve started using it again since I started breaking out really badly again after years of clear skin. I used this when I was a teenager, now in my 20s and it works just as well!"

MadeleineeeT December 29, 2017

"I faced problems with acne through all my life and now, with 26 years old, I'm still with the same issues (the only notable difference is where the pimples grow). I have adult acne (hormonal acne) and this condition started to really bother me at the beginning of October; I was with 5-6 cystic pimples in my chin and left cheek. So I decided to seek for a 'birth control pill free' treatment (side effects sucks) and went to the dermatologist. She prescribed me 100 mg of spironolactone and topic tretinoin 0,25mg/g with clindamycin fosfate 12mg/g. I was really excited to get rid of this problem, but actually, It just get worse. I've had the WORST breakout ever (a lot of cystic acne and some pustules), and was facing dizziness and fainting sensations"

GabiSoffiati (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2017

"So I started this medication in high school, and it did a good job of clearing up a lot of my white heads and smaller puss-filled acne all over my face. Now I am in college and I have large, painful cystic acne all over my chin, and it has done basically nothing for that :("

LPS3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 3, 2017

"I'm in my 30s and got cystic acne due to beauty medical treatment that stimulated my pimples. Spoken to my cousin who is a Dermatologist suggested me to use Tretinoin cream at night which I tried last night 22.11.17 however I have tried and used so many products already and almost gave up until my Mom's friend advised me to try crushed aspirin which I apply as mask on areas where I needed it and its a blessing coz its the only thing that actually works."

Vliz414 November 23, 2017

Retin A Micro (tretinoin): "I’m 49, with hereditary cystic acne w/hormonal component. I’ve tried everything with various degree of success for limited time. Birth control pills; accutane; Minocycline, which helped but caused teeth discoloration! Topical washes, BP, proactive—everything limited. Blue light therapy seems to help but caused hyper pigmentation four me. My sister recommended 0.04% micro gel, which I have been using for about 3 weeks. Redness and bumps ensued but didn’t know to wait the 20 min to apply after washing! Also using 302 (Brand) for inflammatory skin, which is helping (recommend). My skin is still breaking out but healing way faster w/some peeling but pitting is improving! I’m hopeful at last. Definitely the cystic pain is better. Clarisonic @PM helps."

Maybethiswillwork November 19, 2017

"My acne got worse in my mid 20s and after trying every tip I could find I finally decided to go to the doctor and he gave me tretinoin . After several research's I found out that things might get worse in the beginning. And indeed things got worse after a few weeks and I broke out terribly, I cried when I looked in the mirror but I thought “just stick with it” and trust me its worth it! I know its really hard but when its over its getting better and better (took me 3-4 months to see first results). Also don't pick because you will have a giant wound after it. Good thing about that; I am not picking anymore :) ! I I also use BP in the morning and zinc, after 11 months I’m now getting compliments for my flawless skin! Don't give up its worth it"

Marie91 November 18, 2017

"I purged the 4th week but after that nothing new came I just had to pop out all the left over blackheads because they will not leave if i just leave them alone! I'm in the 6th week right now and have some new open and closed comedones due to what I think is that time of the month.... overall decently satisfied with my results :)"

madawg29 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

"I've been using Tretinoin Microsphere .04 gel for about a month and 1/2 & just now starting to see improvement in my skin. After using it for about a week & 1/2, for about 2 weeks afterwards my skin looked dull, a little red, developed small bumps on my cheeks and had acne scars.I take full responsibility for the acne scars because I have a pesky, horrible habit of popping my zits and picking at them (Bad! But working on it). My derm. also prescribed 5% Benzoyl Peroxide and a Clindamycin Gel to use in the mornings but now I'm using that as a spot treatment, because my skin got itchy and red & burned for about 2 hours after using it on my entire face. Now my skin looks more vibrant & smoother, acne scars are getting better & I have no bumps!"

Nina9040 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2017

"Dr prescribed with this in the .05 cream for acne. I been using it for 3 years now and my face has stayed clear. Whenever I experience a breakout I just dab it on as needed after I wash my face. They only downfall I would say is it takes a little minute for it to clear my acne all the way. Other than that, its a good product."

Me. (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 9, 2017

Atralin (tretinoin): "I have struggled with Acne since puberty. I started using Atralin in my 40's. This has been the only product to ever get my acne under control. So nice to be free from worry. Go to the beach, work out, wear no make up sometimes! I wish this was around when I was younger and perhaps would of avoided so much scaring. For me my scars are really all over except my face so I did luck out with that. Also it makes skin smoother and skin look younger. Cost has gone now which is a plus ,used to be very expensive when it first came out. If I stop it acne always comes back. So I have to use it every night. I combine it with another acne lotion from my dermatologist. I have light sensitive skin and it does not irritate it like other products."

Laney1 September 10, 2017

"I never leave reviews but I'm going to leave one for tretinoin. My routine was BP face wash in the morning and a layer of tretinoin all over my face after washing it with a mild soap+moisturizer. My routine was prescribed by my doctor. Ok, let me start by sayin, my purge period was horrible. I didn't even want to leave the house. It was the worst it had ever been in my life. Even when I was 19 and deployed to Afghanistan and couldn't wash my face I had better skin. I didn't want to leave the house. It effected my self confidence. And I was looking online for everyone's experience because I was convinced I was the outlier that tretinoin would not apply to. it took me 4 months to see results. But it worked. Keep pushing through it."

Tret doubter September 9, 2017

"Aczone 7.5 gel at night, wait 20 min then apply a light oil free gel moisturiser, then tretinoin gel 0.5% worked for me, being doing this for a year and acne is gone. Had some peeling and redness for first 4 months but so worth it now, and great for wrinkles too!"

Anonymous August 29, 2017

"I've had to battle acne since the age of 13, I am now 46 and I still have acne issues every so often. I was prescribed Tretinoin .05% 10 years ago and have been a faithful user all these years, I can honestly say that Tretinoin has been a life savior for my skin! Not only does it help with the acne but it has stalled wrinkles!!! I've had so many compliments and no one believes my real age lol that's a huge plus!!! You must stick to it tho and don't give up! It took me a whole 8 months before I saw a difference in my acne! I wish I was able to post a pic so everyone could see how amazing it works!"

PinkBunny46 August 25, 2017

"I have been having cystic acne for the past 3 years. When I feel a cyst coming up I apply a thin very thin amount daily once. Wait at least 30 minutes after showering. After a few days I'll use hydrocortisone cream at night then back to routine. Physians formula makeup plus this routine has cut healing time. Every now and then I'll get a small one apply cream and a Cold compresses to the area help to before applying the cream. Only use as needed."

30girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 9, 2017

"Amazing. I am experiencing only mild peeling and the benefits are phenomenal. Skin is virtually poreless and very smooth. Pores are clean. Speeding up healing of acne marks. Love it."

FlamingoPink August 8, 2017