User Reviews for SAMe

Learn more about SAMe.

Herbal Supplementation 1 reviews 19 medications

Reviews for SAMe

"I was shocked how fast this worked. I've been a long distance runner for years but have gradually gained weight thanks to menopause and occasional binge eating. Had to stop running (or even walking) for 8 months because of ankle tendon tear and gained even more weight, plus many of my joints became very stiff and achy - especially in the mornings. My ankle finally healed, and I tried to return to simple walking - I was in constant pain when I moved, ankles, knees, lower back. Ibuprofen bothered my stomach. I tried SAMe (a 400mg tablet) and 3 hours later the pain was 80% gone. I've continued it (400mg twice a day) for 2 months now and am walking again. Added benefit - it's helped me lose weight (no more feelings like I want to binge)."

AlennaM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016

For Herbal Supplementation "I've been taking SAM-e for years, heard about it on a PBS Special covering depression. It has been mentally beneficial; my moods are much brighter & my behavior is steadier. I don't ever see myself not taking it. There are downsides, however. Anyone considering this medicine must realize that: (1) You cannot be a causal taker; once on it you need to stick with it, because it will make your depression worse if you aren't careful with dosing or wean yourself off of it. (2) It can cause sleeplessness, always take it in the morning (or plan to take a sleep aid in the eve). (3) It is expensive; shop around. (4) You take the enteric coated on an empty stomach for effectiveness. (5) It takes roughly 3 weeks before relief of symptoms occurs."

WackyKathy (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2016

For Osteoarthritis "It works but side effects with digestion so bad Had to stop it."

Heywood (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

For Osteoarthritis "I like SAMe it keeps my mood even and I have arthritis and anxiety. Have had pain remission ever since starting SAMe over 8 months ago. I take it with Super B Complex which is recommended to keep homocysteine levels even . It works great as a mood elevator. Love it"

Ukie December 21, 2014

"I have found SAMe to be superb at relieving the symptoms of depression. I live with chronic severe pain and even though my pain medicines are very effective depression was a significant part of my life until I tried SAMe. I can't take any of the tricyclic medicines - severe adverse reactions to that whole family of antidepressants but SAMe works and has no side effects at all. I just feel like me again."

Anonymous February 10, 2011

More about SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine)

Professional resources