User Reviews for SAMe

Herbal Supplementation
6.8

Summary of SAMe reviews 7.3 5 reviews

Reviews for SAMe

For Herbal Supplementation "Have used SAMe off and on to relieve osteoarthritis pain and to boost activity level secondary to depression. Had severe abdominal pain and nausea after taking one brand of SAMe. Had similar issue with an OTC medicine to treat the GI disturbance. The common element was mannitol — a sugar alcohol that is present in some supplements and otc medicines. Read online that this sugar alcohol can trigger severe GI disturbance in some people. I searched for and found a brand of Sam-e without mannitol or any other sugar alcohols. There has been no reoccurrence of GI upset."

Nope (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 15, 2018

For Herbal Supplementation "I have been taking SSRI's for 25 years. Still, I have had periods of sadness which increase to an overall sense of lack of interest, eventually, seemingly the whole spectrum of depression. I had been taking 400mg./day for a year and didn't notice anything beneficial. Someone (an MD) suggested I might try 1600mg. of Sam-e along with a Vitamin B supplement. It was incredible that about 3 hours later I suddenly sensed a complete disappearance of sadness. It was absolutely amazing given that these episodes of sadness had plagued me for many years. I will continue to take them for as long as the rest of my life since this one medication suggestion (sam-e and Vit. B complex has almost single-handedly turned me around."

Nick09 July 27, 2017

For Herbal Supplementation "I've been taking Sam e for about 2 years, with a brief period of about 2 weeks when I stopped and quickly realized just how much this medication was helping me. I decided to try it due to increasing feelings of sadness and irritation (I have small kids at home and felt like my temper was getting shorter and shorter!). At first I thought it was helping "a little" but stopped because of the cost. About a week later I noticed I was becoming less and less tolerant to small things. When restarted the short temper quickly faded and I've stayed on it since."

GBJ 1.23 May 11, 2017

For Herbal Supplementation "I took the medicine for 2 days. One pill per day, on the third day I woke up fine and fifteen minutes later I had severe abdominal pain, sweating enough to drench my shirt and head, disorientated, dizzy, and vomiting.I ended up in the ER and after blood work, an EKG, and a CT scan they couldn't find anything. They could tell me what it wasn't'. They sent me home with anti nauseous medicine. So two days go by and I realize I have not taken my supplement for arthritis so I take it that afternoon and by evening I have severe abdominal pain, dizziness and vomiting. Pretty sure it was the SAMe because I have felt fine since not taking any."

Not happy 2 December 2, 2016

"I was shocked how fast this worked. I've been a long distance runner for years but have gradually gained weight thanks to menopause and occasional binge eating. Had to stop running (or even walking) for 8 months because of ankle tendon tear and gained even more weight, plus many of my joints became very stiff and achy - especially in the mornings. My ankle finally healed, and I tried to return to simple walking - I was in constant pain when I moved, ankles, knees, lower back. Ibuprofen bothered my stomach. I tried SAMe (a 400mg tablet) and 3 hours later the pain was 80% gone. I've continued it (400mg twice a day) for 2 months now and am walking again. Added benefit - it's helped me lose weight (no more feelings like I want to binge)."

AlennaM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016

For Herbal Supplementation "I've been taking SAM-e for years, heard about it on a PBS Special covering depression. It has been mentally beneficial; my moods are much brighter & my behavior is steadier. I don't ever see myself not taking it. There are downsides, however. Anyone considering this medicine must realize that: (1) You cannot be a causal taker; once on it you need to stick with it, because it will make your depression worse if you aren't careful with dosing or wean yourself off of it. (2) It can cause sleeplessness, always take it in the morning (or plan to take a sleep aid in the eve). (3) It is expensive; shop around. (4) You take the enteric coated on an empty stomach for effectiveness. (5) It takes roughly 3 weeks before relief of symptoms occurs."

WackyKathy (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2016

For Osteoarthritis "It works but side effects with digestion so bad Had to stop it."

Heywood (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

For Osteoarthritis "I like SAMe it keeps my mood even and I have arthritis and anxiety. Have had pain remission ever since starting SAMe over 8 months ago. I take it with Super B Complex which is recommended to keep homocysteine levels even . It works great as a mood elevator. Love it"

Ukie December 21, 2014

"I have found SAMe to be superb at relieving the symptoms of depression. I live with chronic severe pain and even though my pain medicines are very effective depression was a significant part of my life until I tried SAMe. I can't take any of the tricyclic medicines - severe adverse reactions to that whole family of antidepressants but SAMe works and has no side effects at all. I just feel like me again."

Anonymous February 10, 2011

More about SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine)