User Reviews for Rifaximin to treat Hepatic Encephalopathy

Also known as: Xifaxan

Rifaximin has an average rating of 8.3 out of 10 from a total of 13 ratings for the treatment of Hepatic Encephalopathy. 85% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Rifaximin Rating Summary

8.3/10 average rating

Compare all 7 medications used in the treatment of Hepatic Encephalopathy.

Reviews for Rifaximin

SmokyHollow · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2019

Xifaxan (rifaximin): “I have been on Xifaxan for 1 month now. I'm on Medicare so you know that story. Took me 9 months to finally acquire. Before Xifaxan I spent my day like a dog chasing my tail. Has done a tremendous job on clearing up my thought process. Would like to add this comment, shame on you The Food and Drug Cartel. Who are the real criminals here?”

heppercat January 30, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin): “I had taken Lactulose for almost 5 yrs before Xifaxan came out. I had a lot of diarrhea and general bloating and abdominal discomfort with Lactulose. That all disappeared when I started Xifaxan, and I would encourage patients to do themselves a favor and improve their quality of life by asking their doc for Xifaxan. My ammonia is <25, better than when I took Lactulose, and my feeling of well-being is 10 out of 10.”

Peewee · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2019

Xifaxan (rifaximin): “Hi I have end stage liver and could not use bathroom for a bowel motion unless I took a bunch of lactulose to go, and when I did it was crazy I pooped my brains out. But I was having a problem because it would make me a prisoner in my home. Then I tried Xifaxan and after taking for three days no result, fourth day bingo and I stayed using it and it was more tolerable than lactose. So I feel much better. So I go to my gastroenterologist and told him it worked great but I now have heart failure "" not good"" ”

oLturner · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 17, 2017

Xifaxan (rifaximin): “The whole premise of offering a life saving drug to patients, only to change the policy after the first years trial was successful. This company should not be allowed to offer a life-saving drug, gain notoriety and good press when in actuality, the patients that are responsible for the "trial" are just completely dismissed. The majority of people with digestive health issues this bad, are seniors. So for the company Salix to offer this and promote any kind of Affordability is just sad. Morally and ethically wrong for business. Who can afford a prescription that costs the Customer $750 A MONTH. As if that itself weren't bad enough, (that is a rent or mortgage payment) the company acknowledges that they do not and will not accept medicare.”

NCIronMan · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2021

Xifaxan (rifaximin): “I just received my first bottle. I put Lactoloose on my drug allergies list! I have alcoholic cirrhosis. Quit drinking 4 years ago. My liver & portal vein are permanently damaged but are thankful my condition has stabilized! I still have toxic ammonia levels. I have been in a "mental fog" for years. Forgetful, mentally confused, poor motor skills, disorientation, (doesn't help I have bad vertigo too) you name it. I didn't know what it was from. Thought I was getting dementia, I'm 63. NOW I KNOW WHAT WAS CAUSING IT hepatic encephalopathy or HE. I only have Medicare Advantage and the co-pay was $840 a month! Couldn't afford it. MY GI doc applied me for Bosch Assistance Program. I was APPROVED and received my 1st FREE bottle of Xifaxan 550mg today. I am SO GRATEFUL!!! Can not WAIT to see if this fog lifts. Wish me luck.”

Bon King December 8, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin): “Miracle drug is the first comment that comes to mind . I have end stage liver disease and currently wait patiently on the transplant list . I cannot explain my life or more even my unbearable existence I have undergone in the last several years . I began having difficulty with concentrating and unable to focus . I was so frustrated with myself living a life of total confusion to a point that I was in constant fear . My long term physician prescribed the medication to decrease the ammonia elevated by my failing liver . I was at a point that I was so depressed and had no desire to wake up in the mornings . I began taking the medication in disbelief and only as a last resort . I need more room to elaborate my response”

Kahuna57 August 3, 2017

Xifaxan (rifaximin): “$1375 with ins and ins won't cover but $12.50. Highway robbery and not worth it in my opinion. Will try and fix some other way. Drug companies should be ashamed and BC/BS should be abolished. You all high and mighty CEOs need to think about the patients,”

Jackie boy · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2019

Xifaxan (rifaximin): “My HE (hepatic encephalopathy) did 180 degree change on Xifaxan. Better mentally, peaceful, actually. My wife and my friends noticed the improvement in me after 2 weeks on 550mg, twice a day. Still take lactulose because cirrhosis is stage 4.”

RobinLP · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin): “I am Stage 4 Cirrohsis, diagnosed with Hepatic Encephalopothy. Started Xifaxan about a week ago. I was concerned with a few comments from a different doc about this medication. I'm glad I found this site because I feel so much better reader about your experiances. I am so looking forward to feeling better!”

jet jones October 27, 2016

“I live on a fixed budget also paying for my nursing home. 892.00 for 60 pills is ridiculous.I will quit taking these pills . These pharmaceutical companies just take it to us as much as they can. we need more regulations to how much they can charge us. We have a choice to pay or not. I will let nature take it's course.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 6, 2017

“Xifaxan did not work for me. I am diagnosed with "covert" or "mild" Hepatic Encephalpathy. It's debilitating but not obvious to anyone but me...until I make a mistake or say something *random*. Worst at sunrise & sunset. Intermittent aphasia. Horrible when dehydration snowballs into IBS. As I understand it this is a non-persistent anti-biotic that eliminate bacteria that produce ammonia. Thing is, my ammonia levels are not high. I think this is why the Rifaximin doesn't seem to do anything for my situation. My suggestion would be to use this product when someone has the "wetbrain" sort of episodes; that is to say, when ammonia levels in the blood are very high.”

no one number May 11, 2014

Xifaxan (rifaximin): “My husband's thought process has improved greatly. He also has more energy and less depression. He feels better.”

Joe59 · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 20, 2020

Xifaxan (rifaximin): “Have been on this over 2 years. 100% satisfied. Have not returned to hospital, and ammonia levels have remained doable.”

Mysickliver · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2017

Xifaxan (rifaximin): “Ridiculous price. Makes using it prohibitive. Salix should be ashamed of themselves. Lactulose worked very well and totally affordable.”

Kelpet1 January 13, 2017

Xifaxan (rifaximin): “I completely agree...miracle drug. If I stop taking this for any reason I WILL get sick. In combination with Lactulose, I feel like a new person. Thank you to the docs that figured this out!!!”

Anonymous February 2, 2011

“I was diagnosed with Cirrhosis of the Liver. This medication helped with my Hepatic Encephalopathy. I just wish it was not so expensive.”

Cherdean · Taken for less than 1 month November 25, 2018

“Found affordable xifaxan in Canadian pharmacy. Med has brought mental clarity to normal and feel much better”

Edward · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

“I think it is helping. I’m still confused all the time. Now on Federal Disabilty. Difficult to remember to do things. Difficult to drive my Carrera S. But I have hope.”

CRAPPYLIVER · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 8, 2019

“rifaximin is very effective. Stopped my regular hospitalizations due to HE (hepatic encephalopathy)”

Learn more about Hepatic Encephalopathy