User Reviews for Primidone

Also known as: Mysoline

Learn more about Primidone.

Seizures 11 reviews 48 medications

8.7
Benign Essential Tremor 31 reviews 3 medications

5.2
Summary of Primidone reviews 42 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Primidone

For Benign Essential Tremor: "Got Benign Essential Tremor 42 yrs ago. I was 13. Been on primidone 50 mg two in a.m close to 20 years. I just found out it is a barbituate. No wonder I'm sleepy all the time in the morning. Now when I look back I had been vomiting in the beginning. I was even hospitalized for intractable vomiting. Tomorrow I have an abdominal ultrasound because I constantly have GERD and have vomited a lot recently. Meds forever for GERD all sorts of kinds. I have always let an internal medicine doctor prescribe the med. I am going to see a specialist asap. I gave primidone a rating of five because my tremor has never fully stopped it just isn't as noticeable to the public. Occasionally someone will say I am nervous. Then I tell them I have benign essential tremor. Sick of it!"

shake for me girl (taken for 10 years or more) March 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "Issues with tremors of the trapezious muscles ( bobble head). Dizziness, nausea within 30 minutes of taking first dose. Currently only medication on my list of "Medications allergic to"."

Roger K (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I am an 86 year old female and have an essential tremor. I had Deep brain stimulation (DBS) surgery in July 2008. My battery isn't working as well as it did in the beginning. I have tried drug after drug to help the tremor. I have been taking tab Primidone 1/2 of 50 mg twice a day for a week. My vision is affected, my legs are like noodles, sooooooooooo, I am going to try 1/2 at night or maybe quit all together. I still drive taking care of business but with the vision problem I don't drive. I took care of my husband with Alzheimer's for 12 years 2003 to 2015, I have written two books documenting the progression of the disease. I am active but the vision stops me from living my life, What should I do?"

Lo-D (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I have what my doctor calls a mild case of benign essential tremors, but when I'm trying to practice or perform with my guitar, or do electronic work with small parts, its become more than annoying. Proprananol works, but as an asthmatic I have to avoid it or I'll wheeze. Doctor gave me a small dose of primadone, 50mg, and told me to cut some pills in half and just use 1/2 for a week or so first). I don't know if I'd get used to this stuff over time, but unless I'm willing to forget about musical performing while I wait, I'm going to have to stop. I find my coordination, speed, concentration, ability to remember song parts and lyrics severely hampered. It does reduce (but not elimate) the tremors, but what good is it if I can't do my work?"

rconstan (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures: "I am 62 yrs old since 19 I had 4 seizures and was on Dilantin 500mg/day and Mysoline (primidone) 250mg 3 X/day. Then 2 mths. before I became 62 I had a seizure . The Neurologist took me off Primidone and put me on Topiramate 100mg twice daily. I could feel my change confusion,loss appetite and then 32 days later I had a seizure worse than the one earlier . I went back to him and he took me off topiramate and increased my primidone to 2x250mg primidone twice /day for total of 1000mg primidone along with the original dilantin.I am just starting to feel normal again like I did for the past 43 yrs. with no side affects that I am aware of yet plus it was something that I was taking for years and never noticed any of the side affects listed."

Old Niagara January 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "After taking 750mg/day for about 8 months, it felt great not to have my tremor as much. But in the last 3 months I have been getting stiffer and stiffer as the days went on. I have one frozen shoulder confirmed, but my back, neck and other joints were aching too. My GP looked up primidone in his book and said joint stiffness is a side effect. So I have no choice but to reduce my dosage. A week after reducing my tremor is much worse, so I don't know what to do now as I have exhausted all other medication. "

Shaky bones (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "Tremors seem to be getting worse. I take 2 a day. Just turned 70. Have had tremors for many years. Maybe I should ask my doctor is there is something else for me to try."

Bif604 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 8, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I have had ET's for several years and taken various medications with varying degrees of success, I have recently been put on 50mg of Primidone four in the morning, two in the afternoon and four more at night. But the tremors are worse than ever. I can't even read my own writing. It is just scribbling. This stuff is a complete loser. I definitely need something different"

Ernest Rahm September 5, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures: "I'm a 64 yr old male. I have essential tremor of the hands and neck/head. Until 5 yrs ago, it had gone undiagnosed or misdiagnosed for 45 years. I've been taking Primidone for 2 months now. I've recently increased the dosage to 100mg - 2 times a day. This is the only Essential Tremor drug I'm taking at this time. I've been on Inderal, Topiramate, Gabipentin, Carbodopa/Levadopa and combinations. Recently Phenol injections into my neck muscles did more harm then good. Now, I can't even lift my arms above my shoulders. Here's hoping the primidone increase has some effect on my hands and head shakes. No side effects so far. I have not figured out why some days I have almost no tremor. Have tracked my diet, doesn't seem to be connected ?"

Bill on the pill (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "Have had essential temors for many years, now at age 69 they interfered with my quality of life. Could not hold anything steady and my beautiful penmanship was horrid! I fought the thought of taking a prescribed medicine since I was so lucky not to take any, even at my age, except Imitrex for migraines 2-3 times a month. I am taking 50mg 2x a day, and it has been working great, even the migraines has decreased. I am sleeping so soundly at night that my days are so much better. After 4 months on it, I have noticed no side effects, but a little of the tremor is returning, which my doctor told me could happen. Not ready to increase dose though."

69yrold August 11, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "It took me 2 months to adjust to primadone. I was in a cloud, not able to do my bookkeeping job, not much of a short term memory, but now after 6 months, I feel like my old self, just in need of an hour nap/day. My problem is I can only take half of a 50 mg, which is 25 mg. However, these pills do not come in a 25 mg. Smallest mg is 50. So I have to cut the pills in half. In doing so, the pill crumbles so I always lose half of it anyway. I asked the pharmacist if they could cut the pill in half but they said that is illegal for a pharmacy to do so. I wish it came in 25 mg and I wish I could find out if it will in the future. After investing all this time in adjusting to the 25 mg I would hate to start over with another drug."

Kathy Kane (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I woke up from surgery with tremors in my hands. It was diagnosed as Essential Tremors. I was an Computer Science teacher who could no longer control a mouse, write etc. I retired. Last Spring, while vacationing in Naples FL, I searched for and found a "Temporary" Primary Care Doctor. I prepared a listing of all my physicians, my conditions (including essential tremors), my prescriptions, and my over the counter medications. The doctor covered all the items on the list and asked me what I was taking for the Essential Tremors. The answer of nothing surprised him, He told me that I should take a low dose of Primidone. From his input, my Primary Care Doctor prescribed a 50 mg dose at night. Instant cure! I wrote my name the next morning!"

JOEYP July 12, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "Further to my post in April. I am now on 750mg/day of primidone. No side effects other than my mouth is numb and ejeculation is difficult. The tremor has reduced a bit, but it still have to write with my left instead of right. Seeing the consultant in August, but fear that he may recommend DBS again."

Shaky bones (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "After taking a half of a tiny pill of Primidone for 4 nights at bedtime I could not walk down the hall when I woke up. I was falling every where & was so nauseated & I had horrible Nightmares that woke me up screaming ! First thing Monday morning I called the neurologist that had prescribed it & the receptionist would not let me talk to her- Said she would call be back . she did not call so I called again later in the Day . Still would not let me talk to the Doctor ,but told me" she said never take it again ."My primary Care Dr sent me to see a specialist who checked my eyes & hearing & a lot of things with his special machines .He determined that it was the Primidone that was causing the problems. ( Of course I never took it again ) Bt"

Grandma241 May 19, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I am 31 male. Just figured out, I have ET. I could not take propanolol due to asthma. Doctor prescribed 1/4 of 250 mg primidone (mysoline) at bed time at night. I had horrible side effects next morning. Head spinning sensation plus nauseated all day long. Hands felt numb. Tremor was controlled though by some amount. But too much side effect to continue. Doctor changed it to topiramate. Today is first day, i am taking topiramate."

khan5 (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "Beta blockers don't work, tried primidone recently. Started at 150 mg, now up to 250 mg, 50% improvement. I'm not sure if I want to take this long term for 50% improvement. I have gotten by most of the time just dealing with my tremors. But I'm so tired of having them!"

JDEJ April 22, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I've had ET for 20 years now and been on propranolol 160mg/day (heartbeat 50bpm). I has recently started to get worse as I approach 50 and propranolol on its own wasn't cutting it. Doc prescribed gabapentin, but taking 12 x 300mg tablets everyday was making a difference, but didn't want to take that many pills. So doc prescribed toprimate (awful stuff), the sickness and pins and needles in my feet were just too much. So doc tried clonzepam, it took me a year to get up to full dosage of 2 tablets per day, but even that didn't work that well. So I asked doc to refer me to a specialist. The specialist said take primidone, which is what I am on now @ 250mg/day. I have to get to 750mg/day by August.!"

Shaky bones April 17, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I started out with Primidone at 50mg at night, but I couldn't shake off the side effects until about 9 am the next morning. Tired, disoriented, lethargic and dizzy. Couldn't take it during the day when I needed it the most, so it was basically useless for me. Dr. changed this to Topiramate which works much better. No apparent side effects and I worked up from 50mg a day to 150 mg in the morning, with another 50 in the mid afternoon to keep the calmness going. I have to write a lot in my job and although it takes about 2 hours to achieve full effect, the Primidone keeps the shakes away for a good 5 hours."

Tantor February 16, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I have been taking 250 mgs of Primidone for the last 17 years for Benign Essential (What's so essential about it? ) Tremor. As far as I know, I have no side effects. When I first began the medication I started out with a smaller dose and worked up to 250 mgs. I found that I could not take the meds during the day because of sleepiness, dizziness, etc, so my doc suggested that I take it at night. I have been taking it at bedtime since, and it helps to put me to sleep."

Susan Webbing December 10, 2015

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "It seems to have a marginal effect."

Corwin July 4, 2015

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Mysoline (primidone) for Seizures: "No seizures no side effects"

drm562 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 29, 2015

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "Started out 110 days ago@ 1/2 50mg tab at night and morning. I am up to 3 @ morning and 3 @ night. Doc says stay on them until we meet in 10 days. This is not working. Tremors are continuing - some times to an extreme. We need to revisit this prescription. Try something else."

Cozchris October 22, 2014

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "For Essential Tremor. Took me a long time to get used to side effects. Felt scared. Dizzy. Headache. Nausea. Increased heart rate. Anxious. Barely standing because I started too high at 50mg. Need to start very low for me. I finally got better. No shakes. Very pleased. The Neurologist Office kept rescheduling me and I ran out. This second time starting was even more AWFUL. Flu like plus feeling kind of like I was in a total mental fog. Odd. Be cautious is my opinion. I was in misery for 3 days. Unable to function. Finally getting better. Day 5. Should have taken at bed time. Never knew."

CMysteryC October 3, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I have had Essential Tremor for several years. I have been taking propranolol and clonazepam for last several years but have seen a return of tremor lately. My doctor added primidone in last month. I have been having great difficulty adjusting to medicines though. I feel like I'm spinning most of time, seems to cause increase in shakiness as medicine begins to wear off (at least that's my opinion), and has caused an inability to ejaculate. I am currently working on increasing my dosage amounts. I started at 12.5mg with intended dose of 50mg nightly as goal."

the rev (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2014

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I have been working up from a starter dose (12.5 mg) of Primidone to 750 mg over the last six months. Also take a beta blocker (for my heart). My essential tremor Has reduced by 70%. Very manageable now. "

Oregon John November 30, 2013