User Reviews for Primidone

Not Listed / Other

1 review
Summary of Primidone reviews 6.4 62 reviews

Reviews for Primidone

For Benign Essential Tremor: "Horrible!!! I am in the process of getting tested for multiple sclerosis. I took it for the first time last night, 100 mg as prescribed, and woke up feeling so drunk and I don't drink! Garbage!!!"

J (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2018

For Benign Essential Tremor: "Started primodone in September 2017, then I was put on 2 pills Jan 2018 and I got a rash on my face, all over skin burning, rash spots on the bottom of my feet that were red as fire, and my head was itching all time. It has been almost 2 months since stopped and I still don't know if this was primodone that caused it."

Jose (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2018

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I started primidone several years ago at 50mg at night for tremors worked great calmed the tremors down. But I have had to increase it to 300mg a day. I can feed myself, drink from a glass, brush my teeth, shave etc. I personally can't live without it."

Geno (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 15, 2018

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I’m a 71 year old male and developed tremors several years ago. It progressed so that I couldn’t sign my name and my head was wagging. About 18 months ago, my doctor had me try Primidone 50mg at night. I experienced immediate improvement so that I could once again write cursive. Not only did the tremors greatly improve, but the chronic pain in my thrice-broken arm was reduced so I could manage it with occasional Acetaminophen. Previously, I had to take opiates at least once a week to knock back the pain and manage it in between with Acetaminophen. Unfortunately, I started having very vivid, very bad dreams. I started praying about the dreams before going to sleep. Now I have very vivid, very good dreams on Primidone. Now, minimal shakes, minimal aches and pains, and good dreams."

Duncan (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 6, 2018

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I'm getting ready to take 50mg primodone tonight before I go to bed. I've had hand tremors ever since I broke my left arm in 3 places in 3rd grade. I was bullied all through school. Pretty much my whole life. Several years ago I went to the doctor he put me on Inderal that worked for about eight years until I started having stomach problems and the tremors just kept coming back so I quit. Happy that this stuff works really getting tired of being shaky all the time and I don't get out of the house because of the way people look at you they can be very mean"

Sassysue February 25, 2018

For Benign Essential Tremor: "50 mg/day. Helped but after a couple of weeks started to itch in very personal places. Kept taking because itch was preferable to shakes. Then developed vertigo and quit taking it. Vertigo went away. Resumed because vertigo and itching was preferable to shakes. Vertigo and itch subsided after 4 weeks. Shakes somewhat better."

Harry M November 23, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "At age 66, increasingly worrisome central system tremors. Embarrassing to dine in restaurants -- at salad bars a staffer would 'follow' me around putting things back in their proper buckets. My neurologist started me on 1/4 tablet at night, and the next morning, my life had changed. I could type, use the computer mouse and other tasks effortlessly. Over 6 months, dosage was increased and now levelled off at 2 per day. Absolutely NO side effects noted, in fact, quite the opposite."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 3, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "The Neuro Dr started the treatment of my Writers cramp with Propranolol. It didn't help and my heartbeat went faster instead. I was switched to Benzyhexol (Bz). After taking just 2x5mg I'd loose control of my legs. I am 48yrs I was often disoriented after taking Bz. My Writer Cramp condition remained same still. About 3mths ago, my drug was changed to Primidone 125mg twice a day. Worked great I could write legible once again. But after 3/4wks my writing deteriorated. Dose was increase to 250mg twice a day but still no improvement after 45 days of increasing dosage. I had to stop because I was having problem ejaculating. After 10 days, I resumed use yesterday 250mg only @ night. In 24hrs noticed great improvements. My plan is to take 250mg/wk. I'll update in a month."

ooje (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I had very early onset of Essential Tremors. Can remember it as far back as early grade school. It is a progressive disorder and I am now 77 - need I say more. Was about 30 before they put me on Inderal. At about 50 something when I went to a specialist that put me on Primidone. Had to start slow. Have worked it up to the max amount I can take due to my low weight. It does help, but wish I could take more."

Nammy (taken for 10 years or more) October 21, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I grew up playing classical piano and as I got older my hands would shake at every performance. By the time I was a senior in college it was anxiety provoking to play concerts. Then in my mid 20's the tremor starting happening in social situations, picking up glasses, soup is the worst, and even when I was alone. It has very little to do with feeling nervous. I have much empathy for all the comments about people saying "are you nervous?" It is so annoying. I saw a neurologist who started me on Primidone. I tried it for a few months at 50mg BID but it just didn't cut the tremor down enough. I'm a medical student now and I felt like it slowed down my mind. I couldn't think quickly. Propranolol works the best for me 80mg ER."

Mindfulness19 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I have sores in my mouth and I'm frequently hoarse, but it does help control the tremors"

U128 September 1, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "Works like a charm! A little sedating when first starting but it goes away. I can take pictures again!"

Pluferd (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I've recently been diagnosed with Essential tremor so started on primidone (50 mg 2X day) and inderol (20 mg 2X day) for 2 1/2 weeks. Tremors initially subsided, but now they are back today as well as struggling with gait again. My jaw feels like it wants to "lock" or a "stiffness". Looking for a second opinion at this time."

LakeShore62 (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I have had tremors for years using Inderal and it worked. When it was replaced with Propranolol not as good. Up from 10 mg to 80mg & so so. Tried Primidone before with bad results and was not told to continue Propranolol, bad results. Stopped. New doctor who advised using both but starting with half 50mg Primidone at night building up to a whole one. Slight improvement. Now advised to build up to two daily. Had previously had a frozen left shoulder, was put to sleep and manually broken loose. Luckily no side effects but lots of physical therapy before and after.Last few weeks shoulder is trying to freeze again, right shoulder, knee, ankle and neck hurting.After reading comments with same symptoms I'm done."

dollmaker (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "Long term use of this drug caused really bad side effects in my husband. It caused his body to quit producing a natural sodium."

missysmom (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I have had a mild case of benign essential tremor for almost 12 years. My primary care doctor has always associated my shaking with anxiety or hormones, however my neurologist diagnosed it as benign essential tremor. I have been taking Primidone (only 50mg twice a day) for a month now and it seems to have decreased the shaking a bit. However, it makes me extremely tired and I sometimes have an odd dizzy feeling the first hour or so after taking it. I am unsure if it will go away completely, but it definitely has helped so I will continue to take this medication to see if the side effects eventually go away."

23Heather May 12, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I'm a 26 year old female and my tremor started when I was 20. Back and forth to the doctors for 4 years and told it was due to 'anxiety.' 2 years ago they sent me to a neurologist who diagnosed me with a benign essential tremor which worsens when physical. I've been on Primidone for approximately 6 months now and have increased the dosage from 50 mg now a month later 300mg. Tremor comes and goes still but not as bad. My next problem now is a rare side effect of Primidone is a skin rash, my doctors are unable to confirm whether this is due to the medication or whether it is Rosacea, does anyone else have this problem? I have now been advised to decrease my dosage! I cannot win."

Jadeccole April 15, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "Hi Jen.1 I was on primidone @750mg/day. But after a few months I got pain in my arms around the bicep. 8 months later this has turned into two frozen shoulders and other joint stiffness. So please be aware. I have been off primidone for 2 months now and I am still struggling to work around the pain in my shoulder and other joints."

Shaky bones (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I have suffered for years with terrible tremors. Started the medication slowly and now on 750 daily my shakes are still there but not as noticeable. My hands are not to bad, but the shaking of my head is awful nodding "yes". My doctor is debating putting me on a beta blocker, apparently that helps I will take anything at this point. No adverse effects from the Medication. I never realised how many people are suffering from essential tremors it's awful that people assuming you are a nervous person, this affects you in your work and your social life which I avoid completely, apparently surgery will be available in a few years to completely cure it, so the road is definitely brighter Good luck I hope it works for you."

Jen.1 March 29, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "Got Benign Essential Tremor 42 yrs ago. I was 13. Been on primidone 50 mg two in a.m close to 20 years. I just found out it is a barbituate. No wonder I'm sleepy all the time in the morning. Now when I look back I had been vomiting in the beginning. I was even hospitalized for intractable vomiting. Tomorrow I have an abdominal ultrasound because I constantly have GERD and have vomited a lot recently. Meds forever for GERD all sorts of kinds. I have always let an internal medicine doctor prescribe the med. I am going to see a specialist asap. I gave primidone a rating of five because my tremor has never fully stopped it just isn't as noticeable to the public. Occasionally someone will say I am nervous. Then I tell them I have benign essential tremor. Sick of it!"

shake for me girl (taken for 10 years or more) March 9, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "Issues with tremors of the trapezious muscles ( bobble head). Dizziness, nausea within 30 minutes of taking first dose. Currently only medication on my list of "Medications allergic to"."

Roger K (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I am an 86 year old female and have an essential tremor. I had Deep brain stimulation (DBS) surgery in July 2008. My battery isn't working as well as it did in the beginning. I have tried drug after drug to help the tremor. I have been taking tab Primidone 1/2 of 50 mg twice a day for a week. My vision is affected, my legs are like noodles, sooooooooooo, I am going to try 1/2 at night or maybe quit all together. I still drive taking care of business but with the vision problem I don't drive. I took care of my husband with Alzheimer's for 12 years 2003 to 2015, I have written two books documenting the progression of the disease. I am active but the vision stops me from living my life, What should I do?"

Lo-D (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I have what my doctor calls a mild case of benign essential tremors, but when I'm trying to practice or perform with my guitar, or do electronic work with small parts, its become more than annoying. Proprananol works, but as an asthmatic I have to avoid it or I'll wheeze. Doctor gave me a small dose of primadone, 50mg, and told me to cut some pills in half and just use 1/2 for a week or so first). I don't know if I'd get used to this stuff over time, but unless I'm willing to forget about musical performing while I wait, I'm going to have to stop. I find my coordination, speed, concentration, ability to remember song parts and lyrics severely hampered. It does reduce (but not elimate) the tremors, but what good is it if I can't do my work?"

rconstan (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

For Seizures: "I am 62 yrs old since 19 I had 4 seizures and was on Dilantin 500mg/day and Mysoline (primidone) 250mg 3 X/day. Then 2 mths. before I became 62 I had a seizure . The Neurologist took me off Primidone and put me on Topiramate 100mg twice daily. I could feel my change confusion,loss appetite and then 32 days later I had a seizure worse than the one earlier . I went back to him and he took me off topiramate and increased my primidone to 2x250mg primidone twice /day for total of 1000mg primidone along with the original dilantin.I am just starting to feel normal again like I did for the past 43 yrs. with no side affects that I am aware of yet plus it was something that I was taking for years and never noticed any of the side affects listed."

Old Niagara January 8, 2017

For Benign Essential Tremor: "After taking 750mg/day for about 8 months, it felt great not to have my tremor as much. But in the last 3 months I have been getting stiffer and stiffer as the days went on. I have one frozen shoulder confirmed, but my back, neck and other joints were aching too. My GP looked up primidone in his book and said joint stiffness is a side effect. So I have no choice but to reduce my dosage. A week after reducing my tremor is much worse, so I don't know what to do now as I have exhausted all other medication. "

Shaky bones (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2017