User Reviews for Pancrelipase to treat Pancreatic Exocrine Dysfunction

Also known as: Creon, Zenpep, Pancreaze, Viokace Pertzye

Pancrelipase has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 32 ratings for the treatment of Pancreatic Exocrine Dysfunction. 53% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Pancrelipase Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Pancreatic Exocrine Dysfunction.

Reviews for Pancrelipase

Will · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 27, 2020

Creon (pancrelipase): “After Whipple surgery, my GI doc and my oncologist both recommended that I take 75,000 IU of Creon per major meal and 25,000 per snack. It works to control diarrhea, though it's very expensive. But, if I take it with the meal, it causes gas bloating. So, now I'm experimenting with taking it before meals, 30-60 minutes, which seems to work, except that I always have to know exactly when I'll eat next, so I can take pills at the right time in advance. Does anyone else have this bloating problem and if so, how do you deal with it?”

Luis · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 10, 2020

Creon (pancrelipase): “After I got my diagnosis (Adenocarcinoma In the head of the pancreas) by the end of December 2019. My Oncologist recommend me Creon starting in January 2020. Two capsules with meals and 1 capsule with a snack. That’s really help me with my digestion and I’m able to eat again fat and proteins (only Chicken and fish) I don’t eat red meat!!! I had a Wipple surgery in the middle of April 2020. I continued taking my Creon Till now. (August 2020). And it works great. Giving me the chance to enjoy my favorite food at any time every day. My oncologist told me that I have to use Creon for the rest of my life because my Pancreas is not producing enough digestive enzymes due to my health condition and after my Wipple surgery. Now a week ago the Oncologist sent me for another control CTScan and thankful everything in Clear. I Have to continue with my Chemotherapy and with my Creon.”

Di · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2020

Creon (pancrelipase): “I have pancreatic cancer and have been dealing with digestive problems since the diagnosis. I've lost 45# and I haven't been able to eliminate diarrhea in the 2 months of chemo. My potassium has dropped to a point where the drs are considering stopping treatments until I can get blood counts under control. I've been taking the Creon enzymes for 3 days. Total difference. I have an appetite, slept 7 hours straight, less gassiness, no pain and I've gained 2#. I feel great. Absolutely a miracle drug for me as I watched myself waste away.”

Peggy Marshall August 19, 2019

Creon (pancrelipase): “When I first started using this medication, after one day of use my next bowel movement was a long, fully formed with no appearance of undigested food. Extreme urgency gone after about five years of very disruptive diarrhea.”

tacticalmadness1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2019

Creon (pancrelipase): “This medication did absolutely nothing to resolve my EPI disorder (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) even with a recommended increase in dosage. I continued to have frequent explosive diarrhea problems. I have had many medical problems during my 76 yrs of life and recovered but, EPI is the worst medical problem I have ever had. It will not go away.”

Litae · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2020

Creon (pancrelipase): “I've been taking 36,000 units Creon per meal for almost five months now after having the Whipple procedure. Just two weeks ago I started vomiting occasionally and, sorry this sounds so gross, the food upchucked was undigested. Has anyone experienced this problem? I have an appointment scheduled with my doctor, and will find out more then. Just wondering if anyone else experienced delayed side effects, or is it possible I have developed a sensitivity to it. Worked great at first.”

crabtownc · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 29, 2020

Creon (pancrelipase): “I take Creon 25000 (2 with meals, 1 with snacks) because I take Somatulin for NET tumors and it upsets pancreatic function. Originally wasn't impressed, so after 4 months, with my Dr's OK, I suspended it... but the symptoms came back in spades. I'm now more religious about dosage and timing and find it helps immensely (back on it 8 months). Helps with gas, bloating, diarrhea, greasy stools, smell. Not always totally effective, but I haven't restricted what I eat or drink and suppose if I were better at that, I'd have more success. Good luck to others!”

J. R. · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2020

Creon (pancrelipase): “I was diagnosed with Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) after about 3 months of diarrhea. At first the Creon didn't do anything, but eventually the diarrhea slowed and stomach pain decreased. Watching my diet to avoid fatty foods as best I can has also helped. Still have completely loose stool, but not as often as before. I have developed a cough and sore throat along with a raspiness in my voice that continues to get worse. (not good for a singer). I have found no remedies for that and have not been advised of any help. I don't know what I'll do if the pain continues to increase. I can live without singing (not a professional), but the throat pain is really getting bad.”

Grizz April 3, 2021

Creon (pancrelipase): “I am 56 years old with pancreatic cancer. After 3 days of taking Creon I thought I was going to die. Except diarrhea I experienced every side effect on the list. Excruciating abdominal pain, constipation, bloating, headache etc on a scale of 10 my pain was at 10. My husband who is nurse was puzzled and I realized that the only thing I had changed was that medication. I stopped taking it immediately and it took me a week to recover. Not blaming anybody but if it happens to you, stop taking it immediately and talk to your doctor.”

GZKOM · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 21, 2020

Zenpep (pancrelipase): “Like my mother, I have had duodenal ulcer, heart burn, and symptom of EFI and steatorrhea for many years. Otherwise, I don't have pains, and I don't know if I have pancreatitis or CF. Without medicines, I would have 3-5 bowel movements every day, and it is extremely painful when I travel, which I do very often. So I started to take Zenpep, which is very effective without any obvious side effect. When I travel, 3-4 capsules of 20000 Unit (the green capsules) with meal will keep me safe for most of the day. But the worry about the side effect of long period of usage pushs me to find alternative medicine. The luckily, I found that by chance, the non-prescription 3-400 mg of capsules of Nattokinase (3-4 x 2000 FUs) with meal has the same, if not better effect to keep me dry for most of the day. Hope it helps anyone who may need it.”

D · Taken for less than 1 month August 13, 2020

Creon (pancrelipase): “within 2 days I of taking Creon felt horrible doc told me to keep taking them, I went into the worst annaphalactic shock. I'm suprise I didn't die. Now taken OTC not enough lipase my LDL is climbing with BP Im a woman under 100 lbs my BP went tp 196/164”

Lorraine · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 29, 2020

Creon (pancrelipase): ““I have been persevering with Creon on and off for three years now after Whipples surgery. Every time I started it back on me diarrhea was actually worse. This medication did absolutely nothing to help even with increasing in dosage. I continued to have frequent explosive diarrhea problems. I am told to keep taking it and worry that by not taking it it will do more harm.”

Sue English · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 22, 2017

Zenpep (pancrelipase): “I was diagnosed 2 years ago with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. I have had chemo and radiation and I am doing very well. When first diagnosed I was on Creon I had no side effects but wanted something a little less expensive, so my Oncologist suggested I try Zenpep. It works great, as long as I don't forget and skip a dose, when I skip a dose all my symptoms come roaring back, gas, pain, cramps and loose bowls.”

girasole · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2016

Creon (pancrelipase): “I was prescribed Creon for EPI. While on this medication I experienced very little, if any, relief from my symptoms. The side effect were horrendous - headache, hot flashes, coughing, memory issues (straining to remember words) and joint pain in my upper leg and tail bone. Within 24 hours of stopping the medication ALL side effects disappeared.”

Dik Mitchell, age 85 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 20, 2018

Creon (pancrelipase): “Creon is great for my Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI), taken almost three years. Without Creon have explosive diarrhea. But my dosage is tiny compared to many, one 3,000 liapase capsule with all meals or snacks.”

NigelCO · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2016

Creon (pancrelipase): “Side effect's kicked in were worse than my condition. Already take zofran for nausea & vomiting. This drug actually started me vomiting again. If you have depression & anxiety issues & pain issues in joint's, etc... can make it worse & over ride medication. Thank goodness my doctor gave me samples because extremely expensive even with insurance. Do not take if you are allergic or don't take/eat pork ingredient's...I'm not - but is warning I wasn't told about.”

motguy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 5, 2019

Creon (pancrelipase): “Whether it was the medicine or not, I had abdominal pain after taking Creon for 2 months. I cut the dosage back, had more tests run on abdomen, which showed nothing. Have been taking a dosing capsule of 24,000 units with each meal since February and have had no side effects. No more runny stools or frequent trips to the rest room. Have an appointment and lab work later this month.”

Bee · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 19, 2021

Creon (pancrelipase): “I’ve been using Creon on and off for two years and right now I’m up to three 24,000 capsules before each meal but I still have horrible, horrible, horrible cramps and diarrhea. I’m going to my third gastroenterologist tomorrow and hope fully he will have some answers! This is no way to live.”

Sick Tummy March 15, 2016

Creon (pancrelipase): “I had immediate problems when I started taking this medication. Honestly, I thought it was a placebo, because I had all of the symptoms that caused me to take the med in the first place. Definitely did not work for me.”

Cheers · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2021

Creon (pancrelipase): “I'm on day 3. I feel very foggy on this. A little dizzy, unable to focus, it's like I have a bit of tunnel vision. I'm assuming it's the fillers used (In the ingredient list on the professional information for Creon says one of them is PEG, which I avoid). I will not continue taking this. It's likely I'll go back to OTC pancreatic enzymes, I didn't feel like this on them at all but only accepted the script because my copay was less than OTC.”

Christi · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 24, 2021

Creon (pancrelipase): “I was diagnosed with inoperable Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. They started me on 12000 mg Creon, did nothing but make me feel worse. Then the oncologist upped the dosage to 36000 mg, 2 with meal, 1 with snack. Still explosive diarrhea and I had already lost 30 lbs. then the oncologist tripled my dosage and I spent 8 hours on the toilet every day (no exaggeration). I stopped taking it and I’m actually doing better. It’s not worth the sacrifice of my quality of life. Never will I take it again.”

CJ · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 25, 2021

Creon (pancrelipase): “I have been taking 24,000 units of Creon 3x for meals and 1x for snacks for about a year. Initially Creon seem to work without noticeable side effects. Now, I have developed functional dyspepsia including weight loss, bloating, and hard stomach. The dosage was increased however I still am not able to gain weight. I am very disappointed with this medication.”

Brenna · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 28, 2018

“These enzymes dehydrated me so badly and lowered my blood pressure a lot. The price is insane. I've switched to natural digestive enzymes with probiotics and am having fantastic results. I really hated how huge the capsules were. They were very hard to swallow. My monthly dosage now costs me less than 8 dollars (compared to one thousand for zenpep!!!)”

bill shutt December 31, 2016

“After a whipple procedure I need to take these. Now about the finance.... I take 8 of the blue pills daily, 2 at meals ,1 at snacks. cost about $80.00 every day. I'm on medicare w/ part D.coverage. is there a cheaper genetic?”

Ron R · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 9, 2020

Zenpep (pancrelipase): “Using Zenpep has made a significant difference in the way I feel having Pancreatic Exocrine Dysfunction (PED). Without this medication I have a difficult time getting through a day without gastric issues.”