User Reviews for Naphazoline / pheniramine ophthalmic to treat Eye Redness/Itching

Also known as: Naphcon-A, Opcon-A, Eye Allergy Relief, Visine-A, AK-Con-A

Naphazoline / pheniramine ophthalmic has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 32 ratings for the treatment of Eye Redness/Itching. 53% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Naphazoline/pheniramine ophthalmic Rating Summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Eye Redness/Itching.

Reviews for Naphazoline / pheniramine ophthalmic

MaddieBird January 31, 2018

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “There is one issue, as many others here have stated. The bottle is IMPOSSIBLE to open. The instructions on the cap state "Push Down While Turning". Easy enough, right? Wrong. I tried and tried to open it; I asked coworkers and friends to give it their best shot as well- to no avail. 250 pound brutes of men attempted, and failed. After two weeks of slaving to open this contraption, I have found that the best way to open it is to shove the bottle in your mouth (cap side in, bottle side out), bite down hard on the cap, while lightly holding the bottle in your dominant hand. Bite down hard enough to keep the cap stable, and apply pressure with the side of your teeth and mouth to push the cap inwards.With your dominant hand, spin the bottle in a clockwise motion. If you hear the safety ring clicking, you're doing it wrong. Be careful not to squeeze the bottle while turning the cap, as you don't want to squirt eye-drops into your mouth. But don't let your dentist see you doing this! ”

Pink & red lady April 11, 2018

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “My last bottle expired, so I purchase a replacement. I brought it home and needed to use it and unfortunately I couldn't open the bottle. How frustrating it is when all of the adults in the household can't even open a bottle of allergy eyedrops. Ugh!!! I sadly had rubbed my eyes pink as a result.”

Jules June 11, 2019

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “Like many others, I like the medicine when I can get it open. I looked for directions and a youtube video showing how but nothing. It is a good product, but the child-safe package is adult -safe packaging and is impossible to get open and use. I am glad it is not just me that can't get the thing open.”

AZsunLover October 20, 2009

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “Opcon-A relieves my eye soreness and eliminates redness better than any other over-the-counter product (such as Visine) and Pataday (Rx and a bank loan are required, but it causes eye twitching after a few days of use as Pataday instructs). I use Opcon-A once or twice per day only on days that my eyes become tired due to combination of chronic dry eye, possible eye allergy, and lack of sleep. (My eyes are red even on good days except for a while after using Opcon-A.) At age 58 now, no side effects have been observed despite occasional use for many years.”

Does not matter May 1, 2019

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “How to open the bottle in 3 minutes? The instruction as follows: Turn the bottle upside down. Make a small hole on the bottom side. Use an eye dropper to get out the solution. Place the bottle upside down in a small glass, and keep it in your refrigerator. No problem. Done! (PS who designed this, tested this and then manufactured this packaging???)”

Flaygrant September 7, 2008

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “When I first used this, I thought this was a miracle eye drop. My eyes were fully red, bloodshot, and 1 minute after I dropped the medication in my eye, I was shocked to see fast my eyes looked normal.”

Tam · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2020

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “Well, this definitely removes redness. The whites of my eyes were the whitest I've ever seen them. BUT, a little later, my vision started getting blurry. I looked in the mirror and my pupils were so dilated that it made me look awful. Hopefully my pupils get back to normal size and the blurriness goes away. If not, will provide update. Regardless, will never use this product again. Scary!”

wvicechick · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2016

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “I suffer from year round allergies. My eyes itch and water often. I have noticed these drops do help but after a few seconds of applying the drops in my eyes I have a stinging/burning sensation. I would not recommend this to children if this is a common side effect. The pain does subside after a minute or two. I continue to use the drops because they do seem to help. I just have to wait out the initial pain.”

Kink March 1, 2019

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “These drops really help with my allergies. The cap was extremely hard to open. I finally used pliers to open and did not screw the cap down after use. I am a senior and don't need a cap like this but will buy again now that I can get the cap off.”

Anonymous February 23, 2018

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “I love this product. It works great but...getting into it is getting harder & harder. Why is there like a child proof opener on this? I could not open this myself. Had to have someone else do it & it was even hard for them. Come on now, why is it so hard to open? I almost brought it back where I bought it.”

John T · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2020

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “I would let you know how I like it; however the bottle is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to open. This is like a really bad joke they are playing on consumers. Never again will I throw my money away for a product I can’t even get to!!!!! ”

Middle age man · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2013

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “After contracting Lyme disease my immune system became weaker and eye allergy is now a continual issue. Opcon-A has made the difference. My current problem has been going to work in the morning and looking as if I have bloodshot eyes due to drinking alcohol or smoking. There is soap in your eyes feeling when you first apply it, but it quickly goes away.”

C.A. June 29, 2015

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “I am 80 years old. My health is not the best and so I do not get around much any more, I read a lot using paperbacks and a Kindle Fire HD 8.9, I watch some tv and I use my desk top for news and general knowledge and photography.. If my eyes are burning from allergies, I use Opcon-A and it gives me more relief than other drops I have used. For dry eyes, I use Refresh.”

Dovemama · Taken for 10 years or more May 23, 2017

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “Have used Opcon-A seasonally for years due to sever allergies and hay-fever, however the new containers lid has made it difficult for me as a senior citizen to open thus once getting help to open the container I have to set the lid on top which occasionally gets knocked off which runs the risk of contamination of the containers tip. PLEASE bring back the old style lid!!!”

NURSE IN KY · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2021

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “Opened my bottle with a bit of downward pressure no problem, placed drops in eyes...about 10 or less later mouth starting feeling weird, like I had eaten mints, then was tingling and lips started to swell. Heart rate increased. Won't be using these any more !”

rhue May 22, 2009

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “I really liked this product at first. Great for the redness. Lately when using it the eye I use this product in becomes enlarged, impairing my vision for most of the day. I do wear contacts and am on simvastatin (for cholesterol) so this could affect it.”

Jster · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2019

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “To test this product Opcon-A before actually using it, I instilled one drop into my left eye. It caused a bit if discomfort for a few seconds and went away. 20 minutes later when I glanced at myself in the mirror, my left pupil was DILATED so large that I could only see a sliver of my iris. It took hours to go back to normal!”

Southeast Texas · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2020

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “I'm 45 years old this December. First time I have had eye problems. I tried all the allergy medications . Seem to make things worse. Don’t like putting things in my eyes and don’t like taking medicine. After a lot of research and comparing this product is what I ended up with. I’m very impressed. I have low tolerance to any medication. Great product!!”

Anonymous April 29, 2009

“A friend of mine reccommended Naphcon-A to me during allergy season. Since I've started using it, I've reccommended it to everyone I know as well. It is the only product I've used that actually relieves my itchy red eyes instantly! I love it!”

steve a September 8, 2009

“My son recommended this to me. We both have itchy eyes due to various allergies. I bought the product today and my initial results are promising. I will use this 3x per day for the next week and report back the results.”

static81 · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2021

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “I have never had any trouble opening the bottles as other users have. I prefer this over Zatidor and Pataday. The other two do not resolve the itching from my perennial and environmental allergies, and Pataday is quite expensive for a small bottle, even OTC. Opcon-A does sting for a minute or so after putting in the drops, but it’s not bothersome enough for me to discontinue use.”

Rob · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 6, 2021

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “Love this product have used it for years, however I have been experiencing arthritis and the newer cap opening is a very difficult operation. Please do something for us seniors.”

Stupid Bottle April 9, 2020

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “I don't usually write reviews but I HATE THIS BOTTLE! I cannot open it. I still cannot open it. Stupid bottle stupid design. I'm glad I'm not alone. Get another brand.”

MactheKnife · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2020

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “Can't use it because it cannot be opened.”

LOLLYBEE April 13, 2017

Opcon-A (naphazoline / pheniramine): “I can't open this bottle. VERY frustrating! No directions anywhere. THANKs for nothing Bausch and Lomb”