User Reviews for Methergine

Learn more about Methergine.

Methergine Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 129 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Methergine to treat Migraine

"After several preventative and rescue meds failed, my headache specialist prescribed methergine. This medication has saved my life. I suffer from chronic migraine with aura and chronic cluster headaches. They were daily and it got to the point that I was thinking of ending things because the pain was so intense. I took this medication for 14 months and they've been the greatest 14 months of my life. My migraines started when I was 8 years old, I'm 27 now and didn't seem treatment until I was 20. My new doctor is taking me off the methergine because she worries about the risk of fibrosis. I'm terrified to stop taking it. This is truly the greatest medication and I suggest it to every chronic migraine sufferer I meet."

Duéll (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 21, 2016

"I had migraines from when I was about 17 y/o and now I am a Senior. I was started on Cafergot, 2 to start at the beginning of a headache and then one every 1/2 an hour but no more than 6 pills/headache. Then the doctor added a pain pill and later on a Xanax. The combination worked very well but the headache neurologist suggested one medication per day to keep the headaches away. He started me on Bellermine. But it didn't do what he expected. There were some side effects I didn't like. Unfortunately he passed away so I had to find another headache neurologist. In NYC we have lots of doctors to choose from. I found one who listened to my story. At the end of my story he prescribed Methergine. I haven't had a headache since the late 1990s."

1197newbones (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 26, 2016

"I have been on disabity for seven years do to daily migraine. I have tried every med on market and then some. Been to Cleveland Clinic, Houston Headache Clinc and now going to Michigan Headache Clinic. This is the first I have even heard of Methergine. I've been on it 10 days and have felt tremendous relief. I am cautiously optimistic for the first time in a long time. Good luck. This disease is very very difficult to endure. Keep trying. Also try running cost through insurance for two weeks at a time which somehow cut my cost from $650/month to $84/month on AARP Medicare plan."

KKReed February 1, 2015

"Went on Methergine after being in the hospital and several years of changing preventive medicines, with migraines only getting worse and clustering longer. Once on the dose (had to go up 1 pill a day each week) had the best 2 months of my life. Month off - back to horrible. Back on - good month. Then this month have had a 10 day cluster. Doctor says change of weather (to winter), and other issues may be the cause. Not to give up."

Anonymous December 7, 2010

"I have run the gamet of drugs for migraines also. This is the final med that we haven't tried. Finally, I haven't had a migraine since being on it-only on it for 4 weeks. I am being weaned for Topamax and am still on a host of other meds but Topamax gave me serious side effects. I had daily migraines and have clusters in spring and fall. I feel great for the first times is years. Am afraid what is going to happen when I take my "vacation" from the med in 6 months. Ginny"

gaulik April 2, 2010

"I've been suffering from migraines for about 10 years. I've tried topamax, zonegren, savella, muscle relaxants, rescue drugs and now Methergine. I finally feel like I have my life back. I've only had one migraine in 3 months and that migraine wasn't too bad at all. It's wonderful. Methergine is supposed to be taken for a set period of time, then you need time off of it. In rare cases it causes heart/lung problems. I had to have a chest x-ray and an echo before my migraine specialist would prescribe it. I wish migraine researchers would take another look at this drug and refine it to come up with new solutions without any possible side effects. For now, I have my life back and I'm grateful to my migraine doctor - Traci Purath."

Library Lady January 8, 2010