Generic Name: Methylergonovine Tablets (meth il er goe NOE veen)
Brand Name: Methergine
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 1, 2020.
Uses of Methergine:
- It is used to stop or treat bleeding that happens after a birth.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Methergine?
- If you have an allergy to ergonovine, methylergonovine, or any other part of Methergine (methylergonovine tablets).
- If you are allergic to Methergine (methylergonovine tablets); any part of Methergine (methylergonovine tablets); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have high blood pressure.
- If you have toxemia.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take Methergine (methylergonovine tablets) if you are pregnant.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed for at least 12 hours after getting Methergine (methylergonovine tablets).
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with Methergine (methylergonovine tablets), like certain drugs that are used for HIV, infections, or depression. There are many drugs that must not be taken with Methergine (methylergonovine tablets). Your doctor or pharmacist can tell you if you are taking a drug that must not be taken with Methergine (methylergonovine tablets).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Methergine (methylergonovine tablets).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Methergine (methylergonovine tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Methergine?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Methergine (methylergonovine tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Use care if you have risks for heart disease (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, overweight, high blood sugar or diabetes, cigarette smoking, man older than 40 years of age, other family members with early heart disease, woman after change of life). Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may cause high blood pressure.
- If you drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit often, talk with your doctor.
How is this medicine (Methergine) best taken?
Use Methergine (methylergonovine tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not use Methergine (methylergonovine tablets) for more than 1 week unless told to do so by your doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high or low blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
What are some other side effects of Methergine?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Stomach pain.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Methergine?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Methergine (methylergonovine tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Methergine (methylergonovine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 8 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: uterotonic agents
- Methergine oral and injection
- Methergine (Methylergonovine Injection)
- Methergine (Advanced Reading)
- Methergine Injection (Advanced Reading)