User Reviews for Lactulose to treat Hepatic Encephalopathy

Also known as: Cholac, Kristalose, Enulose Generlac Constilac

Reviews for Lactulose

CBEAR · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 15, 2019

“I started out on Lactulose when I found out I had Cirrhosis. That medicine tasted awful and I had to take it 3 times a day! I mixed it with everything under the sun but no relief from that nasty stuff. After taking it for months ( I had to take it) I asked my Gastrologist if there was ANYTHING else that I could take, he prescribed XIFAXAN which does the same thing. WISH I KNEW THAT BEFORE! LOL It comes as a tablet and is so easy to take. The only downside is that it’s very expensive. I don’t know if this will help anyone else, but it was A LOT better than taking that nasty liquid.”

Old Phil December 3, 2017

“My wife started getting dehydrated at the beginning of this year and I repeatedly took her to the urgent care for rehydration. Her symptoms would go away but come back three weeks later. During a hospital stay in Aug 2017,my wife was given Reglan in her IV to treat nausea with disastrous results. She immediately forgot where she was,who I was or that she was in the hospital.m This lasted 24 hours but the incident left her with profound hallucinations for about three weeks. She got dehydrated again-got over medicated on hyperidol and then got a blood test that pinged on ammonia. It all fits. The Reglan damaged my wife’s already overworked liver and shes been dying of ammonia poisoning ever since . Lactulose may be a Godsend. We hope so.”

kmo · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2015

Generlac (lactulose): “Initial symptoms included brain fog, disorientation, and confusion. I took the lactulose for one week... all symptoms disappeared. However, I must advise you to stay close to the bathroom. Also, I should note that my physician said that I may be taking this medication for the rest of my life and I'm only 47 years old.”

stenforce February 13, 2012

“Very effective! Usually starts to work for me within two hours and continues to work for hours. Stay close to a bathroom. It decreased blood ammonia level and cleared up the cloudy head in just a couple of days. Stress staying close to a bathroom!”

Anonymous September 29, 2008

Enulose (lactulose): “Enulose has been very efficient in making regular bowel movements. ”

Learn more about Hepatic Encephalopathy

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)