User Reviews for Lactulose to treat Constipation, Chronic

Also known as: Cholac, Kristalose, Enulose Generlac Constilac

Lactulose Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Constipation, Chronic.

Reviews for Lactulose

Another contipation patient · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2020

“Haha I am so laughing you guys are funny. So mine is chronic for almost a year, after it started in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy. Its never been an issue my whole life, I'm almost 40. I have tried everything you can think of. It works and then just suddenly stop working. Which most of the stuff give such bad cramps. So I thought to try Lactulose. Well its been day 3 with 15ml morning and 15ml night. I went twice which is so little and feeling its not enough. Earlier I took 40ml and the gas, its just gas ”

MiMi August 23, 2020

“I have a muscle contraction condition that won't allow me to go. I poured a load of lactulose in orange juice and 20 minutes later I barely made it to the toilet for my blow out. If you eat or drink anything you'll blow every time. It takes an entire day to get back to normal. The gas would've set my house on fire is I didn't have an electric stove. I took about 3 tablespoons and it was worth the relief I felt.”

Nevermore · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2020

“I took lactulose while on vacation with another couple. My usual problem happened so I took half dose when we got home. We proceeded to play cards. In about an hour I ran to bathroom barely making it. Then again, not making it. Long story short, I ran out of clean underwear and also used most of my underwear during that evening. Next day I utilized the washer and have never taken lactulose again. I'll just stick with the occasional laxative and live with my problem.”

Kbblue · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2020

“After reading others comments on their experience with lactulose, frankly I'm jealous. I was prescribed this for "moderate constipation" which left me in such bad pain that I went to the ER. I've been taking 15ML per day for 3 days. And.... Not a burp, not a fart, absolutely nothing. The day after my first dose I got "the poo cramps" and gleefully raced to a toilet only to be left disappointed and still full of you know what.”

kmvyas84 · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2020

“Doctor prescribed 15ml 2x/day Started today 10:50; I had a normal BM at 2:30 First after many years Then I took it again at 5:00; no luck I have multiple sclerosis since 2005 & ibs-c This took away my pain one time and I hope it does in the future.”

Hope · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

“have been taking Lactulose 4 times a day, still no urge to go even started on natural laxative and fiber in my coffee”

Jaws · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 7, 2020

“This drug is a miracle worker, as I have MS and slow digestive transit as a result my stools dry out and I have can’t go for 7-8 day’s... as a result. Taking only 25ml of lactose ever second day does the trick, no bloating, no pain just regular movements that are normal to pass. Side effect for me is, yes, wind normally 4-8 only hours 6 hours after taking dose, but 4 hours wind Is a small price to pay. It is very sweet, sweeter than sugar, but actual like it, I must have a very sweet tooth. It’s in no way unpleasant to take just sweet.”

Vaana · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

“I have suffered from terrible constipation my whole life ... I'm 61 now. I eats tons of vegetables, drink lots of water and have tried Fybogel and other bulking agents. Nothing worked! 3 weeks ago I had an operation and was advised to take Lactulose to avoid straining my wound. Well... what a transformation. Since then I take 30mls per day and have a perfect bowel movement daily. I only wish I had discovered lactulose earlier in my life. I'm lucky in that I actually enjoy the sweet syrup and I suffer very little wind at all. Everyone's different but I would definitely say it's worth a try.”

Dawn · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2019

“Having had a hysterectomy, was told I was not to strain when needing to poo. Having had a dose after trying other methods ie drinking more water extra fibre other laxative, finally relief. When at home, I purchased Lactulose over the chemist counter, WOW, one dose a day, no more constipation, very content with this product, I can’t recommend it more higher ”

Anonymous September 25, 2019

“I tried everything, metamucil, colace, dulcolax, magnesium supplements, miralax 3 days. Don't mess around with these just get a prescription for lactulose.... done!”

What a relief! September 15, 2019

“I had to see the dr eventually due to having an anal fissure, a very painful thing to have. I was finding it hard to get any sleep with out pain. My dr suggested to take lactulose brand called Actilax. I haven't ever taken laxatives. My first dose was after I purchased it lunch time and then evening The next day at lunch time I had a soft bowel motion twice. Two days later I took it once a day, no more pain going or blood. I suggest not diluting yes it is a thick syrup with odd taste! But drink lots of water during the day. Side effects wind! Didn't come with the special dosage cup Lower the dosage on the third day I'm so surprised I have no more bleeding which I had had for weeks.”

Kate · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2019

“I passed gas and a bit of abdominal discomfort the 1st time I took this med, but the side effect of the 2nd time is worse. Although defecation occurred one hour after I took the med at 10mL dose only, I experienced painful bowel cramping last for hours into early morning.”

Is this normal? August 16, 2019

“My daughter was constipated for 3 weeks. After two hospitals, one prescribed Lactulose. 45 ml three times a day. It’s been 5 days and all that has happened is diarrhea. Is that normal?? Is that the stool that has liquified?”

SmolBean · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2019

“I have inflammatory bowel syndrome that sometimes causes me not to have bowel movements for weeks, my primary care doctor prescribed this to me for my IBS. I take 15ml of this twice a day, it says it's supposed to take 48 hours to work but it CERTAINLY doesn't take that long for me. It tastes HORRIBLE on its own but I mix it in with pink lemonade and I can't taste a thing.”

Randall · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2019

“Recommended by my primary care doctor after two gastoenterologists struck out for years. Works very well. Some people dislike the sweet taste but you can camouflage it in it in orange juice or real cranberry juice.”

Puddin · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2019

Generlac (lactulose): “I’ve been struggling to have a bowel motion for years. I am on a high dose of OcyContin and OxCodone daily due to pancreatic cancer and so have what they call Opioid induced constipation. I was going two weeks without having a bowel motion then my doctor started me on Generlac and it works wonderfully. I took 30ml for first dose and 24 hours later I was on the toilet. I take 15ml daily to keep me going. No cramping or diarrhea....just a little gas.”

Em · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2019

“I had surgery on my stomach and was severely constipated after it was agony to go, I was prescribed lactulose but it’s far too sweet and syrupy I gagged every time I tried to take it even when I mixed it with other liquids. Even the thought of taking it made me gag, and it didn’t help at all when I needed to use the bathroom I used it for about a week and still couldn’t go without being in agony. I switched to dulcoease capsules and they worked the same day!”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 8, 2019

“I'm on lactulose 15-30ml for almost two years. I've had constipation my entire life. Until I was four I thought it was normal. I've bounced from specialist to specialist. Nobody can give me a diagnosis, but all I knew was the feces buildup was releasing toxins into my body and it was just unhealthy. An xray of my torso showed that the buildup was literally putting pressure on my lungs and it had impacted my breathing. Specialists gave me one of two options: laxatives or surgery. So, I tried countless laxatives, diets, exercise regimens. The only thing that's helped so far in my 15 years of life is sennas and enemas, both of which are extremely painful and give me awful diarrhea. Until lactulose. It's helped tremendously, and I can have natural movements. The only uncomfortable thing is all the flatulence, but that's better than curling up into a ball in pain.”

Rivreys · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2019

“I've been taking it for about 2 weeks twice a day. Indeed it causes some very funny noises in my tummy, which my kids find hilarious. I definitely have the passing gas issues as well. Although my kids seem to have some giggles, I find it a bit embarrassing. It does work wonders for my issues, as it works within a few hours of taking it.”

Emmjae · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 12, 2018

“I have been using lactulose for chronic constipation for three years. It is very effective. I now find that the sweet taste is making me gag and/or vomit. There are times when just looking at the bottle invokes the nausea. I have mixed in other liquid so I can't taste it, however I can't take it anymore. Any wise ideas?”

momyshaver · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2018

“This worked very quickly and effectively with no side effects for my 3 year old daughter who is limited in her diet and gastrostomy tube (gtube) dependent. We are incredibly grateful.”

Chris · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2018

“It doesn't work for relieving constipation and causes severe cramping. I suffer from IBS and medication did not work at all. I would not recommend it if you have any bowel disease.”

CM · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 8, 2018

“Doctor prescribed 3x/day. It worked and still works wonderfully after 7 years. But, 3x/day was too much. I decided nightly before bed and it works GREAT. Sometimes I have to take a double dose, but I'll tell you, this medicine is a dream come true for me as when I am not going (I have Irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS‑C)) I get sick as a dog, nausea, cramping, lightheaded and more. Don't be afraid to experiment in the beginning to find the right dose and dosing schedule for you.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2018

Generlac (lactulose): “I've been having constipation problems for awhile now. I tried linzess and it worked just a few times, like 2 or 3, so I went back to the Dr and got Generlac. I took it on a Friday at 4 pm and the next morning it worked. I'm so relieved. So I'm going to continue taking it everyday and I'm hoping it keeps working.”

Anonymous March 14, 2018

“I’m 17 weeks pregnant and have been struggling even before I found out I was pregnant to empty my bowels. Before I fell pregnant it was normal for me to poo once a week. I can’t even remember when I had my last bowel movement it was over a week ago and very small. I rushed to the pharmacy today to get something as my stomach feels bloated and painful. I took 45mls and within half an hour I started feeling sick and an hour after that I started cramping. 3 hours later I’m shooting to the toilet before I end up having an accident. What started off as a normal stool turned into explosive diarrhoea. But I guess with 7+ days of waste in me it was going to be a bit of a mess. So glad I took this however I wouldnt recommend taking before work/going out etc as it can be unpredictable as to when it will take effect. Also the wind is a bit embarrassing so better to be in the comfort of your own home. I would recommend.”