User Reviews for Lactulose to treat Constipation, Acute

Also known as: Cholac, Kristalose, Enulose Generlac Constilac

Lactulose Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Constipation, Acute.

Reviews for Lactulose

Cazzy67 · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2020

“If you are at all sensitive to sugars, beware. What it was supposed to help, just made it 1000x worse. When I actually looked it up, I figured out why I was suffering. Was not a fun night, my poor dog lol”

Lillylilo1 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 2, 2020

“Try different ways of taking this medicine lactulose. For me, taking it the way the label said just didn’t do anything. It caused major and very embarrassing gas. Honestly don’t leave the house the day you begin this dosing. What I found was it hindered my sleep because of the gas, a lot of tummy rumbling, luckily was sleeping alone that night. Don’t underestimate the frequency of the gas either, constant. I think try out different ways. I take 1 entire capful, and that usually does the trick. Just don’t make any plans for that day.”

Axaandiemaya May 29, 2020

“I started to take this the way it says on the label, 15ML twice a day. It did nothing for me other than cause terrible, vile flatulence. The smell was like a sewer, and zero relief. Annoyed after about 3 days, I decided to take more. So I took 60ML in one. Within 2 hours, I had had a bowel movement. In the end all that came out was liquid. There seemed to be less flatulence also. I find it’s sort of unpredictable when you take it day and night, you may or may not have a movement the next day. Or you might, and it might not be satisfactory (could be very small, still feel like you need to go after) which is very almost upsetting really when you know what it’s like to suffer so much from constipation. The flatulence ends if you take it for a few days it’s as though ur body needs time to get used to it. If you’re going to use this, use it on a day when you don’t need to be anywhere or meet anyone! Take the 60ML and take it with a warm drink to help it along.”

OmgGirl · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2020

“So... I have having trouble passing through a bowel motion as currently there is a tear. Anyway. I would hurt when I was trying. So I was quite scared to go to the toilet knowing it was going to hurt. My partner has lactose which was for himself Previously. So I took the recommendation dose.. a couple hours passed and I was delayed they fact I needed to go to the loo. So I took another dose.. OMG... DO NOT TAKE ANOTHER DOSE 2 HOURS AFTER.. I was farting. Burping. Farting. Left right and centre. Stinking the place out. I was ready to go to bed when the trapped wind came along. So I ran to the toilet and that’s when all-hell broke loose.. OMG. I’ve never been that bad ever. It’s really gross and I wouldn’t want anyone to go through that. My partner came through to see if I was ok and funny enough he’s making a joke out of it but trust me DO NOT TAKE MORE IN 2 HOURS, you’re toilet will hate you.. I’m ok now it does it’s job if that’s what you were looking for”

Joesyjo28 February 6, 2020

“I was prescribed lactulose for constant bloating and constipation but the taste is disgusting and taste so overly SWEET! ( like drinking syrup ) but apart from that I find that it doesn't works as well at all, unlike the sodium picosulphate it works instantly after 7hrs. This laxative isn't as effective at all apart from it causes excessive WIND and they smell so bad to the point it's too disgusting to bare. Plus I can't tell when it's a fart or a poo neither it's scary to expel it incase I poo myself :/ TMI I know but it's TRUE! I don't think it's as good for constipation but good for wind but it also has not helped with bloating as I still wake up bloated and have it all day and night :(”

Stevens · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2020

“I occasionally use this lactulose for severe constipation most often caused by drugs. I don't find it works straight away. I have lymphocytic colitis and ibsd so my gut is very sensitive. Yes, lactulose is effective but very quickly the frequent farts become smellly and toxic. I stay away from people because of it. Over a few days farts start to expel little bits of poo and I soil my pants. I become too frightened to fart when out. I also can't tell the difference between a fart or a poo so I have to go to the loo every time just incase. Bit of a nuisance when it turns out to be just a fart. For those without lymphocytic colitis and ibsd its probably fine. Don't be put off by my experience.”

Anu · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2019

Duphalac (lactulose): “I used this Duphalac syrup but I can say that its the worst medicine have seen ever in my life and has not even a single percent of laxative effect, in fact it had opposite effect to this it will even increase hardness of stool. If I would had an option to rate this medicine I would have rated it in negative. Such a waste company and product. I would request to don’t buy this medicine any chance. Rating: -10 the worst”

Tammy · Taken for less than 1 month September 8, 2019

“I had much antibiotics resulting in Constipation . I took this lactulose liquid for 3 days and the stools became soft. Very effective, works well!”

Baldie August 1, 2019

“I am a middle-aged woman. I’ve had constipation issues since I can remember. I’ve become used to going twice a week. But chemo for cancer treatment recently put me over the one-week mark and I was in agony when prescribed stool softeners and every other OTC thing I threw at it did nothing. This drug lactulose worked. Took a 15ml dose (3 tsp with a nice little syringe measure that came with) then repeated two hours later with a big drink of water and bowels moved several times shortly after second dose. It made my stomach rumble and gave me diarrhea, but it was worth it. (Stay home and close to a toilet.) I Dialled back the dose and then stopped altogether for now but it was the kickstart I needed. It’s a relief to know it’s in the arsenal. It is kind of thick and very sweet, but that was not a dealbreaker for me. (May be mixed into food or drink, but I just quickly drank it straight.) Highly recommend for those struggling.”

Paul · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2019

“I have an anal fissure which is very painful if my stool is hard. Each time I go to the toilet the fissure can reopen and the healing process has to start again. Taking lactose has soften my stool so giving my anal fissure time to heal. I take 15ml once a day before bed with a cup of water. Certainly makes life in the morning a lot less painful.”

AFCR&D · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 27, 2018

“My Dr prescribed a bottle of this 45ml twice a day. Had very little effect me, just a few tummy rumbles. Dr then decided I was partially impacted and prescribed Movicol 3 times daily. Did clear the impaction after 8 days. Now use Lactulose 30ml twice daily after my IBS diagnosis. Keeps me reasonably regular.”

Shitbags · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2018

“I had constipation as a side effect of the codcomol I was taking. I was sore and I’m a big dude stomach was solid all the way to the bottom of my ribs I drank two mouthfuls of this stuff and had the best clear out ever must of been an hour on the loo over a three hour period”

Rr123 December 10, 2017

“Bottle is almost impossible to open. Who knows if it's effective or not. I suggest get pharmacist to open it for you before you leave the store”

VerstopfteVerlobte December 5, 2017

“This worked after 48 hours. The label said that it could take up to 48 hours, but most of the other reviews said that it worked much faster, so when it didn't work quickly for me, I began to lose hope. Thankfully, it worked, pretty much exactly after 48 hours. I'm in my second trimester, and hadn't done a poo for 4 days, and the last time had been very painful. I'd felt incredibly bloated and uncomfortable, and hunched over when I walked, and couldn't get comfortable to sleep. When I first went again after 48 hours, it wasn't easy, but it wasn't really painful either. I stirred the medicine into large glasses of water to help me drink enough fluids, and also to dilute the excessively sweet taste.”

3 weks Constipated August 27, 2017

“Lactulose does not work at all. I got it in the ER and was told to go home and continue taking it. I finished the whole big bottle days ago and still nothing. Before the lactulose I tried all the over the counter pills, psylium husk, fleet enemas, suppositories, magnesium citrate etc for 2 weeks. It's now approaching 3 weeks and still nothing. At least the mag citrate made me gassy and I felt belly rumblings like there was something trying to happen on but with lactulose no gas, bloating, nothing happening at all.”

bpmonster1 July 25, 2017

“If you don't mind the overwhelming feeling of urgency and flatulence, you can take 5 tablespoons of lactulose along with a bowl of bran cereal for breakfast. No matter how hard they try, most people won't be able to hold back the results after 4 hours.”

Irene 66 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2017

“I've been taking iron off and on for the last 5 months my red blood cell count is too low they can't get it to stay up ? But I've been getting constipated 9 days without a poo the lactulose is great within a few hours I was at the toilet ,its gentle”

Atal Bihari · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 25, 2017

“I have been taking Duphalac for past 2 year and was while satisfied with its results. But sincere past 4 Months have been taking problem of Excessive Water Retention & Bloating in Abdomen. Water Retention was such that my Stomach used to get swollen and hence had loss of appetite. Because of Inflated Abdomen used to feel chest pain along with dry Coughing. It was really a miserable feeling as had lost 5kgs weight because of not having proper meals. Finally had to stop Duphalac & within a 3-4 days time water Retention, Bloating etc had stopped. It's my advise to people facing similar problem to stop Duphalac Immediately & switch to some other Laxative after consulting the Doctor.”

kjames4892992u3 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 10, 2016

“I suffered from iron deficiency and i was put on iron tablets. With these they cause constipation so my doctor also prescribed lactulose. It works really well and it give you alot of gas and a bowel movement within eight hours of taking the medicine.”

Lisa m Johnston July 13, 2016

“I was prescribed this only a few days ago because I generally only pass a bowel motion about once a week. My dosage is 20mls per day and I initially didn't think it was working but it has most definitely kicked in now! I've had heaps of flatulence since first taking it and now, 2hrs after my 3rd dose, I feel about 5 kilos lighter. Im so glad that I am not at work because the smell of this first visit to the bathroom is absolutely revolting....(sorry for over sharing). It tastes sickly sweet but I'm getting used to it. I think this product will actually change my life for the better. PS. I'm in New Zealand where a lot of medication is funded by the government.”

Anonymous May 5, 2016

“So I've been constipated for about 4 days and I've tried everything. I went from eating more fibers to trying to force it out. I told my parents my mom who was clueless on what to do told my dad and he gave me lactulose. It took about 4 hours to kick in and it did not hurt at all to poop and it was just so amazing getting it all out. My stomach did feel uncomfortable before I pooped but it really does go away. I stayed near the bathroom for about an hour but I guess it depends”

Volpi November 12, 2015

“Lactulose promotes a soft bowel movement without cramping, nausea or valsalvo effects.”

Lighter and free · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2015

“So I am a new nurse but have overcome a lot of health problems. Due to wearing a girdle to support my large hernia and lack of water from rushing around the ER, I became suddenly constipated. For three weeks it was wait until my days off and stay in the bathroom in agony. So I went to my doctor and they gave me this, it was actually sweet! I took a shower and by the time I was done so was my problem! I am amazed and my IBS even seems to be calming down!”

just a person · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2015

“Helps you a whole lot! Except you could get sore on the underside and stay extremely close to the toilet.”

Gord, Vancouver · Taken for less than 1 month July 4, 2013

“Not going for two days due to travelling and interrupted routine can really be a problem but two large glasses of water with one tablespoon each produces positive results within 30 min. every time. Just keep close to a bathroom for 2-3 hrs.”