User Reviews for Lactulose (Page 3)

Also known as: Cholac, Kristalose, Enulose Generlac Constilac

Constipation, Chronic 8.2
Constipation, Acute 7.5
Hepatic Encephalopathy 7.3
Summary of Lactulose reviews 7.9 84 reviews

Reviews for Lactulose

Em · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “I had surgery on my stomach and was severely constipated after it was agony to go, I was prescribed lactulose but it’s far too sweet and syrupy I gagged every time I tried to take it even when I mixed it with other liquids. Even the thought of taking it made me gag, and it didn’t help at all when I needed to use the bathroom I used it for about a week and still couldn’t go without being in agony. I switched to dulcoease capsules and they worked the same day!”

What a relief! September 15, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “I had to see the dr eventually due to having an anal fissure, a very painful thing to have. I was finding it hard to get any sleep with out pain. My dr suggested to take lactulose brand called Actilax. I haven't ever taken laxatives. My first dose was after I purchased it lunch time and then evening The next day at lunch time I had a soft bowel motion twice. Two days later I took it once a day, no more pain going or blood. I suggest not diluting yes it is a thick syrup with odd taste! But drink lots of water during the day. Side effects wind! Didn't come with the special dosage cup Lower the dosage on the third day I'm so surprised I have no more bleeding which I had had for weeks.”

bpmonster1 July 25, 2017

For Constipation, Acute: “If you don't mind the overwhelming feeling of urgency and flatulence, you can take 5 tablespoons of lactulose along with a bowl of bran cereal for breakfast. No matter how hard they try, most people won't be able to hold back the results after 4 hours.”

jenpet · Taken for less than 1 month September 25, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: “I have been taking Lactulose for 6 days now & it hasn't done a thing! I paid over £5 for it in Tesco Pharmacy it is half that price on line!!!! No matter what the price, it doesn't work!”

VerstopfteVerlobte December 5, 2017

For Constipation, Acute: “This worked after 48 hours. The label said that it could take up to 48 hours, but most of the other reviews said that it worked much faster, so when it didn't work quickly for me, I began to lose hope. Thankfully, it worked, pretty much exactly after 48 hours. I'm in my second trimester, and hadn't done a poo for 4 days, and the last time had been very painful. I'd felt incredibly bloated and uncomfortable, and hunched over when I walked, and couldn't get comfortable to sleep. When I first went again after 48 hours, it wasn't easy, but it wasn't really painful either. I stirred the medicine into large glasses of water to help me drink enough fluids, and also to dilute the excessively sweet taste.”

momyshaver · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic: “This worked very quickly and effectively with no side effects for my 3 year old daughter who is limited in her diet and gastrostomy tube (gtube) dependent. We are incredibly grateful.”

Dawn · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “Having had a hysterectomy, was told I was not to strain when needing to poo. Having had a dose after trying other methods ie drinking more water extra fibre other laxative, finally relief. When at home, I purchased Lactulose over the chemist counter, WOW, one dose a day, no more constipation, very content with this product, I can’t recommend it more higher ”

Rivreys · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “I've been taking it for about 2 weeks twice a day. Indeed it causes some very funny noises in my tummy, which my kids find hilarious. I definitely have the passing gas issues as well. Although my kids seem to have some giggles, I find it a bit embarrassing. It does work wonders for my issues, as it works within a few hours of taking it.”

kjames4892992u3 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 10, 2016

For Constipation, Acute: “I suffered from iron deficiency and i was put on iron tablets. With these they cause constipation so my doctor also prescribed lactulose. It works really well and it give you alot of gas and a bowel movement within eight hours of taking the medicine.”

Paul · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2019

For Constipation, Acute: “I have an anal fissure which is very painful if my stool is hard. Each time I go to the toilet the fissure can reopen and the healing process has to start again. Taking lactose has soften my stool so giving my anal fissure time to heal. I take 15ml once a day before bed with a cup of water. Certainly makes life in the morning a lot less painful.”

AFCR&D · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 27, 2018

For Constipation, Acute: “My Dr prescribed a bottle of this 45ml twice a day. Had very little effect me, just a few tummy rumbles. Dr then decided I was partially impacted and prescribed Movicol 3 times daily. Did clear the impaction after 8 days. Now use Lactulose 30ml twice daily after my IBS diagnosis. Keeps me reasonably regular.”

Shitbags · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2018

For Constipation, Acute: “I had constipation as a side effect of the codcomol I was taking. I was sore and I’m a big dude stomach was solid all the way to the bottom of my ribs I drank two mouthfuls of this stuff and had the best clear out ever must of been an hour on the loo over a three hour period”

CBEAR · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 15, 2019

For Hepatic Encephalopathy: “I started out on Lactulose when I found out I had Cirrhosis. That medicine tasted awful and I had to take it 3 times a day! I mixed it with everything under the sun but no relief from that nasty stuff. After taking it for months ( I had to take it) I asked my Gastrologist if there was ANYTHING else that I could take, he prescribed XIFAXAN which does the same thing. WISH I KNEW THAT BEFORE! LOL It comes as a tablet and is so easy to take. The only downside is that it’s very expensive. I don’t know if this will help anyone else, but it was A LOT better than taking that nasty liquid.”

Emmjae · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 12, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic: “I have been using lactulose for chronic constipation for three years. It is very effective. I now find that the sweet taste is making me gag and/or vomit. There are times when just looking at the bottle invokes the nausea. I have mixed in other liquid so I can't taste it, however I can't take it anymore. Any wise ideas?”

Ishiort March 4, 2014

Enulose (lactulose): “Headache, flatulence”

Jaws · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 7, 2020

For Constipation, Chronic: “This drug is a miracle worker, as I have MS and slow digestive transit as a result my stools dry out and I have can’t go for 7-8 day’s... as a result. Taking only 25ml of lactose ever second day does the trick, no bloating, no pain just regular movements that are normal to pass. Side effect for me is, yes, wind normally 4-8 only hours 6 hours after taking dose, but 4 hours wind Is a small price to pay. It is very sweet, sweeter than sugar, but actual like it, I must have a very sweet tooth. It’s in no way unpleasant to take just sweet.”

Esprazole · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 20, 2017

For Constipation, Chronic: “I have a motility problem after some of my bowel was cut out after diverticulitis. Then 2 Hernia's repaired. I have no sense of needing to go to toilet at all. I have to take either Lactulose or Magnesium sulphate to empty my bowel twice a week. I prefer Lactulose, it's easier on my bowel it doesn't make my bowel as sore as magnesium. I take 60ml of lactulose single dose twice a week. Sure there is some flatulence but it works fine.”

Tammy · Taken for less than 1 month September 8, 2019

For Constipation, Acute: “I had much antibiotics resulting in Constipation . I took this lactulose liquid for 3 days and the stools became soft. Very effective, works well!”

Chris · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic: “It doesn't work for relieving constipation and causes severe cramping. I suffer from IBS and medication did not work at all. I would not recommend it if you have any bowel disease.”

Hope · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

For Constipation, Chronic: “have been taking Lactulose 4 times a day, still no urge to go even started on natural laxative and fiber in my coffee”

Anu · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2019

Duphalac (lactulose) for Constipation, Acute: “I used this Duphalac syrup but I can say that its the worst medicine have seen ever in my life and has not even a single percent of laxative effect, in fact it had opposite effect to this it will even increase hardness of stool. If I would had an option to rate this medicine I would have rated it in negative. Such a waste company and product. I would request to don’t buy this medicine any chance. Rating: -10 the worst”

3 weks Constipated August 27, 2017

For Constipation, Acute: “Lactulose does not work at all. I got it in the ER and was told to go home and continue taking it. I finished the whole big bottle days ago and still nothing. Before the lactulose I tried all the over the counter pills, psylium husk, fleet enemas, suppositories, magnesium citrate etc for 2 weeks. It's now approaching 3 weeks and still nothing. At least the mag citrate made me gassy and I felt belly rumblings like there was something trying to happen on but with lactulose no gas, bloating, nothing happening at all.”

OmgGirl · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2020

For Constipation, Acute: “So... I have having trouble passing through a bowel motion as currently there is a tear. Anyway. I would hurt when I was trying. So I was quite scared to go to the toilet knowing it was going to hurt. My partner has lactose which was for himself Previously. So I took the recommendation dose.. a couple hours passed and I was delayed they fact I needed to go to the loo. So I took another dose.. OMG... DO NOT TAKE ANOTHER DOSE 2 HOURS AFTER.. I was farting. Burping. Farting. Left right and centre. Stinking the place out. I was ready to go to bed when the trapped wind came along. So I ran to the toilet and that’s when all-hell broke loose.. OMG. I’ve never been that bad ever. It’s really gross and I wouldn’t want anyone to go through that. My partner came through to see if I was ok and funny enough he’s making a joke out of it but trust me DO NOT TAKE MORE IN 2 HOURS, you’re toilet will hate you.. I’m ok now it does it’s job if that’s what you were looking for”

Kate · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “I passed gas and a bit of abdominal discomfort the 1st time I took this med, but the side effect of the 2nd time is worse. Although defecation occurred one hour after I took the med at 10mL dose only, I experienced painful bowel cramping last for hours into early morning.”

Lillylilo1 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 2, 2020

For Constipation, Acute: “Try different ways of taking this medicine lactulose. For me, taking it the way the label said just didn’t do anything. It caused major and very embarrassing gas. Honestly don’t leave the house the day you begin this dosing. What I found was it hindered my sleep because of the gas, a lot of tummy rumbling, luckily was sleeping alone that night. Don’t underestimate the frequency of the gas either, constant. I think try out different ways. I take 1 entire capful, and that usually does the trick. Just don’t make any plans for that day.”