User Reviews for Lactulose (Page 2)

Also known as: Cholac, Kristalose, Enulose Generlac Constilac

Constipation, Chronic 8.2
Constipation, Acute 7.5
Hepatic Encephalopathy 7.3
Summary of Lactulose reviews 7.9 84 reviews

Reviews for Lactulose

CM · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 8, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic: “Doctor prescribed 3x/day. It worked and still works wonderfully after 7 years. But, 3x/day was too much. I decided nightly before bed and it works GREAT. Sometimes I have to take a double dose, but I'll tell you, this medicine is a dream come true for me as when I am not going (I have Irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS‑C)) I get sick as a dog, nausea, cramping, lightheaded and more. Don't be afraid to experiment in the beginning to find the right dose and dosing schedule for you.”

Anonymous May 5, 2016

For Constipation, Acute: “So I've been constipated for about 4 days and I've tried everything. I went from eating more fibers to trying to force it out. I told my parents my mom who was clueless on what to do told my dad and he gave me lactulose. It took about 4 hours to kick in and it did not hurt at all to poop and it was just so amazing getting it all out. My stomach did feel uncomfortable before I pooped but it really does go away. I stayed near the bathroom for about an hour but I guess it depends”

Teekee · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2017

For Constipation, Chronic: “My doctor put me on constulose after years of me using over the counter medicine for chronic constipation. I had 3 ERCP's, a tube down my nose to drain fluid trapped in my stomach. Lots of hospital stays and the pain from not having a bowel movement is torture! I would go two weeks without having a bowel movement. I've tried senna, stool softener's, milk of magnesia & more. Finally my doctor wrote for constulose 15 milliliters and warned me to only take it for emergencies. I go to bathroom every 3 days or less now. Best medicine so far!”

Anonymous September 25, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “I tried everything, metamucil, colace, dulcolax, magnesium supplements, miralax 3 days. Don't mess around with these just get a prescription for lactulose.... done!”

Lisa m Johnston July 13, 2016

For Constipation, Acute: “I was prescribed this only a few days ago because I generally only pass a bowel motion about once a week. My dosage is 20mls per day and I initially didn't think it was working but it has most definitely kicked in now! I've had heaps of flatulence since first taking it and now, 2hrs after my 3rd dose, I feel about 5 kilos lighter. Im so glad that I am not at work because the smell of this first visit to the bathroom is absolutely revolting....(sorry for over sharing). It tastes sickly sweet but I'm getting used to it. I think this product will actually change my life for the better. PS. I'm in New Zealand where a lot of medication is funded by the government.”

Lorenaaa October 20, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: “I've literally tried everything for my constipation. A high fibre diet made it worse and I was relying on more dangerous laxatives. Lactulose didn't work for me to begin with until my gynaecologist told me to increase my dosage so I take 40ml twice a day. I now have a bowel movement everyday whereas in the past I'd go once a week and still be blocked up. It is a life saver. Only negative thing about it is the water retention. It has made my stomach so bloated and made me gain about 5lbs in water weight BUT these side effects are tolerable. I'll just keep to loose fitted tops for the mean time :)”

Shaeleigh · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2017

For Constipation, Chronic: “This has literally changed my life for the better. I have been told since I was 21 I have IBS. I had IBS A (alternating between D&C) At 46 at my wits end I tried lactulose as my bowels didn’t know what they wanted! Most nights I take 1 full soup spoon before dinner with a large glass of water, within two hours along with huge amounts of wind I am on the loo. If I get a little sluggish I up the dose by 1/2 a spoon or even 1 spoon. Worst case scenario there is more wind or a quicker dash to the loo or even a dose of D...but never any cramping any more! I then reduce the dose. It is all about the dose for anyone struggling you may need a bigger dose to get it going, then a smaller dose to maintain. I have my life back! Finally at 46 I am free again!”

Puddin · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2019

Generlac (lactulose) for Constipation, Chronic: “I’ve been struggling to have a bowel motion for years. I am on a high dose of OcyContin and OxCodone daily due to pancreatic cancer and so have what they call Opioid induced constipation. I was going two weeks without having a bowel motion then my doctor started me on Generlac and it works wonderfully. I took 30ml for first dose and 24 hours later I was on the toilet. I take 15ml daily to keep me going. No cramping or diarrhea....just a little gas.”

plugged up August 15, 2008

“Worked well.”

Is this normal? August 16, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “My daughter was constipated for 3 weeks. After two hospitals, one prescribed Lactulose. 45 ml three times a day. It’s been 5 days and all that has happened is diarrhea. Is that normal?? Is that the stool that has liquified?”

Volpi November 12, 2015

For Constipation, Acute: “Lactulose promotes a soft bowel movement without cramping, nausea or valsalvo effects.”

Old Phil December 3, 2017

For Hepatic Encephalopathy: “My wife started getting dehydrated at the beginning of this year and I repeatedly took her to the urgent care for rehydration. Her symptoms would go away but come back three weeks later. During a hospital stay in Aug 2017,my wife was given Reglan in her IV to treat nausea with disastrous results. She immediately forgot where she was,who I was or that she was in the hospital.m This lasted 24 hours but the incident left her with profound hallucinations for about three weeks. She got dehydrated again-got over medicated on hyperidol and then got a blood test that pinged on ammonia. It all fits. The Reglan damaged my wife’s already overworked liver and shes been dying of ammonia poisoning ever since . Lactulose may be a Godsend. We hope so.”

Baldie August 1, 2019

For Constipation, Acute: “I am a middle-aged woman. I’ve had constipation issues since I can remember. I’ve become used to going twice a week. But chemo for cancer treatment recently put me over the one-week mark and I was in agony when prescribed stool softeners and every other OTC thing I threw at it did nothing. This drug lactulose worked. Took a 15ml dose (3 tsp with a nice little syringe measure that came with) then repeated two hours later with a big drink of water and bowels moved several times shortly after second dose. It made my stomach rumble and gave me diarrhea, but it was worth it. (Stay home and close to a toilet.) I Dialled back the dose and then stopped altogether for now but it was the kickstart I needed. It’s a relief to know it’s in the arsenal. It is kind of thick and very sweet, but that was not a dealbreaker for me. (May be mixed into food or drink, but I just quickly drank it straight.) Highly recommend for those struggling.”

Vaana · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

For Constipation, Chronic: “I have suffered from terrible constipation my whole life ... I'm 61 now. I eats tons of vegetables, drink lots of water and have tried Fybogel and other bulking agents. Nothing worked! 3 weeks ago I had an operation and was advised to take Lactulose to avoid straining my wound. Well... what a transformation. Since then I take 30mls per day and have a perfect bowel movement daily. I only wish I had discovered lactulose earlier in my life. I'm lucky in that I actually enjoy the sweet syrup and I suffer very little wind at all. Everyone's different but I would definitely say it's worth a try.”

SmolBean · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “I have inflammatory bowel syndrome that sometimes causes me not to have bowel movements for weeks, my primary care doctor prescribed this to me for my IBS. I take 15ml of this twice a day, it says it's supposed to take 48 hours to work but it CERTAINLY doesn't take that long for me. It tastes HORRIBLE on its own but I mix it in with pink lemonade and I can't taste a thing.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2018

Generlac (lactulose) for Constipation, Chronic: “I've been having constipation problems for awhile now. I tried linzess and it worked just a few times, like 2 or 3, so I went back to the Dr and got Generlac. I took it on a Friday at 4 pm and the next morning it worked. I'm so relieved. So I'm going to continue taking it everyday and I'm hoping it keeps working.”

just a person · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2015

For Constipation, Acute: “Helps you a whole lot! Except you could get sore on the underside and stay extremely close to the toilet.”

4Yahshua · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: “Hubby is having chronic constipation. Many of us will when approaching 90. He used and still uses Casgara Sagrada (which never loses its potency. You don't have to take more and more.) This lactulose seems to work for him when he takes it regularly. He is also now taking two tablespoons of ground flaxseed stirred in 8 oz. of liquid daily. I do not have constipation now although I did as a child mainly from poor diet and not drinking very much water. A former mother-in-law religiously chewed a few slices of apple with some stewed prunes every night before bed. I understand that now she is 102. What a surprise!.”

Randall · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “Recommended by my primary care doctor after two gastoenterologists struck out for years. Works very well. Some people dislike the sweet taste but you can camouflage it in it in orange juice or real cranberry juice.”

Naz18 March 6, 2017

For Constipation, Chronic: “This stuff really works! I was suffering from constipation for a week straight and all it took was 30ml of this sweet syrup and I was in the washroom after an hour.”

Irene 66 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2017

For Constipation, Acute: “I've been taking iron off and on for the last 5 months my red blood cell count is too low they can't get it to stay up ? But I've been getting constipated 9 days without a poo the lactulose is great within a few hours I was at the toilet ,its gentle”

Anonymous March 14, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic: “I’m 17 weeks pregnant and have been struggling even before I found out I was pregnant to empty my bowels. Before I fell pregnant it was normal for me to poo once a week. I can’t even remember when I had my last bowel movement it was over a week ago and very small. I rushed to the pharmacy today to get something as my stomach feels bloated and painful. I took 45mls and within half an hour I started feeling sick and an hour after that I started cramping. 3 hours later I’m shooting to the toilet before I end up having an accident. What started off as a normal stool turned into explosive diarrhoea. But I guess with 7+ days of waste in me it was going to be a bit of a mess. So glad I took this however I wouldnt recommend taking before work/going out etc as it can be unpredictable as to when it will take effect. Also the wind is a bit embarrassing so better to be in the comfort of your own home. I would recommend.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: “So I am 17 weeks pregnant and have been constipated very badly for about 8 weeks.. Just took 20 ml of this stuff and literally within 10 minutes had proper bowl movement. Caused a lot of cramping tho and now I have diarrhoea it also made me sick but atleast I have finally had bowl movement! Fantastic stuff”

rosiezee April 18, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: “I was just wondering how this product works if I could just have feedback.”

Bloated beach ball December 8, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: “I have had chronic constipation since 5 yrs old I had chronic pain from a condition I was born with, and at 30 received oxcontin for the pain other wise I would be in a wheel chair. As a child after eating I would bloat I still do even on just 2 cups off coffee, it has taken 4 days for lactulose to work but I feel a lot better my Doctor said water water water! as the lactulose draws the water into our bowels, she also mention try the msp diet as you can be misdiagnosed as IBC and it could be certain proteins and sugars as well as wheat, barley, beans, dairy and makes it too hard for our gut to process.”