User Reviews for Restasis

Learn more about Restasis.

Restasis Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca.

Reviews for Restasis to treat Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca

"I had spent much of my time outdoors in the windy and dry plains of Co. My eyes stayed dry and painful. Eyedrops gave relief but symptoms would return so my doctor prescribed Restasis. It had the same results. I realized that even though I was no longer in a harsh environment my eyes had become conditioned and addicted to Eyedrops and Restasis! I learned that it is a very common addiction, including the body's craving and withdrawals from the substance. Restasis is nothing but an unnecessary addictive drug and the drug co. knows it. It should only be used while you have inflammation just like any other anti-inflammatory med. Overuse of anti-inflammatories is like overuse of anti-biotics. We know what happens when we do that. Effectiveness decreases"

adamw2635 January 15, 2017

"I have only been using this drug for 4 days. I am not having any problems with using it, However, I am a bit concerned with loss of appetite and brain fog. I can stand to lose some wieght but since I am a nursing student, I cannot deal with feeling out of it. I wonder if these side effects are temporary."

Bellaboo1972 January 15, 2017

"Yes, it burns. Get over it. This is the only medication that's an actual SOLUTION, and not just a bandaid on the problem like lubricants. You will suffer for a month, get used to it because it's worth it. Restasis works, if you'd rather complain and not find a solution than go through a month uncomfortable I am speechless. You can not use inflammatory eye drops, it negates restasis. Be prepared for no makeup, and to look bloodshot for a bit. After a cpl months I'm loving the effect Restasis has had on my eyes. Pro-tip: Stick vials in the fridge, when you put a couple drops in each eye place the topper back on. ONE vial will last 3-4 days, that's putting 2 drops in each eye 2x a day. Recommended is 2 vials a day, bullshit."

Faithnh November 26, 2016

"I am a senior citizen who has been on Restasis for 5 yrs. It is so expensive that using it puts me in the medicare donut hole. The drug company, Allergan, is unwilling to give me assistance in the form of samples and my dr's office gave me two samples one time during the 5 yr. period and after that will not help. I was refused two samples to get me through until Jan 1 when my new insurance year begins. It costs $481.35 for a monthly supply so even though my copay is only $30, I am in the donut hole by August at the latest. Allergan has a racket going on here at the expense of the patient. It's not affordable even though it's effective. Totally unfair, corrupt company."

Bobbbi k October 19, 2016

"I was prescribed Restasis by my ophthalmologist due to severe dry eye caused by Accutune. I was given a card that gave me a discount since I did not have private health insurance and used each vile over 2-3 days so that it became effectively very cheap for me to use. I had side effects at first, burning eyes and blurred vision. I was told it takes a minimum of 3 months to see any benefits so I kept using it. It worked almost too well, as my eyes started producing tears so much that my eyes would water all the time. I stopped using the product after 1 year, and my eyes have improved so much I no longer need to use it, although I still use regular over the counter eye drops (Systane Balance) once or twice a day as needed"

Empeaches October 5, 2016

"My eye doctor tried me on Restasis for dry eyes the first time being about a year ago. I didn't experience stinging as some have and thought it was going to do the job. However, about a week into the treatment my eyes felt swollen. I lifted my upper lids to see if anything looked wrong and my eyeball looked like it had hemorrhaged. I took a picture so I could show my doctor and stopped the treatment. About 6 months later we decided to try it again thinking maybe another medication I was using could have caused the Restasis to react that way. But once again it did the same thing."

pem71351 (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2016

"Ten years ago, I went through 7mo. of chemo for breast Cancer. In doing so, my tear ducts were affected as well as my eyes. Both eyes felt as though I had stared at someone welding, only my eyes just got worse. I used eye drops and gels for a couple months. And then my doctor prescribed Restasis. During the day, I used the drops and then both eyes would burn for a bit and itch. At night, I used the OTC gel. This gel causes blurred vision, has a cooling effect and puts the fire out. The Restasis was always kept in a cooler when away from home and in the fridge at home. This seemed to take the burn and itch out about half."

HotMammaMia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 27, 2016

"My husband is 42 years old and has perfect (20/20) vision. He began experiencing eye trouble about two years ago. It began with a few floaters. He says he still has these floaters as well as a feeling as if there are 'shadows' being cast over his eyes/eyelids. He also complains that they burn and have a 'sand' or 'grit' feeling in them. He has been to several eye doctors, all of which have either written him off completely, or diagnosed him with having severe dry eye. He tried Restasis and they have since become worse. No relief at all. He uses the non-preservative eye drops throughout the day and others occasionally. I see quite a few people have said the same thing, the Restasis just doesn't work. The discomfort has worsened."

Denny1974 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2016

"Use the drops approx every other day now, started daily. Absolutely no problems. Eye dr very pleased. However, thanks to Obama, can no longer afford. Sad."

Mitzi301 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2016

"Redness, blured vision, pain in and around affected eye, feeling of something in my eye, Have been on Restasis for 2 weeks but felt the side effects right away."

Aunte March 22, 2016

"The first time I was prescribed Restasis - I was also prescribed a cortisone drop and I didn't have any issues with burning and got complete relief within a few short months. I stopped taking it after 6 months and the eyes became dry again about 9 months later. I am back on it again but this time without the cortisone drops. I am finding the burning pretty much continuous. However I am again producing tears easily. I will ask my doctor to again prescribe cortisone drops in addition to the Restasis. My doctor ok'd me using each vile for 2-3 days.Fortunately I have insurance that covers most of the cost. I would highly recommend this drug to anyone suffering from chronic dry eyes. None of the over the counter medications helped."

SquirrellyCakes February 14, 2016

"They didn't help my dry eyes at all."

patscga (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2015

"I suffered with severe dry eyes for years. I was developing corneal ulcers and tons of dry spots. It was hard to wear contact lenses. My optometrist had me see an opthalmologist, and she put me on Restatis. Three months later, I had my check-up and the corneal ulcer is healed (left a small scar), and all the dry spots are gone. She has cleared me to try to wear contact lenses again. I actually feel tears when I blink. So far, this medication has been a godsend for me. I tested negative for Sjogrens."

mamamamam December 6, 2015

"Unfortunately was unable to affectively try this product. I experienced severe burning in my eyes following application. I contacted Allergen (manufacturer of Restassus) immediately with my side effects and they offered a complete refund. Thrilled that I was able to re-coup my money as this was a VERY expensive prescription ($1400/cash... 3 month supply). I am impressed with their support and willingness to refund."

Dbacques November 18, 2015

"I have an extreme dry left eye that drives me crazy for about 2 years can't wait to get home to wash my eye at night the right eye is dry per my dr exam but not nearly as bad. First few days in bad eye felt better off the bat. I am a sceptic so it really did feel better. 1 month later my really dry left eye feels wonderful. I was going to use it only in left bad eye due to the cost but once I opened the vial saw how much was in there I decided to use in against drs orders though I wash my hands and do not touch the dropper at all. works great for me"

kathleen s October 17, 2015

"When I see the commercial for Restasis on television, the lady who is on the commercial looks scary. Her eyes look so unnatural. She is staring like some zombie. I would not even try this just because of her zombie eyes. Either fix that or find someone else who does not look like zombie on TV."

Jane Ann October 6, 2015

"I used Restasis for extreme dry eyes. After 2 years and no relief I gave up. Restasis didn't do a thing! I now use Retaine available on line or at pharmacy. It's new...and works great! No prescription needed...and only about $20 for 30 containers. Use just like Restasis."

Bemopan (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2015

"One of the things that I'm reading here is that people use Restasis and Steroids together. You can't use Restasis at the same time use Steroids that is a big mistakes your eyes are going to get worse. Using Restasis for 4 months and I feel great."

Grace13 August 30, 2015

"This drug is so expensive (insurance covers little!!!) and simply does not work (after three months!)! I do not recommend it to any one "

phil Lee August 7, 2015

"I have been using this for approximately 2 years now and I am very worried that it has made my eyes MUCH worse.... I have just gotten done reading the other reviews and I am the complete opposite of these others. Therefore, I read the list of possible but not likely side effects and I am experiencing each and every one of these symptoms every time I use this medicine. Today, I used my restasis and then went venturing with my family for a few hours and my right eye began to secrete the yelowish thick fluid and burn worse than ever before. It also started to swell at the far corner of my eye. I went to the local emergency room where I was informed that I have conjunctivitis in my right eye and now have to use antibiotics and pain meds"

MissiEvol (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2015

"I've been using it for over a year and it is great. My eyes feel much better. But I would like it better if it didn't cost so much."

Leggetie (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 7, 2015

"I was hesitant to start using Restasis after reading the reviews. However, I was very desperate, suffering from severe dry eye, corneal scarring/dry spots, and ocular rosacea. My eyes were just giving me too much trouble and I was using high-end lubricant eye drops, compresses daily, fish oil pills, and consuming a lot of water. I was doing all I could to avoid Restasis. At the end of my rope, my Dr. prescribed Restasis along with a steroid drop. I have been using both for a month now and can already tell a very big difference. My eyes feel normal again and much less sensitive, no burning or scratching or tearing. It is wonderful. I hope that the benefits continue as long as I use the drops. I am a very happy Restasis customer!"

Jen H (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2015

"Restasis has been nothing short of a miracle for me! My eyes hurt, were extremely dry, had bumps under my eyelids and terrible allergies and inflammation. In the morning my eyelid would stick closed and I would have to open it slowly and add gel drops. I was on 4 things a day for my eyes and they were not getting much better. I run a humidifier because the dryness from running the heat in the winter seemed to make my eyes worse. I could not wear my contact lenses as it was torture. After being on Restasis for 3 weeks, I am 80% better. I use Systane Ultra gel drops when I go to bed at night and my eyes are so much better in the mornings when I wake up. I am now wearing my contact lenses again, but, not as long during the day as I used too. Grateful!"

Godlover/John 3:16 January 28, 2015

"I have been using Restasis for 5 months and two weeks and have finally felt a huge improvement so don't give up. There is no burning in my eyes and I don't feel like I have something scraping them any more. My doctor also recommended Lacrisert to help til the Restasis kicked in. Have only used it for about 2 weeks but did get some relief with the Lacrisert. All these medicines are expensive but I use one vial of Restasis for both eyes am and pm. this makes it last longer. also, I don't need a Lacrisert in one eye so that lasts longer. Lacrisert is difficult to get in but keep trying you'll get the hang of it. Don't give up. Huge relief. Thank the Good Lord for medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2015

"Eyes are much less irritated. Still have occasional pain from dry eyes, especially at night, but am only using other eye drops every half hour in evenings instead of every few minutes all day long. I keep vials in refrigerator and am able to use 1 vial for 2-3 days, so cost is not prohibitive."

BonBee January 13, 2015