User Reviews for Restasis

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Restasis.

Restasis Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca.

Reviews for Restasis to treat Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca

"Because of my arthritis, I find the multi dose vial very hard to use. I have to squeeze so hard to get a drop in my eye. Also, frequently two drops come out. It's an expensive med. so I hate wasting any of it. I had no problems with the single dose vial. I'm thinking of asking my doctor for an alternative med."

Rosie (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 25, 2018

"I have been using Restasis for several years. I loved the single dose prescription. It worked and I had enough. The new "multi - dose" bottles do not last 30 days. I started a new bottle on Feb 1 and today is Feb 21 and it is empty. I am now trying to just use the prescription one time a day and supplementing with OTC drops. I am not disabled and read all the directions several times. I just can't get the bottles to last 30 days. I end up going without."

30 days does not exist (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2018

"multi dose bottle does not have a 30 day supply in it"

dan101! (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 10, 2018

"I like restasis a lot, I saw real very good improvement over 6 Month period. Till that time I was using single vials. But now my refill prescription was for multi dose and they gave me 3 bottles instead single vials and its really frustrating as most of the time I have to apply by myself and that bottle is really weird to use. I can't use by myself. I am literally just wasting my multiple drops and not to mention that its pretty expensive even after my insurance coverage. I hope they bring back single vials again."

Rumana T February 7, 2018

"I don't have any experience with the single-use vials so I have no basis for comparison as others do, but I concur 100% that the multi-dose bottle has a serious design flaw that makes using this prescribed medication an exercise in utter frustration. It's a disaster. It simply doesn't work right, so I'm not even sure that I'm properly administering this medication. I'm about to give up. I think I'll follow the decision of another user on this site to seek redress through the company. Allergan need to know that this bottle design is an engineering flub. Somebody ought to be demoted (if not fired)."

pumpernickel (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2018

"I've used Restasis in the multi-vials for over a year and saw huge improvements in my eye comfort and vision. I rate that product a 10! Then my doctor prescribed the Restasis Multidose version. It is awful. I've used a bottle (30 days worth) in 15 days. I can never tell if it's coming out. Then when you get to the bottom of the bottle you have to squish it like a dish detergent bottle. Total FAIL! I am out lots of money now."

SG2921 January 23, 2018

"I have been using this product for years- the new multi use bottle is not working for me. First getting the child-proof cap off was silly. Second I can't get the drug out and end up wearing most of it. If I can't get the little bottles again I will look for another solution. This new bottle isn't working for me."

T.D. (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2018

"I'm so glad I'm not the only one having issues with the multi-dose bottle. It is nearly impossible to dispense one drop. I've squeezed the bottle until is looks like a crinkled soda can. I am going back to the vials. I don't think I have any drops left and it's supposed to last me probably about 15 more days. The bottle designer needs to tweak the design, it's not user friendly at all. The product works, the product design does not."

Berdie (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2018

"Severe dry eye a result of MS. Restasis effective lessening severity of symptoms. Have used for 7 plus years. Problem is new multiuse dropper. Very difficult to squeeze. Almost impossible for someone with limited hand strength and tremors to use. Please bring back single use vials!"

Akmacie (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 1, 2018

"I used this expensive eye drop for my severe dry eye problem. I used it for several months and my eye dr kept telling me "give it more time"....i finally thought, nope, I'm not going to pay a huge copay to just give it more time to work. Just how much more time did he expect me to wait. This drop is useless as far as I'm concerned for my dry eyes. I am not trying another drop and hopefully will get better results."

JECNY (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2017

"The product works but so expensive. I also read that the patent has been renewed so that means no generic. I use the single vial and will not even try the other. I also skip one dose a week to save the supply. Something needs to be done about out of control pricing by pharmaceuticals. There are no controls in place."

Cammie2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 23, 2017

"Hard to rate when I can't use because the drops won't come out unless I squeeze really hard — and then too much comes out. In my fourth day of using, I've gotten drops out twice. The doctor prescribed three months, so I still have two unopened bottles the pharmacy probably won't take back."

Cajuneer (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2017

"You can't believe everything doctors say. My eye was twitching unbelievably for weeks at a time and they kept saying stop drinking caffeine and its stress. I said it's probably because I have dry eyes. After fighting with the insurance company I was finally able to get Restasis and whala! My twitching ceased. I am so relieved. Life is hard enough why would I have to deal with twitching eye every day. They can sometimes cause them to be a little itchy I use a little allergy drop and I'm fine"

Blacktears December 2, 2017

"Just started the medication, & I understand it takes up to 90 days to realize full benefits. However, I've noticed minor improvement in my eyes, without side effects. One big issue: the dose is 1 drop 2x/day. The eye dropper provided is terrible at delivering 1 drop. The stuff goops out, and when I first started, I was probably getting 3-4 drops in my eye. I found the old fashioned nipple glass eye dropper works great at administering 1 drop at a time. However, this means unsealing the plastic containers in which the med is provided. They appear to be sealed, requiring cutting the top off. And, this risks contamination of the medicine. Allergin needs to provide a suitable delivery dropper. Hence, the 1 star."

BPNick007 November 24, 2017

"This drug taken once a day at bedtime seems to keep my dry eyes from getting worse (more dry). The cost is ridiculous and I hope it goes generic FAST or something else is invented. Also, I have never used the single dropper method which is new. But, I read that a lot of the med users HATE this application method. SO, GO BACK TO THE OTHER VIALS, PLEASE. Now that I entered medicare due to age 65, I find I can't get their free or $30 co-pay deal due to some government rules!? What the heck???And why???? NOT FAIR."

luckyladysmom November 14, 2017

"The new bottle design is absolutely AWFUL. It doesn't last the full 30 days. The product pools on top of the flat surface (waste). There's not enough product to appreciate "misses". If the purpose of this design is to increase sales due to waste, then they have succeeded. At $1400+ for a 90 day supply, I'm looking for alternatives if they no longer offer the single vials which contained enough product to allow for misses and were more convenient to use on-the-go."

Buje4 November 3, 2017

"Restasis single dose was great. The new single dose is a colossal fail because of the bottle design. It does not dispense properly. I will never buy the single dose again. I called the drug company Allergan and they are processing a claim for reimbursement for me."

PattyMG October 15, 2017

"Restasis is an overpriced medication. That is not affordable by most people who need it the most. The typical medicare patient with just a part D coverage for Rx's will pay more than $250-$350 per month. And Allergen, nor Restasis offer a program for anyone with the awful coverage that is available for someone like me. They don't consider it an important enough medication to cover the outrageous costs. So how would one rate a medication they can't get. One..."

Can't pay the cost October 5, 2017

"I just received the multi dose after years of using the vials no doubt you can get about 2-3 days use out of just one vial. I got the dropper for convenience. But the dropper is a joke and lucky to get 20 days out of one bottle. They really screwed up the bottle design. I have to squeeze hard to get a drop out and then sometimes 2 come out. I will never get the multi dose again unless they make it better and put more in them. This being said the restasis has definitely taken care of my dry eyes. I am fortunate that my insurance covers it."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 11, 2017

"I have been using restasis single dose for many years and it has helped me immensely with my chronic dry eye. However, I recently tried the multidose restasis and the dispensing bottle is a complete failure. I have wasted so many drops because they do not come out of the bottle. You have to squeeze and wait according to the manufacturer. However, this method does not work. How can you hold your eye open waiting 30 seconds for the drop? I will never use the multidose again. I feel the company should reimburse customers for this very expensive product."

soozeqsh7 September 4, 2017

"I have been using restasis single use vials for years and they have definitely helped my post lasik dry eyes--eye doc confirms corneas healthier, no dry patches. I was using the single use vials, using each one twice as everyone does, with no problems. I decided I'd try the multidose vials. I'd make the same comments as others--they are hard to dispense, dispense more than you need, and will not last a month, let alone 45 days, which makes them more than twice as expensive as the vials. We will see if Allergan keeps its promise to keep making the vials, as they will obviously increase profits with the multi use bottles."

Tucson anne (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 4, 2017

"Restasis SINGLE-DOSE was quite effective and easy to use for my dry eye condition after having intra-ocular lens implant 6-1/2 years ago. I switched to RESTASIS MUTI-DOSE for convenience. But, because of the viscosity/thickness of the MULTI-DOSE liquid it is nearly impossible to dispense. My hand goes into a spasm trying to squeeze just 1 droplet out. Even my big strong husband has struggles with the bottle. Allergan put too much castor oil and glycerin in the MULTI-DOSE formula. I called Express Scripts pharmacist and was advised to throw out the bottle and try a new one, thinking it was faulty. New one was just as bad."

Caroljb (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2017

"I have little to no effect using restasis for 9 months. At about $900 for a prescription of multidose Restasis I got about 40 days of applications, not the 55 claimed by Allergen. The dropper design is simply awful. The dropper is very difficult to squeeze to release a drop. The liquid is too viscous for a drop. It comes out in an amount that is probably equivalent to 3 applictions. The cost of this is prohibitive; my insurance is paying about $500 per prescription so I am picking up the $400 balance. I will never order the multiuse prescription again and I am doing my best to persuade my ophthalmologist to prescribe a different drug."

Unhappy consumer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 27, 2017

"I was diagnosed with extreme dry eye, in part due to past Lasix surgery, part occupational hazard, and part age related. My doctor put me on Restasis. It turns out I am allergic. I had none of the eye pain others described. But, my vision was very blurry impeding my ability to read and focus starting day 1. I increased my fluid intake, thinking dehydration. I had a "light " headache, sinus & throat issues getting progressively worse and I would suddenly lose my voice & experience dizziness. My blood pressure was elevated. My face became red & itchy.After feeling abnormalities in the blood flow around my heart, I stopped the Restasis. This all happened in 4 days. Most of the symptoms left 48 hours after stopping. Restasis is not for everyone."

Susan, NJ (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2017

"I had dry eyes since I began wearing contacts when I was 12 years old. Now at age 35 I found the solution.... and it was not Restasis. I was prescribed Restasis for my chronic dry eye in 2014 and I used it for about 1 1/2 years. It burned my eyes every single time is used it and I eventually quit because it was so painful. About one year ago in 2016 I started exercising and drinking about 1 gallon of water per day. An unintentional result from my increased water intake was NO MORE dry eyes! I no longer have to use any eye drops, something I never left home without before. I'm not saying this will work for everyone but I have tried multiple eye drops for years and got no results, I even tried supplements like fish oil with no improvement."

Jess091101 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 10, 2017