User Reviews for Vitamin D3

Vitamin D3 has an average rating of 3.4 out of 10 from a total of 13 ratings on Drugs.com. 25% of those users who reviewed Vitamin D3 reported a positive effect, while 75% reported a negative effect.

Vitamin D Deficiency
3.2
Vitamin D Insufficiency
Prevention of Fractures
10.0
Summary of Vitamin D3 reviews 3.4 13 reviews

Reviews for Vitamin D3

Redrich · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2021

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “I was sent to a rheumatologist for arthritis pain. He suggested 50k iu vit D3 for 7 days & 50k iu once a week for the next 7 weeks until my next appt. I have hyperparathyroidism which means I produce calcium oxalate kidney stones. I declined his suggestion on the grounds that that much vitamin D3 would increase my blood calcium level dramatically & therefore my stones also. He knew I had stones but said I needed the vit because it was the calcium producing the “bone spurs” that was causing my arthritic pain. What?? So I want to take more calcium?? Have to find another doctor!”

Vern · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2021

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “I struggle badly with vitamin D supplements. Don't ever let a doctor tell you it's not the supplement! The only thing I do like about it is for me it's almost like a sleeping pill. I pass out very quickly after taking it every time. However, the next day I always feel tense, dizzy, short of breath, headaches, muscle aches, anxiety, stomach pains, constipation, and have acid reflux issues. This ALWAYS goes away when I stop the supplement. I've tried adding magnesium and it doesn't help.”

Realpeople October 31, 2020

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “Blood test shown that I am Vitamin D deficient , doctor and Endo recommended me to take D3 1000iu/daily. After taking it, I noticed heart tightness, heart pounding, feeling weird in general , I stopped for a few days, then I was fine, then I started taking it again today, immediately, heart felt funny again.”

pj · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2020

For Vitamin D Insufficiency: “1st day fine on Vitamin D3, 2nd day horrible, day 3 no better side effects shakiness, skipped heartbeats and tired. I've tried this several times in the past few months. All with same side effects. I'm only taking 1000 IU'S. No more taking this as of today.”

Magnolia Joy October 19, 2016

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “After my wellness checkup and blood analysis, I was told by my md to start taking Vit. D3-2000 daily. I took it as recommended for 2 days and I noticed that I was experiencing dizziness, tiredness and really bad cramps in my hands, feet and legs. I thought that I was dehydrated and drank more water. The cramps kept getting worse and I also started having increased palpitations and more dizziness. As the only change I had made in my daily regimen was taking the D3, I decided to stop taking it to see if it might be the cause. Sure enough, these symptoms disappeared. So, why are we being told to take this? Several of my friends and family have been advised to do the same lately. Is it a new "health" sham?”

FrustratedOldLady · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2017

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “I was told by my doctor that I am Vitamin D deficient and should take 5000 iu of vitamin D per day. I began taking the supplement and within 36 hours began having HORRIBLE leg pains and muscle aches.The pain in my legs was so bad I could barely walk. I was also extremely nauseated, so much so that I couldn't eat. I stopped the vitamin D and in no time the muscle pains and nausea was gone. I now take 1000 iu of vitamin d per day with no side effects. I know it's less than my doctor wants me to take but that's too bad. Why do doctors insist on such enormous amount of vitamin D without considering the side effects??? I would rather be vitamin d deficient than suffer the side effects of a "theraputic" dose of vitamin d.”

LeenaLee September 7, 2019

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “So my doc prescribed me 10000 ui for 6 weeks, since I was vitamin d deficient. After 2 weeks taking these, I noticed terrible heart palpitations, fast heart beat, I went to ER with heart rate 172, the scariest day of my life. And vitamin d make me so drowsy and dizzy. I'm definitely not taking this anymore. Helped me with my levels, now is 36, but its making me feel miserable.”

Plasmodesmata · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2017

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “I have been struggling with arthritis-like pain for months. Swollen joints, pain, hard to move around, and muscle weakness. Started taking vitamin D3 and the difference was night and day. Strength is restored, pain is decreasing... I am on the mend. I used to work outside but now in an office all the time, I guess it played a bigger role in my health than I realized.”

COCO · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2020

For Vitamin D Insufficiency: “I was told by Dr to take 1000iu of Vit d I also take verapmil and after 1 week I had heart skips/ weakness/shakey/and could not walk straight could not find out what was wrong till I checked this site and found other people had these problems I stopped Vit D today and hope I feel better soon”

Aquarius girl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 6, 2020

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “I was low on vitamin d in my blood. Nurse practitioner prescribed me 50,000 units once a week for 4 months, then a 2,000 units once per day for 3 months. It helped up my vitamin d levels from 20 to 60.”

D-ficient · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 17, 2020

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “I had bloodwork done, and was found to have very low vitamin D levels, 55nmol/L. My nurse practitioner advised me to take 2,000 IU daily. I was already taking 4,000 IU daily, so I upped the dosage to 10,000 IU. I got my results from my latest blood tests, and I am still deficient in vitamin D, 56nmol/L, a whole 7 months later! Clearly, something else must be wrong here. I am a diabetic, and I am also taking Metformin, Lantus and Humalog insulins, as well as a small dose of Metoprolol.”

Nicky April 11, 2018

For Prevention of Fractures: “I would like to add that you need to take sufficient magnesium along with the vitamin d in order to avoid the side effects of cramping and pain . The lysinate form is a good form of magnesium to take to avoid laxative effects of other forms. You need to take magnesium in order for vitamin d to work well. Good luck.”

phillymark · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 10, 2017

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “D3 was prescribed as over the counter at 2k per day. I feel it would be more effective at 5k per day or more. Will check with next blood test. Did not notice a difference. Exhaustion is a real issue with me, partly due to the need for opioids; chronic pain from a surgical accident.”