User Reviews for Cholecalciferol

Also known as: Vitamin D3, D3, Decara, Replesta, Maximum D3, Enfamil D-Vi-Sol, D2000, D3-50, Ddrops, D 1000 IU, D-Vita Drops, Replesta Children's, Replesta NX, Celebrate Vitamin D3 Quick-Melt, Thera-D 2000, Thera-D 4000, Carlson D, Bio-D-Mulsion, Bio-D-Mulsion Forte, BProtected Pedia D-Vite, Delta D3, Thera-D Rapid Repletion, D400, D3-5, UpSpringbaby D, Wellesse Vitamin D3 …show all brand names

Cholecalciferol has an average rating of 4.4 out of 10 from a total of 28 ratings on Drugs.com. 35% of those users who reviewed Cholecalciferol reported a positive effect, while 62% reported a negative effect.

Vitamin D Deficiency
4.7
Vitamin D Insufficiency
Prevention of Fractures
6.5
Summary of Cholecalciferol reviews 4.4 28 reviews

Reviews for Cholecalciferol

Frustrated · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 29, 2021

For Vitamin D Insufficiency: “I began taking this supplement 4 years ago when I was told my levels were too low. I began having hypothyroid symptoms within months. Hair loss, dry hair and skin, achy joints, migraines. But my levels were all normal. On a whim, I recently stopped taking the vitamin d and my symptoms have all disappeared! Every doctor I saw kept saying it wasn't the supplement. I am so frustrated that there is relatively no information about it causing more issues in some people such as myself.”

Medd · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2021

For Prevention of Fractures: “Started taking d3 I was so sick my hips hurt. My back went out I was dizzy and moody. Stopped taking was taking 10000 mg a day. Thanks but no thanks”

Redrich · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2021

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) for Vitamin D Deficiency: “I was sent to a rheumatologist for arthritis pain. He suggested 50k iu vit D3 for 7 days & 50k iu once a week for the next 7 weeks until my next appt. I have hyperparathyroidism which means I produce calcium oxalate kidney stones. I declined his suggestion on the grounds that that much vitamin D3 would increase my blood calcium level dramatically & therefore my stones also. He knew I had stones but said I needed the vit because it was the calcium producing the “bone spurs” that was causing my arthritic pain. What?? So I want to take more calcium?? Have to find another doctor!”

Vern · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2021

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) for Vitamin D Deficiency: “I struggle badly with vitamin D supplements. Don't ever let a doctor tell you it's not the supplement! The only thing I do like about it is for me it's almost like a sleeping pill. I pass out very quickly after taking it every time. However, the next day I always feel tense, dizzy, short of breath, headaches, muscle aches, anxiety, stomach pains, constipation, and have acid reflux issues. This ALWAYS goes away when I stop the supplement. I've tried adding magnesium and it doesn't help.”

pj · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2020

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) for Vitamin D Insufficiency: “1st day fine on Vitamin D3, 2nd day horrible, day 3 no better side effects shakiness, skipped heartbeats and tired. I've tried this several times in the past few months. All with same side effects. I'm only taking 1000 IU'S. No more taking this as of today.”

Magnolia Joy October 19, 2016

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) for Vitamin D Deficiency: “After my wellness checkup and blood analysis, I was told by my md to start taking Vit. D3-2000 daily. I took it as recommended for 2 days and I noticed that I was experiencing dizziness, tiredness and really bad cramps in my hands, feet and legs. I thought that I was dehydrated and drank more water. The cramps kept getting worse and I also started having increased palpitations and more dizziness. As the only change I had made in my daily regimen was taking the D3, I decided to stop taking it to see if it might be the cause. Sure enough, these symptoms disappeared. So, why are we being told to take this? Several of my friends and family have been advised to do the same lately. Is it a new "health" sham?”

FrustratedOldLady · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2017

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) for Vitamin D Deficiency: “I was told by my doctor that I am Vitamin D deficient and should take 5000 iu of vitamin D per day. I began taking the supplement and within 36 hours began having HORRIBLE leg pains and muscle aches.The pain in my legs was so bad I could barely walk. I was also extremely nauseated, so much so that I couldn't eat. I stopped the vitamin D and in no time the muscle pains and nausea was gone. I now take 1000 iu of vitamin d per day with no side effects. I know it's less than my doctor wants me to take but that's too bad. Why do doctors insist on such enormous amount of vitamin D without considering the side effects??? I would rather be vitamin d deficient than suffer the side effects of a "theraputic" dose of vitamin d.”

LeenaLee September 7, 2019

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) for Vitamin D Deficiency: “So my doc prescribed me 10000 ui for 6 weeks, since I was vitamin d deficient. After 2 weeks taking these, I noticed terrible heart palpitations, fast heart beat, I went to ER with heart rate 172, the scariest day of my life. And vitamin d make me so drowsy and dizzy. I'm definitely not taking this anymore. Helped me with my levels, now is 36, but its making me feel miserable.”

Realpeople October 31, 2020

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) for Vitamin D Deficiency: “Blood test shown that I am Vitamin D deficient , doctor and Endo recommended me to take D3 1000iu/daily. After taking it, I noticed heart tightness, heart pounding, feeling weird in general , I stopped for a few days, then I was fine, then I started taking it again today, immediately, heart felt funny again.”

Plasmodesmata · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2017

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) for Vitamin D Deficiency: “I have been struggling with arthritis-like pain for months. Swollen joints, pain, hard to move around, and muscle weakness. Started taking vitamin D3 and the difference was night and day. Strength is restored, pain is decreasing... I am on the mend. I used to work outside but now in an office all the time, I guess it played a bigger role in my health than I realized.”

COCO · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2020

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) for Vitamin D Insufficiency: “I was told by Dr to take 1000iu of Vit d I also take verapmil and after 1 week I had heart skips/ weakness/shakey/and could not walk straight could not find out what was wrong till I checked this site and found other people had these problems I stopped Vit D today and hope I feel better soon”

Aquarius girl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 6, 2020

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) for Vitamin D Deficiency: “I was low on vitamin d in my blood. Nurse practitioner prescribed me 50,000 units once a week for 4 months, then a 2,000 units once per day for 3 months. It helped up my vitamin d levels from 20 to 60.”

Cinnamon · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2021

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “Hi Decided to begin taking VitD3 as I'm 73 years and have been reading they help during Covid I purchased 1000 IU I took that dose for 3 days and hardly slept a wink on those nights So I cut them in half. Have been taking the 500 IU dose for 4 days and feel awful, dry mouth, bloating feel anxious and irritable light headed. Don't know if anyone else has had these problems Seems such a small dose I think sadly I will have to stop taking them for a while and see what happens”

D-ficient · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 17, 2020

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) for Vitamin D Deficiency: “I had bloodwork done, and was found to have very low vitamin D levels, 55nmol/L. My nurse practitioner advised me to take 2,000 IU daily. I was already taking 4,000 IU daily, so I upped the dosage to 10,000 IU. I got my results from my latest blood tests, and I am still deficient in vitamin D, 56nmol/L, a whole 7 months later! Clearly, something else must be wrong here. I am a diabetic, and I am also taking Metformin, Lantus and Humalog insulins, as well as a small dose of Metoprolol.”

Nicky April 11, 2018

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) for Prevention of Fractures: “I would like to add that you need to take sufficient magnesium along with the vitamin d in order to avoid the side effects of cramping and pain . The lysinate form is a good form of magnesium to take to avoid laxative effects of other forms. You need to take magnesium in order for vitamin d to work well. Good luck.”

Sarah · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 16, 2019

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “I have thyroid issues and I am relatively obese. Obesity binds vit D and creates a deficiency. Catch 22 because you need Vit D to lose weight. Blood test confirmed low levels. Starting taking Calciferol oil, 1ml daily. I noticed that my belly fat was disappearing. I feel so much better and no longer battle binge eating disorder. I suspect I was binging because my body was desperately trying to get hold of this hormone. Now I'm levelled out and know that I will be able to finally lose weight.”

Anon May 3, 2019

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “I was feeling fine until I was diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency (4.6). I took 8000ui of vit D3 once a week for a month. The 1st time I took it after 3 hours I felt sick all of a sudden, with terrible palpitations, extreme dizziness, nausea, confusion. I thought I was dying! My dr said it was impossible vit D caused this, so he told me to keep taking the drug. 2nd week I ended up in the ER but everything was negative and they told me it couldn't be vit D. I took it 4 times, once a week, until I asked my pharmacist about my symptoms and told me to stop immediately. During that month I had constipation, loss of appetite, extreme weight loss, dizziness, fatigue, muscle pain, anxiety, depression, high blood pressure and scary palpitation episodes (10 times), all symptoms I never had before. Now it's been a month since I've stopped taking vit D and my health is slowly improving. Now my vit D level is 16 so I guess the drug worked but I would never take it again with all those side effects”

Gary622012 December 18, 2016

D3 (cholecalciferol) for Vitamin D Deficiency: “Having severe bone loss, my MD put me on vitamin D2 at 50,000 units a week. My wife did the research, and found out vitamin D2 is not as well absorbed as vitamin D3. It also must be taken with a calcium supplement. I had been taking the D2 for several years, and then they wanted me to take Prolia as my bone loss was getting worse. Stopping the D2, and starting the D3 at 5,000 iu a day with 600 mg of calcium has helped quite a bit. I would suggest anyone try this before taking something like Prolia, or Forteo for bone loss. If you have osteoporosis, you need the supplements either way. Wife took Forteo everyday for 26 months, and less than 4 years later they now want her to try Prolia too.Check wikipedia for info on this.”

Big Rob · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2021

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “30/10/2020 prescribed 400,000 iu for ten days 20k once weekly for six more weeks. After 10 days of the 400k Severe colon pain chronic bloating, alternating between diarrhea and constipation, so it was like the symptoms of IBS or Bowel cancer. I had nerve pain, bone pain, severe back pain, chronic stress ,depression and anxiety, weakness exhaustion The doctor denies any possible connection with vitamin d and suggested IBS. Then after a full blood count suggested diverticulitis. And suggested I need to address my state of mind as opposed to the body. Now four months later I am just about starting to feel slightly better”

Pebbles · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2021

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “I have fibromayalgia and the Dr suggested I have my bloods checked and they found that I’m pretty low on Vitamin D .. I was put on colcalciferol 2x 800unit caps a day.. initially I was fine but day 4 my stomach started to whine and churn and I was nauseous. On day 5 I was doubled up in pain, stomach cramps, diarrhoea, banging headache, puffy, bloated! I spoke to the Dr who said it’s not a ‘normal response’ .. she then re checked the ‘possible other side effects’ and there they were .. lots of them. I’ve stopped taking the capsules and 3 days later I’m still poorly, less poorly admittedly but maybe these things should be started gradually. Nasty experience that’s still with me but hopefully it’ll continue to ease in the coming days. Dr suggested I let my gut settle then resume once daily but that is not going to happen.”

Anonymous November 20, 2019

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “My vitamin d levels are 15, so my doctor prescribed 50,000 units once per week, after takin it, I felt very strange, within 2 days my heart was pounding out of my chest, I could not sit still, I was literally out of breath, I was so scsred, i called my doctor's office 3 times and explained what was happening, she said that I might have symptoms of a heart attack, I refused and took my when required klonopin, soon I was feeling so much better, Iwas so scared I thought I was going to die! Dangerous stuff when taking very high doses, your body can only absorb so much at a time! I feel for anyone going through this, don't know how I'm going to get my levels up after what happened. god bless. ”

Jhippo · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2021

D3 (cholecalciferol) for Vitamin D Deficiency: “Wanted to reduce chance of catching covid. Been seeing multiple articles about covid patients are all or almost all deficient in vitamin d. I am obese, have high blood pressure, and very bad lungs 60 yrs old. Started having palpitations first day but didn't make the connection. Took for 3rd and last time today. Still with the palpitations.”

otaku-guy October 29, 2018

Decara (cholecalciferol) for Vitamin D Deficiency: “Decara was very helpful in improving my Vit D levels. I prefer this product over Drisdol, as Decara is actually high quality D3. (Drisdol is D2.) This has been much more effective for me. I highly recommend you ask your doctor about this product if your trying to improve low Vitamin D levels. It worked very well for me.”

Jwright7784 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 23, 2016

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “I started taking Vitamin D3 along with Omega-3 a few years ago. The combination of the two really helped my physical energy and brought my blood pressure down from 150-160 systolic, 100-110 diastolic, to 102-125 systolic and 75-85 diastolic. I also lost 75 lbs with little effort. Vitamin D is a great supplement.”

Sunshine · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2019

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “My doctor prescribed me 40,000 units a week. I have been taking for just over a week and have no side effects listed however, severe nightmares. I used to suffer from night terrors as a child (whilst taking Vit D supplements) however, as I got older and I got a bit too busy and wasn’t taking much care of my health, the night terrors stopped; as well as the supplements. Could this just be a coincidence? Potentially however, something to note.”

phillymark · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 10, 2017

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) for Vitamin D Deficiency: “D3 was prescribed as over the counter at 2k per day. I feel it would be more effective at 5k per day or more. Will check with next blood test. Did not notice a difference. Exhaustion is a real issue with me, partly due to the need for opioids; chronic pain from a surgical accident.”

Jade · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2021

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I suffered from insomnia, night sweats, irritability, mood swings, chills, gastro issues (gas, acid reflux) heart palpitations and fatigue. Labs showed a Vitamin D deficiency. Doc started me on D3 4,000 iu daily (CVS brand of D3 50 mcg 2,000 iu twice per day. I feel much better! I sleep through the night and I'm not as irritable and moody each day. I feel happier and more energetic with less cravings for sugars and carbohydrates. I still feel heart palpitations, but they've decreased since quitting caffeine and getting serious about reducing stress. Diet changes include eliminating caffeine (including NSAIDS), reducing sugar, and eliminating dairy. I think the hormones in dairy contribute to my hormonal imbalance and my body was desperately trying to compensate (biggest indicator was adult acne disappearing and reduced growth of random facial hairs). Taking D3 for the last 2 months along with dietary changes has greatly improved symptoms.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 23, 2016

For Vitamin D Deficiency: “I took this drug for almost 2 years and then my doctor took me off of it when I lost my job, because I knew I wasn't going to have enough money to for it.”