User Reviews for Capecitabine to treat Breast Cancer, Metastatic

Also known as: Xeloda

Capecitabine Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 46 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer, Metastatic.

Reviews for Capecitabine

gp June 8, 2020

“I have metastatic breast cancer that spread to my liver and bone, My oncologist said its inoperable. I've been on capecitabine and a new experimental chemo drug called tesataxal for approx 10 months now I'm on my 13 cycle. So far my tumors stable some have shrunk. I'm getting a little anxious and was wondering how long I need to continue taking this drug. The protocol requires me to take it for 2 years. I'm asking if anyone has other alternatives to speed up the process?”

TL · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2020

“My mom has has taken this medication capecitabine for 4 sessions (2weeks +1 week break) now and it was 1 tablet (500mg) am and 1 tablet( 500mg) pm for 3 sessions and after the first session she was not able to do most of her daily chores as she used to but by the third session she had a tummy so swollen ( 2x its original size). And in the forth dose when it was 2 tablets (500mg) am and 2 tablets( 500mg) pm things just got out of hand with an exploding tummy, not being able to eat or walk and excessive belching, passing less urine, trouble breathing and severe leg, feet, back and shoulder pain . I think this medication hits pretty hard on elderly people.”

Ali · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 15, 2019

“I was diagnosed with liver mets in May this year also have had bone Mets for 5 years all from my breast cancer. So far Capecitbine has worked fantastically I have had 2 scans since starting and both very positive as tumors are shrinking. I feel great. Any side affects are very easy treated.”

Joy Hewlett · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 26, 2018

Xeloda (capecitabine): “Wonderful drug for me. Brought my tumor marker blood test from 555 to 71 and still may be going lower. No side effects. Pray it continues to work.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2018

Xeloda (capecitabine): “Chemo pill that is so awful!!!! I didn’t have as many side effects taking AC (Adriamycina & Cyclophosphamide) chemo. I do have so many side effects with these awful pills. The thought of enduring 5 more extremely awful months is almost unimaginable.”

devila August 8, 2017

“I have been taking these pills for the past two months...one week on one week off. 500mg per pill. 8 pills per day, four in the morning and four at night and so far this has been a god sent. I have MBC stage 4 as of today I have had no side effects no hair thinning, no diarrhea, no peeling of the hands or feet. I was given the option of chemo infusion but declined as after reading all the side effects I decided not to go that route. I just left my doctors office this afternoon and the news was good. The swelling and open wounds on the breast that had been bleeding profusely has stopped. wounds are healing and some shrinkage of the tumor was seen. I can only tell you that it seems to be working for me.”

Cheryl C · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 13, 2017

Xeloda (capecitabine): “I will be starting my 4th round next week of Xeloda (generic). I have stage 4 breast cancer that I have been battling for over 6 years. Tumor spread to the liver, some sort of tumors near my kidney pressing my urethra, and pleurisy. I was losing 1 to 2 lbs a day. This is only my third therapy in all those years. My first round was 4,000 mg per day for 14 days. We had to adjust as the pain in my feet became horrific after a week. I am now taking 3,000 mg per day for 7 days on; 7 days off. I am no longer losing weight so we know the xeloda is probably working on the liver. The pleural area is not refilling (had surgery); kidney was saved with stents. Please do not be quick to jump to another drug (only when they stop working).”

SueZi December 12, 2016

Xeloda (capecitabine): “I have been taking Xeloda 500mg. for approximately 5 months with only a few side effects I am on one week and off the next. I am tired during the week I am on with occasional diarrhea. I have noticed my hair thinning more but not too extreme. I don't have any hand or foot peeling as others do. I sleep really good and my appetite has not been affected. On occasion my gums feel a little tender. The best part is my tumor markers continue to drop in number! This is working for me.”

Lizzie5 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 30, 2016

Xeloda (capecitabine): “Appears I have developed lactose intolerance on my third cycle”

bjmonson July 10, 2016

“I began this drug when diagnosed 9 months ago with Stage IV Metastatic CA. I take 4 pills in the a.m. and 3 in the p.m. I began on the 14 days on and 7 days off regime. Went ok with only a little nausea at first, but a few cycles in had severe diarrhea and stomach pain to the point of passing out on the toilet. The next day diarrhea with bloody stools. My oncologist changed the cycle to 1 week on and 1 week off and I have had much less severe side effects. I do get a day or two with a bout of diarrhea and sometimes a day or 2 of foot redness even with using creams faithfully. However, my CT scan confirms my cancer liver spots have decreased and shrunk. My bone spots are healing in places and there are no new areas seen...so far, so good.”

BC Survivor May 18, 2016

Xeloda (capecitabine): “I am thankful this drug didn't kill me! After taking this drug for 8 days the side effects started and went from bad to worse...blisters on hands, and hands and feet as well as every fold in my skin turned black and I had severe diahrea, that ended up putting me in the hospital for 6 days. The medicine reacted to my colon and it was wide open, couldn't hold anything down, lost 17 pounds is 7 days, although the weight loss was welcomed, I wouldn't suggest going about it this way. I stuck it out for the full 14 day regime and my doctor believes that with taking the drug for the first cycle hopefully it shrunk some of the tumors which are in my jaw, spine, collar bone and left femur. New treatmen coming after I recover from Xeloda!”

janmarbol · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2016

Xeloda (capecitabine): “My husband is on it and is extremely fatigued- and I MEAN TIRED to where he can't walk w/o getting out of breath. He also coughs constantly and brings up white foamy phlegm. L girl, you said your mom passed soon after taking the drug. I'm so sorry. Did she have issues with lungs and/or cough? I hope you see this but I'm not sure you will since we can't message people on here apparently.”

cher61 April 4, 2016

Xeloda (capecitabine): “I've been on Xeloda for 5 months. I have extreme traveling pains. Once I woke up at 3am and my right hand felt like someone had stabbed me with a knife and the knife was still in it. This lasted for 3 days. Next it was my left leg at the hip joint. I couldn't walk on it. Lots of pain when I moved it. It lasted about 4 days. Next was in my jaw joint. Painful swelling, couldn't bite down on anything..another 3 day episode. The pain is horrible. I go for scans in two weeks to see why my tumor markers went up. Could be from the inflammation xeloda is causing, could be xeloda is not working for me and the cancer is spreading. Will know soon.”

L girl November 19, 2015

Xeloda (capecitabine): “My mom took this medication and not long after she passed away. I think this medication played a good part. I wouldn't take it if I was any1 but hopefully it might work for you.”

Anonymous May 3, 2009

Xeloda (capecitabine): “I have advanced breast cancer in treatment. Xeloda has been better than being stuck in the chemo suite at my oncologist's office all the time. I just take the pills and they are pretty easy to take, compared to the infusions. Now I just have to go once a month to get my Taxotere. My nurse also has me putting lots of lotion on my hands and feet to prevent side effects, so far my hands are just dry sometimes. The best part is my hair is coming back. If I'd known this drug was available earlier, I'd have asked for it.”

Learn more about Breast Cancer, Metastatic