User Reviews for Bethanechol to treat Urinary Retention

Also known as: Urecholine, Duvoid, Myotonachol

Bethanechol has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 7 ratings for the treatment of Urinary Retention. 57% of those users who reviewed Bethanechol reported a positive effect, while 14% reported a negative effect.

Bethanechol Rating Summary

7.4/10 average rating

Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Retention.

Skmkberry May 17, 2021

“Urecholine works very well for me the past 30 years. 60-90 minutes after the 25mg tablet I can begin urination and empty my bladder. Without Urecholine I must self-cath several times a day to empty my bladder and prevent a distended bladder, bladder Infection, or/and kidney infection. The yellow pill works for me. The white one does not work as well and I get an infection. The yellow pill only becomes powdery or soft after it is exposed to air or is outdated- only under these circumstances does the medication not work. Thios has given me a much better quality of life that allows me to only self catheterize under under extreme poor health circumstances.”

SashaNicole September 29, 2020

“I've been dealing with neurogenic bladder for 3.5 months. Doctors put my on Flomax, which didn't really help. I was catheterized 3 times in the clinic at appointments so they could test my urine. I haven't been able to go 'under pressure' because of this bladder issue. My urologist, neurologist, General Practitioner refused to give me Bethanechol and suggested self cathing. No thanks. I was able to go but with lots of hesitation or not being able to fully empty. Plus took FOREVER to finally go and many in and out trips in the bathtub trying to get the urge to go. (So annoying) finally I have another doctor who understands treatments and was very kind to put me on Bethanechol. It's been a week and I'm already noticing good changes. Been a god send!!! I don't understand why some doctors are against Bethanecchol, other then it actually works. I highly suggest giving Bethanechol a try. I apologize for the long story, hope it helps others with similar experiences at least.”

Proudmale · Taken for 10 years or more September 15, 2020

“I have been taking this pill 3 times per day for over 10 years. It gives S-O-M-E relief, but my stream is very weak and I sometimes need to try upwards of 1/2 hour to get it started. My major complaint about Bethanechol, at least the Upland Smith formulation is that the pills have become intolerably crumbly. Like many of my fellow elders, I take enough medications to mandate my putting the pills in a pill minder box-- 4 slots per day, 7 days per week. It has become a pleasant rarity to take my pills without them being covered in the yellow dust cloud of a disintegrated Bethanechol pill. Next time I see my Doctor I will be taking an emptied pill minder so he can see how bad it is. Hopefully he will prescribe a new pill to replace the yellow dust.”

bridgiebell · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 9, 2013

“I have Multiple Sclerosis and have a problem with my bladder fully emptying. Any amount of urine that Is left in my bladder, makes it seem like I haven't even gone to the bathroom. Bethanechol makes it so my bladder fully empties and I don't have those feelings.”

justme looking for answers October 25, 2016

“Has anyone else choked on taking this medicine because it starts dissolving as you take it? It lodged in my throat this morning and I couldn't breathe. My hands we going numb but managed to stay somewhat calm until it dissolved enough to throw it up. Usually it comes back up before it gets stuck”

No go March 8, 2017

“This helped my neurogenic bladder and neurogenic bowel condition. After 2 years, tho, it started giving me nausea and vomiting. I see you are supposed to take it 1 hr before or 2 hrs after a meal or it can cause nausea and vomiting. I hadn't ever paid attention to that and I was fine, now I can't tolerate it and am sad bc it really helped both conditions.”

Old Tom · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2020

“I’ve only been on this for a couple of weeks, but so far it’s helping empty my bladder. I have a much stronger stream. The pills do seem hard to swallow. Perhaps if they were oblong instead of round, they might go down better.”