User Reviews for Bethanechol

Also known as: Urecholine, Duvoid, Myotonachol

Bethanechol has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings on Drugs.com. 60% of those users who reviewed Bethanechol reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Abdominal Distension   7.7
Urinary Retention   7.0
Summary of Bethanechol reviews 7.2 9 reviews

Reviews for Bethanechol

SashaNicole September 29, 2020

For Urinary Retention: “I've been dealing with neurogenic bladder for 3.5 months. Doctors put my on Flomax, which didn't really help. I was catheterized 3 times in the clinic at appointments so they could test my urine. I haven't been able to go 'under pressure' because of this bladder issue. My urologist, neurologist, General Practitioner refused to give me Bethanechol and suggested self cathing. No thanks. I was able to go but with lots of hesitation or not being able to fully empty. Plus took FOREVER to finally go and many in and out trips in the bathtub trying to get the urge to go. (So annoying) finally I have another doctor who understands treatments and was very kind to put me on Bethanechol. It's been a week and I'm already noticing good changes. Been a god send!!! I don't understand why some doctors are against Bethanecchol, other then it actually works. I highly suggest giving Bethanechol a try. I apologize for the long story, hope it helps others with similar experiences at least.”

Proudmale · Taken for 10 years or more September 15, 2020

For Urinary Retention: “I have been taking this pill 3 times per day for over 10 years. It gives S-O-M-E relief, but my stream is very weak and I sometimes need to try upwards of 1/2 hour to get it started. My major complaint about Bethanechol, at least the Upland Smith formulation is that the pills have become intolerably crumbly. Like many of my fellow elders, I take enough medications to mandate my putting the pills in a pill minder box-- 4 slots per day, 7 days per week. It has become a pleasant rarity to take my pills without them being covered in the yellow dust cloud of a disintegrated Bethanechol pill. Next time I see my Doctor I will be taking an emptied pill minder so he can see how bad it is. Hopefully he will prescribe a new pill to replace the yellow dust.”

Old Tom · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2020

For Urinary Retention: “I’ve only been on this for a couple of weeks, but so far it’s helping empty my bladder. I have a much stronger stream. The pills do seem hard to swallow. Perhaps if they were oblong instead of round, they might go down better.”

alet September 3, 2019

For Abdominal Distension: “It may well have saved my life when I because unable to pee for days, thank goodness one doctor had recently read an article of another woman with the same problem, whose neurogenic bladder problem was controlled using Bethanechol. Fortunately it has worked for me as well. The name brand Duvoid was later substituted( Canada) with a generic version, which also works, but for some reason the pills are three times as large and hard to swallow for someone with choking tendencies. Also the pills dissolve triggering choking until the clump of it can be managed to cough up. It is concerning enough to wonder if there is an alternative. I noticed one other person had this problem also, are there more? Just why is there so much filler in the generic pill vs name brand?”

Thlasassa January 31, 2018

For Abdominal Distension: “I have Pain in my stomach and swelling problems.I have a leaking bladder so that pill was making me go all the time. Sometimes I would have days that I would go through so many Poise pads. It didn't help me.”

No go March 8, 2017

For Urinary Retention: “This helped my neurogenic bladder and neurogenic bowel condition. After 2 years, tho, it started giving me nausea and vomiting. I see you are supposed to take it 1 hr before or 2 hrs after a meal or it can cause nausea and vomiting. I hadn't ever paid attention to that and I was fine, now I can't tolerate it and am sad bc it really helped both conditions.”

justme looking for answers October 25, 2016

For Urinary Retention: “Has anyone else choked on taking this medicine because it starts dissolving as you take it? It lodged in my throat this morning and I couldn't breathe. My hands we going numb but managed to stay somewhat calm until it dissolved enough to throw it up. Usually it comes back up before it gets stuck”

Wendy's · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2013

Urecholine (bethanechol) for Abdominal Distension: “I was in severe pain and had nausea when I was prescribed this medication. I still have the pain and nausea, but they are more tolerable now.”

bridgiebell · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 9, 2013

For Urinary Retention: “I have Multiple Sclerosis and have a problem with my bladder fully emptying. Any amount of urine that Is left in my bladder, makes it seem like I haven't even gone to the bathroom. Bethanechol makes it so my bladder fully empties and I don't have those feelings.”

teri1215 March 31, 2008

“I take this for side-effects of intrathecal baclofen therapy, It works pretty well for me”