This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
TED hose are stockings that help prevent blood clots and swelling in your legs. You may need these stockings if you have had surgery or you cannot get out of bed. You may also need them if you are elderly or have a history of blood clots. Healthcare providers will measure your legs to make sure the stockings fit properly. They will teach you and anyone who takes care of you how to put the stockings on.
What you need to know about putting on TED hose:
- Lie down and prop your legs on pillows at least 15 minutes before you put the stockings on.
- Put a small amount of powder on your ankles to help ease the stockings onto your legs. Ask your healthcare provider what kind of powder to use.
- Pull the stocking over your foot. Then gather the loose material and use short, quick pulls to bring the stocking up your leg.
What else you need to know about TED hose:
- Wear your stockings all day, as directed. You may also be directed to wear them while you sleep at night.
- Check your toes for color or temperature changes at least every 4 hours during the day. Remove the stockings if you notice any changes in your toes.
- Make sure the stockings stay smooth and in place. Do not let them roll down at the top. Do not let them wrinkle. Wrinkles under the toes can stop blood flow to your legs and feet. Wrinkles along the leg can create pressure that damages your skin.
- Take your stockings off as directed to wash them. Wash your legs and check for a rash or damaged skin each time you take the stockings off.
- Wash the stockings in warm water with a mild soap. You may be directed to wear another pair of stockings while you wash the first pair.
- Get new stockings if yours do not fit properly or become damaged.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- Your toes swell, feel cold and look blue, or you cannot move them.
- You have leg cramps or pain.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
© 2016 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.