This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Myringotomy with PE Tubes
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Myringotomy is surgery to put a hole through your eardrum. The hole relieves pressure and lets fluid drain from your ear. A pressure equalizing (PE) tube will be put through the hole during surgery. The tube is used to keep the hole open and to help drain fluid. Over time, the tube will fall out or be removed by a healthcare provider.
Call your surgeon or otolaryngologist if:
- You have hearing loss, ear ringing, or dizziness after you use eardrops.
- Your ear is draining blood or pus.
- You have severe pain in your ear.
- You have sudden hearing loss.
- You have a fever.
- You have changes in your hearing.
- You have trouble tasting food, or cannot taste food at all.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
You may need any of the following:
- Antibiotics treat or prevent an infection caused by bacteria.
- Steroids decrease pain and swelling.
- Prescription pain medicine may be given. Ask your healthcare provider how to take this medicine safely. Some prescription pain medicines contain acetaminophen. Do not take other medicines that contain acetaminophen without talking to your healthcare provider. Too much acetaminophen may cause liver damage. Prescription pain medicine may cause constipation. Ask your healthcare provider how to prevent or treat constipation.
- Take your medicine as directed. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him or her if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
may be given. Follow the instructions for putting in the drops.
Care for your ears:
Gently use a tissue to remove fluid leaking from your ear. Do not put cotton swabs in your ear. Ask how to clean your ear after your myringotomy.
You may need to avoid certain activities, such as swimming. Ask how long you need to do this.
Follow up with your surgeon or otolaryngologist as directed:
You may need to return to have your ear checked or to have the PE tube removed. Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2021 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.