This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
How to Use Eye Drops
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Eye drops are available with or without a doctor's order. Use them as directed.
How to use eye drops:
Read the instructions carefully before you use eye drops. Store eye drops at room temperature and away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not use the drops if they change color or turn cloudy. Do not use the drops if they have small bits floating in them. Wash your hands before and after you put in eye drops.
- Gently shake the bottle.
- Do not touch the tip of the bottle to your eye. Germs from your eye can spread to the medicine bottle.
- Tilt your head back and pull down your lower eyelid with your index finger.
- Gently squeeze the bottle to drop the correct number of drops into your eye. Wait at least 5 minutes between each drop.
- Close your eyes. Press your index finger against the inside corner of your eye next to your nose for 1 minute.
- If you use more than one kind of drop, wait 10 to 15 minutes before you use the second one.
- Gently wipe away any extra liquid with a tissue.
- Replace the cap on the bottle.
- Do not rub your eyes.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have eye pain or watering.
- You have changes in your vision.
- Your eyes are red, swollen, or draining pus.
- You develop a rash or hives.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2021 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.