This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Fibromyalgia is a long-term condition that causes pain and tender points throughout your body. Fibromyalgia can start at any age.
WHILE YOU ARE HERE:
is a legal document that explains the tests, treatments, or procedures that you may need. Informed consent means you understand what will be done and can make decisions about what you want. You give your permission when you sign the consent form. You can have someone sign this form for you if you are not able to sign it. You have the right to understand your medical care in words you know. Before you sign the consent form, understand the risks and benefits of what will be done. Make sure all your questions are answered.
- Antidepressants are used to help decrease depression, pain, and fatigue.
- Antiseizure medicine is used to reduce fibromyalgia pain.
- Muscle relaxers help decrease pain and muscle spasms.
- Prescription pain medicine may be given. Do not wait until the pain is severe before you ask for more medicine.
- Blood tests: You may need blood taken to give healthcare providers information about how your body is working. The blood may be taken from your hand, arm, or IV.
- A lumbar puncture , or spinal tap, is a procedure to remove fluid from around your spinal cord. A needle is guided into your spine. Spinal fluid is removed through the needle. The fluid will be tested for infection, bleeding around your brain and spinal cord, or other problems.
- A sleep study , or polysomnography, helps show how your brain, heart, and breathing system are working during sleep. The stages of sleep, oxygen levels, body position, eye movement, and snoring during sleep may be monitored.
Pain may make it difficult to do daily activities.
CARE AGREEMENT:You have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your healthcare providers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2021 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Learn more about Fibromyalgia (Inpatient Care)
IBM Watson Micromedex
Symptoms and treatments
Mayo Clinic Reference
Medicine.com Guides (External)
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.