Generic Name: Telotristat Ethyl (tel OH tri state ETH il)
Brand Name: Xermelo
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 28, 2020.
Uses of Telotristat Ethyl:
- It is used to treat carcinoid syndrome diarrhea.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Telotristat Ethyl?
- If you are allergic to telotristat ethyl; any part of telotristat ethyl; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take telotristat ethyl with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Telotristat Ethyl?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take telotristat ethyl. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using telotristat ethyl while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Telotristat Ethyl) best taken?
Use telotristat ethyl as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take telotristat ethyl with food.
- If you also use short-acting octreotide, take the octreotide dose at least 30 minutes after taking telotristat ethyl. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Very bad constipation.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Low mood (depression).
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
What are some other side effects of Telotristat Ethyl?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Telotristat Ethyl?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about telotristat ethyl, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about telotristat
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: miscellaneous GI agents
Other brands: Xermelo