Sterile Talc Powder
Medically reviewed on Sep 5, 2018
Uses of Sterile Talc Powder:
- It is used to stop fluid buildup in the lung cavity.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Sterile Talc Powder?
- If you have an allergy to talc or any other part of Sterile Talc Powder (talc (sterile)).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Some brands of Sterile Talc Powder (talc (sterile)) are not for use during pregnancy.
- If you are breast-feeding. You must not breast-feed for some time after taking some brands of Sterile Talc Powder (talc (sterile)) and for some time after your dose. Talk with your doctor to see if you need to avoid breast-feeding after your dose.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Sterile Talc Powder (talc (sterile)) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Sterile Talc Powder?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Sterile Talc Powder (talc (sterile)). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Some brands of Sterile Talc Powder (talc (sterile)) contain lead. Too much lead may cause nervous system problems, high blood pressure, anemia, and kidney problems. Talk with the doctor.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Products that contain lead may affect sperm in men. This may affect being able to father a child. Talk with your doctor.
- You may need to use birth control to prevent pregnancy for some time after your dose. Talk with your doctor to see if you need to use birth control after your dose.
- Some brands of Sterile Talc Powder (talc (sterile)) contain lead. Products that have lead may cause harm to the unborn baby or loss of the unborn baby if taken during pregnancy. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant.
How is this medicine (Sterile Talc Powder) best taken?
Use Sterile Talc Powder (talc (sterile)) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given into the lung cavity.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly lung problems have happened with Sterile Talc Powder (talc (sterile)). Call your doctor right away if you have lung or breathing problems like trouble breathing, shortness of breath, or a cough that is new or worse.
What are some other side effects of Sterile Talc Powder?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where Sterile Talc Powder (talc (sterile)) is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Sterile Talc Powder?
- If you need to store Sterile Talc Powder (talc (sterile)) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Sterile Talc Powder (talc (sterile)), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.