Stannous Fluoride Gel
Generic Name: Stannous Fluoride Gel (STAN us FLOOR ide)
Brand Name: EasyGel, Just for Kids
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 21, 2020.
Uses of Stannous Fluoride Gel:
- This supplement is used to prevent cavities.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Stannous Fluoride Gel?
- If you have an allergy to fluoride or any other part of stannous fluoride gel.
- If you are allergic to stannous fluoride gel; any part of stannous fluoride gel; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Bone problems, joint problems, kidney problems, or ulcers.
- If the fluoride in your drinking water is greater than or equal to 0.6 parts per million.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with stannous fluoride gel.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take stannous fluoride gel with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Stannous Fluoride Gel?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take stannous fluoride gel. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Tell your dentist if your teeth become stained or spotted.
- Take good care of your teeth. See a dentist often.
- This medicine may cause harm if a large amount is swallowed. If a large amount of stannous fluoride gel is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Different brands of stannous fluoride gel may be for use in different ages of children. Talk with the doctor before giving stannous fluoride gel to a child.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using stannous fluoride gel while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Stannous Fluoride Gel) best taken?
Use stannous fluoride gel as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- If using the gel, apply a pea-sized amount and brush well. Let the drug stay on your teeth for 1 minute before spitting out.
- Do not swallow stannous fluoride gel.
- Do not eat, drink, or rinse for at least 30 minutes after using stannous fluoride gel.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
What are some other side effects of Stannous Fluoride Gel?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Stannous Fluoride Gel?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about stannous fluoride gel, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about fluoride topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 21 Reviews
- Drug class: mouth and throat products
- Fluoride topical
- Sodium Fluoride Cream, Gel, and Paste
- Sodium Fluoride Rinse
- Stannous Fluoride Rinse
- Sodium fluoride Oral, Dental, Oromucosal (Advanced Reading)