Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate
Generic Name: Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate (SOW dee um zir KOE nee um SYE kloe SIL i kate)
Brand Name: Lokelma
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 9, 2020.
Uses of Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate:
- It is used to treat high potassium levels.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate?
- If you are allergic to sodium zirconium cyclosilicate; any part of sodium zirconium cyclosilicate; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have a bowel block.
- If you have any of these health problems: Constipation, low potassium levels, or if you have not had a bowel movement after surgery.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with sodium zirconium cyclosilicate.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take sodium zirconium cyclosilicate with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take sodium zirconium cyclosilicate. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine prevents many other drugs taken by mouth from getting into the body. If you take other drugs by mouth, take them at least 2 hours before or 2 hours after sodium zirconium cyclosilicate. If you are not able to do this, talk with your doctor.
- If you are on a low-sodium or sodium-free diet, talk with your doctor. Some of these products have sodium.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using sodium zirconium cyclosilicate while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate) best taken?
Use sodium zirconium cyclosilicate as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Mix the contents of the packet in a glass with about 3 tablespoons (45 mL) or more of water. Stir well and drink right away.
- If there is powder in the glass after taking your dose, add more water, stir, and drink right away. Do this until there is no more powder.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
What are some other side effects of Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate?
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about sodium zirconium cyclosilicate, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about sodium zirconium cyclosilicate
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: cation exchange resins
Other brands: Lokelma