Generic Name: galantamine (ga-LAN-ta-meen)
Brand Name: Razadyne
Razadyne solution is used for:
Treating mild to moderate dementia (eg, impairment of memory or judgment, abstract thinking, changes in personality) in patients with Alzheimer disease.
Razadyne solution is a cholinesterase inhibitor. It works by increasing the amount of a certain substance (acetylcholine) in the brain, which may help reduce symptoms of dementia in patients with Alzheimer disease.
Do NOT use Razadyne solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Razadyne solution
- you have severe liver or kidney problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Razadyne solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Razadyne solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of liver or kidney problems, heart problems (eg, slow or irregular heartbeat, sick sinus syndrome), unexplained fainting episodes, stomach or bowel problems (eg, ulcer, blockage), lung or breathing problems (eg, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD]), urinary blockage or trouble urinating, or seizures (eg, epilepsy)
- if you have dementia or other decreased mental ability that is not caused by Alzheimer disease
- if you will be having surgery or will be receiving anesthesia
- if you take any medicine that may slow your heartbeat (eg, digoxin, diltiazem, verapamil). Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure if any of your medicines may slow your heartbeat
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Razadyne solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen) because the risk of stomach or bowel bleeding may be increased
- Cholinergic agents (eg, bethanechol), cholinesterase inhibitors (eg, donepezil), ketoconazole, or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, paroxetine) because they may increase the risk of Razadyne solution's side effects
- Anticholinergics (eg, scopolamine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Razadyne solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Razadyne solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Razadyne solution:
Use Razadyne solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- A patient information instruction sheet is available with Razadyne solution. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Razadyne solution by mouth with morning and evening meals, unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- Use the measuring device that comes with Razadyne solution to measure your dose. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- After you have measured the dose, empty all of the medicine into 3 to 4 oz (100 mL) of any nonalcoholic drink. Stir well, then drink the mixture right away.
- After use, rinse the measuring device. This is done by inserting it into a glass of water, pulling the plunger out, and then pushing the plunger back in to remove the water.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Razadyne solution is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Take Razadyne solution on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Taking Razadyne solution at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take Razadyne solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Razadyne solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. Contact your doctor if you miss several doses of Razadyne solution. Your doctor may need to restart your medicine at a lower dose to avoid side effects.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Razadyne solution.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Razadyne solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Razadyne solution may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or fainting. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Razadyne solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- When you begin taking Razadyne solution, your doctor will increase your dose slowly over several months. This may help to decrease the risk of certain side effects (eg, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea). Carefully follow the dosing schedule prescribed by your doctor.
- A severe skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause serious health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- Use Razadyne solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Razadyne solution should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Razadyne solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Razadyne solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Razadyne solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; dizziness; headache; indigestion; loss of appetite; mild stomach pain or upset; nausea; tiredness; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weight loss.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing or swallowing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody, black, or tarry stools; burning, numbness, or tingling; chest pain; confusion; decreased, difficult, or painful urination; fainting; fever; hallucinations; mental or mood changes (eg, anxiety, depression); new or worsening breathing problems (eg, shortness of breath); one-sided weakness; seizures; severe or persistent diarrhea, nausea, stomach pain, or vomiting; severe or persistent dizziness, tiredness, or weakness; slow or irregular heartbeat; speech problems; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; tremor; vision problems; vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Razadyne solution:
Store Razadyne solution at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Do NOT freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Razadyne solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Razadyne solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Razadyne solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Razadyne solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Razadyne solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Razadyne solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Razadyne solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Razadyne (galantamine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: cholinesterase inhibitors
Other brands: Razadyne ER