Pyrethrins and Piperonyl Butoxide Shampoo
Medically reviewed on Sep 5, 2018
Uses of Pyrethrins and Piperonyl Butoxide Shampoo:
- It is used to treat lice.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Pyrethrins and Piperonyl Butoxide Shampoo?
- If you have an allergy to pyrethrins, piperonyl butoxide, ragweed, chrysanthemums, or any other part of pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide shampoo.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide shampoo with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Pyrethrins and Piperonyl Butoxide Shampoo?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide shampoo. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide shampoo is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide shampoo while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Pyrethrins and Piperonyl Butoxide Shampoo) best taken?
Use pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide shampoo as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- Do not take pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide shampoo by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- If you get pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide shampoo in any of these areas, rinse well with water.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Do not wet hair or affected part with water before putting on.
- Shake well before use.
- Lightly coat hair or affected part.
- Work into hair and scalp or affected skin gently.
- Leave on for 10 minutes.
- Do not cover while pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide shampoo is on.
- After 10 minutes, use a little warm water and soap or shampoo on hair and lather.
- Rinse fully.
- Dry with a towel.
- Use special nit comb or tweezers to get rid of dead nits (lice eggs) from hair.
- Wash all bedding, towels, and recently worn clothes in hot water or have them dry cleaned.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad irritation where pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide shampoo is used.
- Eye irritation.
What are some other side effects of Pyrethrins and Piperonyl Butoxide Shampoo?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide shampoo is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Pyrethrins and Piperonyl Butoxide Shampoo?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide shampoo, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about piperonyl butoxide/pyrethrins topical
- Piperonyl butoxide/pyrethrins topical Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 2 Reviews
- Drug class: topical anti-infectives
- Piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins topical
- Pyrethrins and Piperonyl Butoxide Gel and Liquid
- Pyrethrum extract and piperonyl butoxide Topical (Advanced Reading)