Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 7, 2023.
WarningFor all patients taking this medicine:
- This medicine has an opioid drug in it. Opioid drugs can put you at risk for addiction, abuse, and misuse. Misuse or abuse of Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) can lead to overdose and death. If you have questions, talk with your doctor.
- This medicine has an opioid drug in it. Severe side effects have happened when opioid drugs were used with benzodiazepines or other drugs that may make you drowsy or slow your actions. This includes slow or troubled breathing and death. Benzodiazepines include drugs like alprazolam, diazepam, and lorazepam. Benzodiazepines may be used to treat many health problems like anxiety, trouble sleeping, or seizures. If you have questions, talk with your doctor.
- Many drugs interact with Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) and can raise the chance of side effects like deadly breathing problems. Talk with your doctor and pharmacist to make sure it is safe to use Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) with all of your drugs.
- Avoid alcohol or other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Get medical help right away if you feel very sleepy, very dizzy, or if you pass out. Caregivers or others need to get medical help right away if the patient does not respond, does not answer or react like normal, or will not wake up.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly breathing problems have happened with Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine). Talk with the doctor.
- Get medical help right away if you have slow breathing, shallow breathing, or trouble breathing.
- This medicine is not for use in children younger than 18 years of age. The benefits of taking Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) for a cough due to allergies, a cold, or other infection do not outweigh the risks in children. If your child has been given Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) or if you have any questions, talk with your child's doctor.
Uses of Pro-Clear AC:
- It is used to ease allergy signs.
- It is used to relieve coughing.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Pro-Clear AC?
- If you have an allergy to any part of Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine).
- If you are allergic to Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine); any part of Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Lung or breathing problems like asthma, trouble breathing, or sleep apnea; high levels of carbon dioxide in the blood; or stomach or bowel block or narrowing.
- If you have a cough with a lot of mucus.
- If you have a long-term cough caused by smoking or being around smoke, or lung problems like asthma or emphysema.
- If you have any of these health problems: A growth or tumor in the brain, heart disease, or high blood pressure.
- If you have taken certain drugs for depression or Parkinson's disease in the last 14 days. This includes isocarboxazid, phenelzine, tranylcypromine, selegiline, or rasagiline. Very high blood pressure may happen.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Linezolid or methylene blue.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Buprenorphine, butorphanol, nalbuphine, or pentazocine.
- If you have been told by your doctor that you are a rapid metabolizer of some drugs.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Pro-Clear AC?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- Do not take Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- This medicine may be habit-forming with long-term use.
- If you have been taking Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) on a regular basis and you stop it all of a sudden, you may have signs of withdrawal. Do not stop taking Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) all of a sudden without calling your doctor. Tell your doctor if you have any bad effects.
- Do not take Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) with other strong pain drugs or if you are using a pain patch without talking to your doctor first.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine).
- Keep away from children. Accidental exposure may cause death. If a child takes Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) by accident, get medical help right away.
- The chance of very bad side effects may be higher in children. This may be more likely to happen in children who have breathing problems. Deadly breathing problems have happened with the use of codeine in some children. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine), call your doctor right away.
- Using Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) for a long time during pregnancy may lead to withdrawal in the newborn baby. This can be life-threatening. Talk with the doctor.
How is this medicine (Pro-Clear AC) best taken?
Use Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Chest pain or pressure or a fast heartbeat.
- Trouble breathing, slow breathing, or shallow breathing.
- Noisy breathing.
- Feeling very sleepy.
- Feeling confused.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Mood changes.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Very bad headache.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Change in eyesight.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad constipation.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
What are some other side effects of Pro-Clear AC?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Sweating a lot.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Dry mouth.
- Dry nose.
- Thickening of mucus in nose or throat.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Pro-Clear AC?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Pro-Clear AC (pyrilamine and codeine), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Pro-Clear AC (codeine / pyrilamine)
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.