Generic Name: prenatal multivitamins and minerals with iron, folic acid, and l-methylfolate (pree-NATE-al VYE-ta-mins)
Brand Name: Prenate Elite
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call the poison control center or doctor at once.
Prenate Elite is used for:
Treating or preventing a lack of vitamins or minerals before, during, and after pregnancy and while breast-feeding. It may also be used for treating and preventing certain conditions as determined by your doctor.
Prenate Elite is a vitamin and mineral combination. It provides vitamins and minerals to the body to help meet nutritional requirements.
Do NOT use Prenate Elite if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Prenate Elite
- you have high blood iron levels, hemochromatosis (an iron metabolism problem), or Wilson disease (a copper metabolism problem)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Prenate Elite:
Some medical conditions may interact with Prenate Elite. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have stomach or intestinal problems (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), blood problems (eg, anemia, porphyria, thalassemia), bleeding problems (eg, hemophilia), peptic ulcer, or kidney stones
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Prenate Elite. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased by Prenate Elite
- Cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate) because severe side effects may occur
- Acitretin or fluorouracil because their actions and the risk of their side effects may be increased by Prenate Elite
- Doxycycline, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), mycophenolate, penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Prenate Elite.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Prenate Elite may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Prenate Elite:
Use Prenate Elite as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you should take Prenate Elite with food or on an empty stomach. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Prenate Elite by mouth with a full glass of water.
- Avoid taking Prenate Elite with dairy products; they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in Prenate Elite.
- If you also take antacids, azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), bisphosphonates (eg, alendronate), cephalosporins (eg, cefdinir), dabigatran, eltrombopag, methyldopa, quinolones (eg, levofloxacin), or tetracyclines (eg, minocycline), check with your doctor or pharmacist to see how you should take them with Prenate Elite.
- If you miss a dose of Prenate Elite, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Prenate Elite.
Important safety information:
- Prenate Elite may darken the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Prenate Elite has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. Keep this product out of the reach of children. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Prenate Elite is intended for use during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Prenate Elite, check with your doctor.
Possible side effects of Prenate Elite:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; darkened or green stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stools; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry stools; chest pain; lack of feeling alert; loss of balance; seizure; severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain; shortness of breath; sluggishness; trouble breathing; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusually pale skin; weak pulse.Proper storage of Prenate Elite:
Store Prenate Elite at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Prenate Elite out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Prenate Elite, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Prenate Elite is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Prenate Elite or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Prenate Elite. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Prenate Elite. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Prenate Elite.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Prenate Elite (multivitamin, prenatal)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: iron products