Generic Name: pemirolast (pem-EER-oh-last)
Brand Name: Alamast
Pemirolast is used for:
Preventing itching of the eye due to allergies.
Pemirolast is a mast cell stabilizer. It works by preventing the release of chemicals in the eye that cause allergy symptoms.
Do NOT use pemirolast if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in pemirolast
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using pemirolast:
Some medical conditions may interact with pemirolast. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you wear contact lenses
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with pemirolast. However, no specific interactions with pemirolast are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if pemirolast may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use pemirolast:
Use pemirolast as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Pemirolast is for use in the eye only. Avoid contact with other mucous membranes.
- To use pemirolast, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them. To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including your eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- You may notice decreased eye itching within a few days of starting pemirolast, but it may take up to 4 weeks. Use pemirolast regularly to receive the most benefit from it.
- If you miss a dose of pemirolast, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use pemirolast.
Important safety information:
- Do not use pemirolast for future eye problems without first checking with your doctor.
- Do not wear soft contact lenses while using pemirolast if your eyes are red. If your eyes are not red, wait at least 10 minutes after using pemirolast before inserting contact lenses.
- Use pemirolast with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 3 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been established.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while using pemirolast, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using pemirolast during pregnancy. It is unknown if pemirolast is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using pemirolast, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of pemirolast:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Burning sensation in the eye; dry eyes; eye discomfort; headache; runny nose; sneezing.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fever.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of pemirolast:
Store pemirolast between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep pemirolast out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about pemirolast, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pemirolast is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take pemirolast or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about pemirolast. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to pemirolast. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using pemirolast.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about pemirolast ophthalmic
- Other brands: Alamast