Generic Name: Malathion (mal a THYE on)
Brand Name: Ovide
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 1, 2019.
Uses of Ovide:
- It is used to treat head lice.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Ovide?
- If you have an allergy to malathion or any other part of Ovide (malathion).
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Ovide (malathion) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Ovide?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Ovide (malathion). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may catch on fire. Do not use near an open flame, while smoking, or near electric heat sources (blow dryer, curling iron). Avoid these heat sources when hair is wet from Ovide (malathion).
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Ovide (malathion) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not give Ovide (malathion) to an infant.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Ovide (malathion) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Ovide) best taken?
Use Ovide (malathion) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Ovide (malathion) by mouth. Use on your scalp and hair only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, ears, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Do not wet hair before putting Ovide (malathion) on.
- Close your eyes tightly when putting Ovide (malathion) on.
- Apply just enough to wet hair.
- Work into hair and scalp gently.
- Let hair air dry and do not cover.
- Leave on for 8 to 12 hours.
- Wash hair with a drug-free shampoo.
- Rinse fully.
- Use special nit comb or tweezers to get rid of dead nits (lice eggs) from hair.
- Wash all bedding, towels, and recently worn clothes in hot water or have them dry cleaned.
- If you get Ovide (malathion) in your eyes, wash right away with water. If you have eye irritation that lasts or a change in eyesight, call your doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Most of the time, only one dose of Ovide (malathion) is needed. If you forget to put on the dose, put it on as soon as you think about it.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Irritation where Ovide (malathion) is used.
What are some other side effects of Ovide?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Ovide?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat or open flame.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Ovide (malathion), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about Ovide (malathion topical)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 4 Reviews
- Drug class: topical anti-infectives