Generic Name: Methyl Salicylate, Menthol, and Capsaicin Lotion (METH il sa LIS i late, MEN thol, & kap SAY sin)
Brand Name: Bio-Therm Pain Relieving Lotion, Dendracin Neurodendraxcin, Exoten-C Pain Relief, New Terocin, Transanosil, ...show all 7 brand names.Ultracin, Xoten-C
Medically reviewed on Sep 5, 2018
Uses of New Terocin:
- It is used to ease muscle and joint aches and pain.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take New Terocin?
- If you have an allergy to New Terocin (methyl salicylate, menthol, and capsaicin lotion) or any part of New Terocin (methyl salicylate, menthol, and capsaicin lotion).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take New Terocin (methyl salicylate, menthol, and capsaicin lotion) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take New Terocin?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take New Terocin (methyl salicylate, menthol, and capsaicin lotion). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Use care when using on a large part of the skin. Talk with the doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If New Terocin (methyl salicylate, menthol, and capsaicin lotion) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Do not use heat or bandages on the treated part.
- Do not use right before or after a bath, shower, or heavy exercise.
- Avoid use of heat sources (such as sunlamps, tanning beds, heating pads, electric blankets, heat lamps, saunas, hot tubs, heated waterbeds). Avoid long, hot baths or sunbathing. Your temperature may rise and cause too much drug to pass into your body.
- Do not breathe in New Terocin (methyl salicylate, menthol, and capsaicin lotion) after it has dried. May cause nose or throat irritation.
- Take New Terocin (methyl salicylate, menthol, and capsaicin lotion) off of the skin if very bad burning or itching happens.
- If signs get worse or last for more than 7 days, talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may stain clothes or fabric. Let it dry before covering with clothes or touching the treated area to other types of fabric.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using New Terocin (methyl salicylate, menthol, and capsaicin lotion) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (New Terocin) best taken?
Use New Terocin (methyl salicylate, menthol, and capsaicin lotion) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take New Terocin (methyl salicylate, menthol, and capsaicin lotion) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Do not put on the genitals.
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Shake well before use.
- Put on clean, dry, healthy skin.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Before you use New Terocin (methyl salicylate, menthol, and capsaicin lotion) for the first time, rub a little bit onto the skin of your arm to check if you will have a skin reaction.
- Put a thin layer on the affected part and rub in gently.
- Do not put on cuts, scrapes, or damaged skin.
- Do not use on open wounds or infected skin.
- Do not cover with dressings.
- If hands are treated, do not wash your hands for 30 minutes after you put on New Terocin (methyl salicylate, menthol, and capsaicin lotion). Do not touch your eyes, nose, mouth, genitals, irritated skin, or contact lenses until you wash your hands.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use New Terocin (methyl salicylate, menthol, and capsaicin lotion) on a regular basis, put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses or extra doses.
- Many times New Terocin (methyl salicylate, menthol, and capsaicin lotion) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad skin irritation.
- Very bad burning or burning that does not go away.
What are some other side effects of New Terocin?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out New Terocin?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Protect from heat.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about New Terocin (methyl salicylate, menthol, and capsaicin lotion), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.