Generic Name: gonadorelin (goe-nad-oh-RELL-in)
Brand Name: Factrel
Gonadorelin is used for:
Evaluating how well the hypothalamus and pituitary glands are working. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Gonadorelin is a gonadotropin-releasing hormone. It works by causing the pituitary gland to release other hormones (luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone) that control development in children and fertility in adults.
Do NOT use gonadorelin if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in gonadorelin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using gonadorelin:
Some medical conditions may interact with gonadorelin. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have or have a history of cancer or abnormal growths or lumps
- if you have a cyst on your ovary or ovarian hyperstimulation
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with gonadorelin. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Other infertility medicines (eg, clomiphene) because the risk of side effects may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if gonadorelin may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use gonadorelin:
Use gonadorelin as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Gonadorelin is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using gonadorelin at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If gonadorelin contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of gonadorelin, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use gonadorelin.
Important safety information:
- LAB TESTS, including blood samples, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Gonadorelin is not recommended for use in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using gonadorelin during pregnancy. It is unknown if gonadorelin is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breastfeeding while you are using gonadorelin, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of gonadorelin:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fast pulse; flushing; hoarseness; shortness of breath; swelling, pain, and redness at the injection site.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of gonadorelin:
Gonadorelin is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using gonadorelin at home, store gonadorelin as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep gonadorelin out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about gonadorelin, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Gonadorelin is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about gonadorelin. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about gonadorelin
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: gonadotropin releasing hormones
Other brands: Factrel