Generic Name: glucagon (GLOO-ka-gon)
Brand Name: GlucaGen
Glucagon is used for:
Aiding diagnosis in certain medical procedures. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Glucagon is a hormone. It works by relaxing muscles in the stomach and intestines.
Do NOT use glucagon if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in glucagon
- you have tumors on your adrenal gland (pheochromocytoma) or pancreas
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using glucagon:
Some medical conditions may interact with glucagon. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes, a history of adrenal gland problems, or a tumor that produces insulin, or you are malnourished
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with glucagon. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of their side effects, including increased risk of bleeding, may be increased by glucagon
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if glucagon may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use glucagon:
Use glucagon as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with glucagon. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Glucagon is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using glucagon at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use glucagon. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use glucagon if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of glucagon, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use glucagon.
Important safety information:
- Glucagon should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using glucagon while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use glucagon, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of glucagon:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fainting; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; dizziness; rapid pulse; severe or prolonged nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of glucagon:
Glucagon is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using glucagon at home, store glucagon as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep glucagon out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about glucagon, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Glucagon is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about glucagon. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about glucagon
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
Other brands: GlucaGen