Generic Name: ferric citrate (FER-ik SI-trate)
Brand Name: Zerenex
Ferric citrate is used for:
Reducing phosphate levels.
Ferric citrate is a phosphate binder. It works by preventing phosphate in the stomach and intestines from being absorbed into the body.
Do NOT use ferric citrate if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in ferric citrate
- you have certain problems with iron metabolism (eg, hemosiderosis, hemochromatosis) or high levels of iron in your blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using ferric citrate:
Some medical conditions may interact with ferric citrate. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have inflammatory bowel disease, stomach or bowel bleeding, or low phosphate levels
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with ferric citrate. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines.
Ask your health care provider if ferric citrate may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use ferric citrate:
Use ferric citrate as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take ferric citrate with meals.
- Ferric citrate may stop other medicines from getting into the body. If you take other medicines, check with your doctor to see if you need to take them at some other time than ferric citrate.
- If you miss a dose of ferric citrate, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use ferric citrate.
Important safety information:
- Be sure to follow the diet plan prescribed by your health care provider.
- Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this product out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Lab tests, including iron and phosphate levels, may be performed while you take ferric citrate. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of taking ferric citrate while you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are taking ferric citrate, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of ferric citrate:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; cough; dark stools; diarrhea; nausea; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent constipation, diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of ferric citrate:
Store ferric citrate at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep ferric citrate out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about ferric citrate, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ferric citrate is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take ferric citrate or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about ferric citrate. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to ferric citrate. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using ferric citrate.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about ferric citrate
Other brands: Auryxia