Generic Name: Secukinumab (sek ue KIN ue mab)
Brand Name: Cosentyx, Cosentyx 300 Dose, Cosentyx Sensoready 300 Dose, Cosentyx Sensoready Pen
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 28, 2019.
Uses of Cosentyx 300 Dose:
- It is used to treat plaque psoriasis.
- It is used to treat psoriatic arthritis.
- It is used to treat ankylosing spondylitis.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Cosentyx 300 Dose?
- If you have an allergy to Cosentyx 300 Dose (secukinumab) or any part of Cosentyx 300 Dose (secukinumab).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have an infection.
- If you have active TB (tuberculosis).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Cosentyx 300 Dose (secukinumab).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Cosentyx 300 Dose (secukinumab) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Cosentyx 300 Dose?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Cosentyx 300 Dose (secukinumab). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you have a latex allergy, talk with your doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- You may have more chance of getting an infection. Wash hands often. Stay away from people with infections, colds, or flu.
- Make sure you are up to date with all your vaccines before treatment with Cosentyx 300 Dose (secukinumab).
- Talk with your doctor before getting any vaccines. Use of some vaccines with Cosentyx 300 Dose (secukinumab) may either raise the chance of an infection or make the vaccine not work as well.
- You will need a TB (tuberculosis) test before starting Cosentyx 300 Dose (secukinumab).
- If you have inflammatory bowel disease like ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease, talk with your doctor. New and worsening inflammatory bowel disease has happened with Cosentyx 300 Dose (secukinumab). Sometimes this may be very bad. Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may affect how much of some other drugs are in your body. If you are taking other drugs, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while taking Cosentyx 300 Dose (secukinumab) with your other drugs.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Cosentyx 300 Dose (secukinumab) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Cosentyx 300 Dose) best taken?
Use Cosentyx 300 Dose (secukinumab) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot into the fatty part of the skin on the top of the thigh, belly area, or upper arm.
- If you will be giving yourself the shot, your doctor or nurse will teach you how to give the shot.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Move the site where you give the shot with each shot.
- Do not give into skin within 2 inches of the belly button.
- Do not use if the solution is cloudy, leaking, or has particles.
- This medicine is colorless to a faint yellow. Do not use if the solution changes color.
- Do not give into skin that is irritated, bruised, red, infected, or scarred.
- Do not give into skin that is affected by psoriasis.
- Do not shake.
- Before using Cosentyx 300 Dose (secukinumab), take it out of the refrigerator. Allow to reach room temperature (15 to 30 minutes) without taking off the needle cap. Do not heat Cosentyx 300 Dose (secukinumab).
- Use within 1 hour of taking out of the refrigerator.
- Throw away any part not used after use.
- Throw away needles in a needle/sharp disposal box. Do not reuse needles or other items. When the box is full, follow all local rules for getting rid of it. Talk with a doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- Warm, red, or painful skin or sores on the body.
- Sweating a lot.
- Muscle pain or weakness.
- Shortness of breath.
- Passing urine more often.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
What are some other side effects of Cosentyx 300 Dose?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Cosentyx 300 Dose?
- Store in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Store in original container.
- Protect from light.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Cosentyx 300 Dose (secukinumab) is refilled. If you have any questions about Cosentyx 300 Dose (secukinumab), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Cosentyx (secukinumab)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 102 Reviews
- Drug class: interleukin inhibitors