Generic name: Ciclopirox Shampoo (sye kloe PEER ox)
Brand name: Loprox
Drug class: Topical antifungals
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 29, 2021.
Uses of Ciclopirox Shampoo:
- It is used to treat fungal infections of the skin.
- It is used to control seborrheic dermatitis.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Ciclopirox Shampoo?
- If you have an allergy to ciclopirox or any other part of ciclopirox shampoo.
- If you are allergic to ciclopirox shampoo; any part of ciclopirox shampoo; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take ciclopirox shampoo with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Ciclopirox Shampoo?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take ciclopirox shampoo. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If ciclopirox shampoo is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using ciclopirox shampoo while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Ciclopirox Shampoo) best taken?
Use ciclopirox shampoo as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- Do not take ciclopirox shampoo by mouth. Use on your scalp and hair only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, ears, and eyes (may burn).
- Wet hair and scalp.
- Put on enough shampoo to make a lather.
- Lather well and leave on for 3 minutes.
- Rinse well.
- Shampoo 2 times a week with 3 days between shampoos.
- Throw away any part not used after treatment is done.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Irritation where ciclopirox shampoo is used.
- Blisters or sores.
- Oozing or bleeding.
What are some other side effects of Ciclopirox Shampoo?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Change in color of hair.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Ciclopirox Shampoo?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about ciclopirox shampoo, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Frequently asked questions
More about ciclopirox topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 49 Reviews
- Drug class: topical antifungals
- Drug Information
- Ciclopirox Topical (Advanced Reading)
- Ciclopirox Cream
- Ciclopirox Cream and Cleanser Kit
- Ciclopirox Gel
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.