Amphotericin B Cholesteryl Sulfate Complex
Generic name: Amphotericin B Cholesteryl Sulfate Complex (am foe TER i sin bee kole LES te ril SUL fate KOM plecks)
Brand name: Amphotec
Drug class: Polyenes
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 13, 2020.
Uses of Amphotericin B Cholesteryl Sulfate Complex:
- It is used to treat fungal infections.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Amphotericin B Cholesteryl Sulfate Complex?
- If you have an allergy to amphotericin or any other part of amphotericin B cholesteryl sulfate complex.
- If you are allergic to amphotericin B cholesteryl sulfate complex; any part of amphotericin B cholesteryl sulfate complex; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take amphotericin B cholesteryl sulfate complex with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Amphotericin B Cholesteryl Sulfate Complex?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take amphotericin B cholesteryl sulfate complex. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have your blood work checked. Talk with your doctor.
- Some people have had side effects within a few hours of the start of the infusion. Tell your doctor if you have any bad effects during this time.
- Other drugs may be given to help with infusion side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using amphotericin B cholesteryl sulfate complex while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Amphotericin B Cholesteryl Sulfate Complex) best taken?
Use amphotericin B cholesteryl sulfate complex as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot into a vein over a period of time.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- Signs of electrolyte problems like mood changes, confusion, muscle pain or weakness, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, seizures, not hungry, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Shortness of breath.
- Fever or chills.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Fast breathing.
- A fast heartbeat.
- Very bad headache.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
What are some other side effects of Amphotericin B Cholesteryl Sulfate Complex?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Not hungry.
- Weight loss.
- Muscle pain.
- Joint pain.
- Belly pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Amphotericin B Cholesteryl Sulfate Complex?
- If you need to store amphotericin B cholesteryl sulfate complex at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about amphotericin B cholesteryl sulfate complex, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about amphotericin b cholesteryl sulfate
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.