Trazodone - does trazadone stop anxiety and panic attacks?

Anonymous 5 Jan 2013

Trazodone is used in the treatment of sedation; depression; reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome; insomnia; headache, and belongs to the drug class phenylpiperazine antidepressants.

Trazodone is associated with the treatment of:

Anxiety
Depression
Fibromyalgia
Headache
Insomnia
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome
Sedation

Raed more at: https://www.drugs.com/trazodone.html

https://www.drugs.com/condition/panic-disorder.html

Take care,

masso.-

Anonymous 5 Jan 2013

Hello spot1235. Trazadone/Desyrel is a antidepressant. It is one of the older drugs. It is more often perscribed today for off label use then as an antidepressant. "Off label" meaning for other reasons than as an antidepressant. These include the treatment for Alcoholism, Insomnia, Anxiety and Panic disorders. Regards pledge

spot1234 6 Jan 2013

Thx im so scared to try it. Every ssri I tried I felt like I was exploding. Do you take it how long to work I cant sleep do you get blurry vision or anxiety when you first start it mr dr told me to take 12 mg to start I heard it was a night mare to come off of. Advise please

ezekiel12142010 12 days ago

I don't understand how it can be an antidepressent AND anti-anxiety? I also did not know it had anything to do with helping with fibromyalgia, which I suffer from as well as Bi-Polar. After YEARS of taking this, I am having sleep issues where I will have either insomnia or I will sleep all day. My Dr. says Trazadone is likely one of the meds that I am on causing this. I drink a good amount of coffee some days, but ironically those are not the days I suffer from insomnia. I am beginning to think changing to something else is not worth it :(

pickles503 6 Jan 2013

Hi there spot. I'm Anna. Yes, trazadone can be used for anxiety and panic attacks. It's effective, often leading to signficant improvement in anxiety within 2-6 wks. Sometimes it's used for both. My experience was good. I took it for a few years before I changed to another med. I slept better and it slowed down and I had more clarity . Of course, you need to talk to a Dr. about this. Sometimes trazadone is used for insomnia. I hope you find the answer to your question. God bless you, spot. Anna

kdennis14 24 Feb 2014

Hi, I have been taking it since 2007 and it works well for me too.
Karen

ezekiel12142010 12 days ago

Hi Anna, Jackie here. What med did you switch too? I suffer from panic and anxiety attacks, and it helps me to remain calm so that I can sleep which is great. However, now I sleep most of the day away, and occassionaly have insomnia too for random days of the month. The fact that it helps my anxiety and panic is worth staying on in and of itself. But if the med you changed too does that too AND gives you clarity I would like to know what it is so I can discuss this with my dr.
Thank you!

angel1662 6 Jan 2013

hello spot1234,
trazadone is an can be used for deppresio/anxiety/sleeping aid... but speaking for someone like myself that has been on it, in my opinion it didn't do nothing for me accept make me feel groggy the next day... 1 of my conditions is panic with agoraphobia... and it did nothing for me, but I am not saying this med. doesn't work it just didn't for me for my panic is off the hook it's that bad... it didn't even help me sleep at a high dosage, but see i have alot not saying u don't mh issues, and what didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for u... so all i can say if u haven't tried it yet, is try it and see what happens, if bye some chance it doesn't work, then the doc will go from there... these meds are all trial and error... it took me so long 2 get to the one that worked for me... good luck and i hope it works for u for i no what it is like first hand to have panic disorder...

spot1234 9 Jan 2013

Have you tried nefazadone

jelopa418 27 Apr 2014

what do you take now for the severe anxiety and panic? I'm struggling myself

Roxy7000 8 Jan 2013

I take trazedone to help with my insomnia, although I also have major anxiety issues. It doesn't kick in right away, but you will slowly start to feel drowsy. I take 50 mg at bedtime, but am unsure what the dosage would be for only anxiety. I know taking it for insomnia ,makes me extremely lazy, and tired the next day.

jacota1101 10 Jan 2013

I suffer terrible panic attacks, at this point i'm doing "okay" on Prozac and Xanax PRN. I did take Trazadone at one point for sleep, I was panicing in my sleep continuiosly for a while and eventually became afraid to go to bed! Unforturnately, on the day I tried a dose of Trazadone I had a full blown panic attack 20 miutes after I took it which is a HUGE step backwards because I usually don't panic in my "safe places" ie:home. I react just fine to other SSRI's and have tried many... good luck.

spot1234 8 Feb 2013

Is prozak stimulating how long before it works ses like I took 5 mg had severe panic attack I heard it keeps u from sleeping. I tried lexs pro had to take 1mg a t s time I add hook inside yo bad is prozac like that

crowsoul 17 Sep 2013

I have awful panic and GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) as well as major depression and OCD. For me, Prozac was the winner, though I "fixed" my dosage by alternating 40 and 60mgs after I was used to the drug. My doc agreed with me that my correct level was around 50mgs and since Prozac doesn't come in 50s here, we want with the compromise. Prozac is a drug with a long half life so the side effects never got bad with that type of use.

Moving on to trazadone, I found I was prone to very sudden night terrors, some shortly after REM sleep and some 3 or more hours in. In my case I found that if 50 to 85 mgs of trazadone was taken, I could fall soundly asleep after less than one hour awake and sleep through, barring interruptions. I had to give my usual panic-reducing methods a chance to work, though: progressive relaxation, affirmations, meditation, distraction, exercise, whatever my doc suggested or whatever relaxed me at the time.

amsterdam1 8 Feb 2013

Have been taking Trazodone for about 1 year and it woks for me with my sleep and depression. But only just last week was told by my pharmacy they cant get it any more and could not give me the reason why, any know why??

Lisa1960 23 Nov 2014

How did this turn out? How old are you?

laurap89 21 Mar 2013

Hi ive been on trazadone for a year my dr decided to cut me down and take me off them i was on 250mg a night now im 50mg a night but ivbeen taking panic attacks more frequent before it helped now im having one once maybe twice a week. The attacks just come on whei doing day to day things like laundry or watching tv now im scared to leave house incase i have one. Cant get a drs appointment for 3 weeks.

Teka baby 2 Aug 2016

Does seroquel help control panic attacks

shellybeans 2 Aug 2016

HI! Yes, Seroquel, at least for me has been beneficial for my anxiety and panic attacks! I am only on it about two months and at only 25mg at bedtime, but I have not had a restless, anxious ridden night from the first night for me.. I find I have to take it about two hours before I want to go to sleep and I don't take it too late or I am groggy the next morning. My sister takes 200mg at bedtime and calls it her Godsend essentially. I personally never tried Trazadone, I used to give it alot in in-patient detox rehabs I worked in for sleep if the patient wanted it but most took it and said it did not help much for sleep or anxiety but we are all are different, as you read here, some have had good results but I can only relay my positive experience with Seroquel, I was shocked with one finally working sooner than later, it is not the solution to all my mental health diagnoses and some meds need tweaking but the Seroquel and my Lamictal for my OCD and Anxiety are staying put n my "cocktail" of head meds.! Hope this helps!