Do any psychiatrists or doctors prescribe tramadol for depression?

Stephen Treloar 11 Feb 2018

I think the days of doctors prescribing happy feel good analgesics are over.

WildcatVet 11 Feb 2018

Tramadol is a non-narcotic pain killer. It is not indicated for the treatment of depression, can be habituating, and can also cause severe side effects.
It may be prescribed in some cases but it is an off-label use and the drug has not been tested or approved for efficacy.
Regards, Wildcat

Lacey57 12 Feb 2018

Tramadol is a pain pill.

Quando62 19 days ago

It is being used in Treatment Resistant Depression as it works very similar to Effexor as a SNRI. I have been taking it for depression and motivation for 7 years now. Not much for the pain, but within 30 minutes, I can deal with issues and become interested in things

bmorga 18 days ago

I have tried all kinds of ssri s including currently the emsam patch. If i could be prescribed a very low dose of tramadol that i could take a few times a week even, it would be so nice. I took it for pain, then continued till I ran out after a few months. Had no side effects or withdrawal. But for the first time, I had no anxiety and depression it really helped me to feel better. How would I go about getting a doctor to prescribe this to me for anxiety and depression since I don't have pain other than my back hurts but not enough to get tramadol. Would I see a psychiatrist? Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Dominique20 19 days ago

I have wondered the same thing myself. I used to take Tramadol for pain after I injured my back three years ago. I got scared because I couldn't seem to stop taking them and I began ordering them from overseas online. I weaned myself off several times, but after about a month each time, I found myself taking a half a 50 mg pill, which became a daily thing. I realized that it had nothing to do with pain, but was stabilizing my mood significantly. I have always suffered from low-grade depression and have been on Prozac and Zoloft in the past. The Tramadol seemed to suit me, because I do still have chronic pain, and I also have the depression, so taking just 25 mg. once a day seems to really improve my life significantly. However, I don't want to be on them forever and ever, so I am once again, stopping even the very small dose I've been taking. And the depression is excruciating.

Swandive 18 days ago

Good for you! I have been going through withdrawal from Tramadol & it's tough - extremely so at first. But it does get better. I'm already not as depressed as I was at first, but now I'm starting to take an interest in things & find some enjoyment in life. Walking outdoors helps a lot. This is day 76 since taking my last 50 mg tablet & my biggest problem is sleep and RLS, but there are nights when I do sleep well. (I do take meds for sleep, but after the WD symptoms are gone, I'm going to work on getting off of those), I have a good pain doctor & he is very encouraging.

bmorga 18 days ago

Did you get these overseas with or without a prescription? Thanks. free discount card