"Lidocaine is a medicine called a local anaesthetic which is used to produce
numbness to a part of your body to relieve pain or discomfort.
Lidocaine Ointment is used:
• for numbing gums in dentistry
• for rectal itch or ulcers (pruritus ani or anal
• for relief of female genital itch (pruritus
• for relief of piles (haemorrhoids)
• for relief of shingles (herpes zoster), cold
sores (herpes labialis)
• for the relief of sore nipples in nursing
• as a lubricant for rectal or urethral
examination (proctoscopy and cystoscopy)."
I was prescribed the ointment for bursitis in my shoulder. It also works on my back pain. I have also have read that it can be used for toothaches.
- Lidocaine Information for Consumers
- Lidocaine Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Lidocaine (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.