Urex Side Effects
Generic Name: methenamine
Note: This page contains side effects data for the generic drug methenamine. It is possible that some of the dosage forms included below may not apply to the brand name Urex.
For the Consumer
Applies to methenamine: oral suspension, oral tablet, oral tablet enteric coated
As well as its needed effects, methenamine (the active ingredient contained in Urex) may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention.
If any of the following side effects occur while taking methenamine, check with your doctor immediately:Less common
- Skin rash
- Blood in urine
- lower back pain
- pain or burning while urinating
Some methenamine side effects may not need any medical attention. As your body gets used to the medicine these side effects may disappear. Your health care professional may be able to help you prevent or reduce these side effects, but do check with them if any of the following side effects continue, or if you are concerned about them:Less common
- Nausea and vomiting
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to methenamine: compounding powder, oral suspension, oral tablet
This drug was generally well tolerated. Minor side effects have been reported in less than 3.5% of patients and were reversible when the drug was stopped.[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Rash, pruritus
Frequency not reported: Generalized skin rash[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Gastric irritation
Frequency not reported: Nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, stomatitis, gastrointestinal disturbances, diarrhea, abdominal cramping[Ref]
High doses have been associated with albuminuria, gross hematuria, bladder irritation, and painful/frequent micturition.[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Bladder irritation
Frequency not reported: Dysuria, hematuria, urinary frequency, albuminuria[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Elevated AST, elevated ALT[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Hypersensitivity reactions[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Anorexia
Frequency not reported: Anterior uveitis[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Hiprex (methenamine)." Hoechst Marion-Roussel Inc, Kansas City, MO.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
4. Gleckman R, Alvarez S, Joubert D, Matthews S "Drug therapy reviews: methenamine mandelate and methenamine hippurate." Am J Hosp Pharm 36 (1979): 1509-12
5. "Product Information. Mandelamine (methenamine)." Parke-Davis, Morris Plains, NJ.
6. Australian Drug Evaluation Committee "Adverse effects of drugs commonly used in the treatment of urinary tract infection." Med J Aust 1 (1972): 435-8
7. Brumfitt W, Hamilton-Miller J, Gargan R, Cooper J, Smith GW "Long-term prophylaxis of urinary infections in women: comparative trial of trimethoprim, methenamine hippurate and topical povidone-iodine." J Urol 130 (1983): 1110-4
8. Brumfitt W, Cooper J, Hamilton-Miller J "Prevention of recurrent urinary infections in women: a comparative trial between nitrofurantoin and methenamine hippurate." J Urol 126 (1981): 71-4
9. Kolker RJ "Medication-induced bilateral anterior uveitis." Arch Ophthalmol 109 (1991): 1343
It is possible that some side effects of Urex may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
More about Urex (methenamine)
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.